sazabiskythe

Front bumper 'sagging' / gap

2 hours ago, will300 said:

Thanks for this, had a read up on it and popped out to check my car. Looks like the bumper clips are actually broken completely. I haven't had the bumper off before except for warranty work at Toyota so will have to speak to them about this.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 9:40 PM, Cerastes said:

Is that classified as a "recall" for Subaru to fix free of charge? (I'm too lazy to read all that). 

If so, I wonder if Toyota is doing the same? 

Nothing official. But if the car is in warranty it could be worth contacting your local dealer and forwarding the information from this bulletin to see if anything is heading to the uk.

I have made a note of the part number in case I get problems next time I take my bumper off. Would be handy to add a couple of the clips :)

On 08/01/2019 at 9:40 PM, Cerastes said:

Is that classified as a "recall" for Subaru to fix free of charge? (I'm too lazy to read all that). 

No, I don't think it is. Just a Technical Bulletin on how to fix it. So warranty or paid....

Thread bump!

My bumper is sagging a little. Thought I'd phone the Subaru dealer, see how much those clips were in the service bulletin...looks like something I could fix myself in about 20 minutes.

£15.82 each and no stock in the UK. Three week wait from Japan. 

Probably easier and cheaper to get hold of some scrap metal and make something yourself. As far as I can see, it's just a metal shim to reinforce the plastic and stop it from rounding.

EDIT: In fact, thinking about it, there's can of Carslberg that's been sitting in my fridge since it was brought to my house for a barbecue about 4 years ago. Can't bear to drink it, but now I won't feel bad pouring it down the sink so I can recycle the can and make something myself :D

Ah ok you meant the full plastic brackets on the wing. From reading the service bulletin though that won't fix the issue as well, as the wear is on the bumper molding and that is why it keeps popping out.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, Conscript said:

Thread bump!

My bumper is sagging a little. Thought I'd phone the Subaru dealer, see how much those clips were in the service bulletin...looks like something I could fix myself in about 20 minutes.

£15.82 each and no stock in the UK. Three week wait from Japan. 

Probably easier and cheaper to get hold of some scrap metal and make something yourself. As far as I can see, it's just a metal shim to reinforce the plastic and stop it from rounding.

EDIT: In fact, thinking about it, there's can of Carslberg that's been sitting in my fridge since it was brought to my house for a barbecue about 4 years ago. Can't bear to drink it, but now I won't feel bad pouring it down the sink so I can recycle the can and make something myself :D

Almost a year on from this post and I never got around to fixing it myself. But last month I was looking into the problem again and found that they sell these little clips on Japan Parts, and they aren't charging 15 quid each. Instead, I was able to get 2 of them for 17 quid, delivered. Overnight parts from Japan, yo! 

Although not overnight. I ordered on the 19th May and they turned up this morning. That's a little job to attend to in my time off this week :)

20200608_104418.jpg

Just tried this and I'm not sure it's made a huge difference tbh. My gap was nowhere near as bad as some other examples I've seen though, so maybe it's just diminishing returns.

On the plus side, I didn't have to remove the bumper...just undoing the side indicator and taking a clip out from there I was able to pull the bumper forward enough to fit this clip. Very fiddly (the clips are tiny), but managed it. Im not going to do the drivers side...it wasn't as bad, and now they look roughly even. It just looks like "bad panel gaps", rather than "bumper falling off". Stupidly, I forgot to take a 'before' picture, too. 

20200609_154404.jpg

Can someone just clarify how many of these ‘clips’ are needed?   The diagram shows, I think, three clips on the bumper but only the nearest to the headlight seems to be mentioned and two are mentioned as being needed, not six being the complete set for the bumper side.  

Most issues relating to the sag seems to relate to the removal of the bumper and damaging the clips by ripping the bumper sides off with great vigour.  

I remember accidentally finding a YouTube video showing the correct way of removing the bumper without damaging the clips.  Of course now when needed I can’t find the video.  Has anyone else seen this video or know the correct way of releasing the clips?   I think it involved pushing against the side of the bumper with your knee, unlocking the clips/tabs as you gently pull the it away from the fender,

@kodename47 thanks for the installion details and @Conscript thanks for instructions on not having to remove bumper. I ordered some Japanese clips but got my local Toyota on case first, to see if clip issues or something else. My 2017 model, had new bumper fitted and clip on front driver side light seems to have a gap now, and sagging at sides of both a tiny bit.

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/49087

My new clips arrived from Tokyo Japan very fast cost £30/£40, not sure how to fit these though as V2 (not sure if that is correct part number as crossed out it seems) so thanks for link above (V1 above looked easier to fit).

Toyota declined to fix bumper gap on headlight I have as not under Warranty told me go back to body shop who re fitted new bumper, which is fair enough. I asked for price but none given to re fit by Toyota. My current gap above before and V2 clips. Gonna take clips to body shop. I had a look myself at clips Subaru were not joking, they might as well of made them from play dough they are so soft like all Subaru bumpers/paint it seems.

Will post body shop results if they can fix gap on side and headlight/need to heat polyurethane bumper to mould it etc.

P.S I saw another red 2017 which also had small gap close to inside of headlight, but bumper seemed fitted underneath headlight unlike mine at moment.

3DBA6FDF-02DE-4951-B186-74F1DE0B8285.jpeg

B2D42F60-740F-47CD-A768-75B45E652202.jpeg

C918B354-9DEB-4DF1-A27E-E3C28A97E232.jpeg

Instructions from V2 Review sort of helpful. As he says no instructions in box.

star-on.png star-on.png star-on.png star-on.png star-on.png

- Product review

able to decrease the gap between the panel and bumper. very nice.

- Installation tips

simple glue it on or screw it on.

Written by Nandish (UNITED STATES) | 2017-05-24

I have the clips also. They are a great solution to this problem. Shame that only Subaru are prepared to admit this is an issue and Toyota are fingers in ears "la la la" lol