George

So how does it sound?

Hi all.

Just got my first 86 last week and what a great car! Lot of fun on the country roads. Although I'm already wanting a bit more power in it. Seems the best way to go is with the TD n/a package. That bit more power and torque in the mid would be perfect plus I want some noise. My dilemma is the old one of EL or UEL manifold and should I get a catback at the same time? I want some noice but don't want it silly loud as its a daily. 

Best way I can think to make my mind up is to hear some in person so was wondering is there any users in the Norwich area with similar systems who wouldn't mind meeting up so I can hear it?

Cheers 

5 hours ago, George said:

Hi all.

Just got my first 86 last week and what a great car! Lot of fun on the country roads. Although I'm already wanting a bit more power in it. Seems the best way to go is with the TD n/a package. That bit more power and torque in the mid would be perfect plus I want some noise. My dilemma is the old one of EL or UEL manifold and should I get a catback at the same time? I want some noice but don't want it silly loud as its a daily. 

Best way I can think to make my mind up is to hear some in person so was wondering is there any users in the Norwich area with similar systems who wouldn't mind meeting up so I can hear it?

Cheers 

Hi George, I'm offshore till mid December but I'm lowestoft if still needed then and happy to meet 👍

Hi there. Yes that would be great thanks. I'm not looking to start modding my car till the new year anyway. Want to make sure I definitely know what I want before purchasing parts. 

It's the cobra catless UEL manifold and Cobra resonated catback. 

Will find out how I do on emissions on the MOT next month once it's back from having bumper resprayed due to someone driving into me. Thought I'd post the video as this offshift it will be at the spray shop so won't be able to meet just yet. 

Ah that sucks. Hope they paid for it. 

Still not decided on UEL or EL yet.

Iv got a club track day at Donnington end of the month with about 7 other members on here so should get to see and hear a good mix of cars. 

Will find out on Wednesday 🙈

6 hours ago, DodgyDez said:

Kinda wanted to go with the same catless UEL from Cobra. How did it go with MOT?

Will find out on Wednesday 🙈

TD UEL, Cobra Decat pipe, Cobra non res catback (this is boosted so sound had been silenced a fair bit)

Sadly sold the car now but hope this cheeky little clip can persuade you got go UEL 

I have the TD NA package with UEL headers and their super resonated cat back (ie the quietest one!) and it sounds like a completely different car to the one I dropped off. It sounds like a much more powerful car and is great on country lanes and for cruising through town (if you like people to look at you) but it is compromised for motorway speeds if I am honest. I cant hear the stereo once the revs get up. People who have driven behind me have all said how loud it is.

I understand that the EL give more power but the UEL more mid range torque (plus the sound)?

Mine is an auto with the lower final drive which means I am at higher revs at high speed though.

If its your daily then I would really try to hear what the combo you want sounds like if at all possible.

I have the TD NA package with UEL headers and their super resonated cat back (ie the quietest one!) and it sounds like a completely different car to the one I dropped off. It sounds like a much more powerful car and is great on country lanes and for cruising through town (if you like people to look at you) but it is compromised for motorway speeds if I am honest. I cant hear the stereo once the revs get up. People who have driven behind me have all said how loud it is.
I understand that the EL give more power but the UEL more mid range torque (plus the sound)?
Mine is an auto with the lower final drive which means I am at higher revs at high speed though.
If its your daily then I would really try to hear what the combo you want sounds like if at all possible.
Thanks for sharing and first I have heard about the super res. For the EL vs UEL, the generalisation does not apply for TD as the difference is miniscule either way, i.e. power or torque. So sound is the only deciding factor.
For generalisation, what revs are you at when doing 70 mph on m way, with your final drive? With a manual, you are at 3K revs.
Does the exhaust come alive at revs above a certain RPM or Wide Open Throttle or is constantly on and hence show off mode ? Do you get a drone at mway speeds?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Gearing is much longer on the auto, especially 6th.  IIRC the auto has a theoretical top speed well over 200mph if you could redline in 6th!  Unless @Ignited has fitted a very short final drive (5.00+) revs will be higher on a manual.

I have EL with the resonated catback (and a manual gearbox) and it's tolerable on the motorway.  I tend to use cruise control though, and it gets noisier when you're going uphill and under load.  ISTR that someone switched from resonated to super res and found that at some revs the volume is louder with super res, but that it's quieter overall.

I made a point of looking at the revs on the brief bit of m-way I did today. I was very surprised to see that an indicated 70 I was doing only about 2500 rpm! That 6th gear is clearly very long as that is with the 4.67 FD fitted. I have removed the bootlid carpet to change spoiler and have yet to refit so I suppose that may add a little to the noise in my case.

As @spikyone says though, the noise comes under load and a hill or even just a touch of acceleration brings the noise (at any speed, not just m-way). This goes away once you start cruising again but not until you are up the hill!

There are definitely pros and cons of louder exhausts and only you will know if it is going to work for you and the driving you do though.

Not sure if this helps!

I want both quietness for cold starts for neighbors to not kill me & long cruises to not tire out, and loud oumph when pushing in for short drives or on track. Hence gathering nfo on electric or mechanic actuated cutouts for exhausts, as that seems only ones that can provide both. "until you are up the hill" - still isn't "quiet" in general. And when i want it loud, i want it loud no matter of specific engine load. Hence

latest?cb=20160618185223

(in way of said cutouts)

17 minutes ago, Church said:

I want both quietness for cold starts for neighbors to not kill me & long cruises to not tire out, and loud oumph when pushing in for short drives or on track. Hence gathering nfo on electric or mechanic actuated cutouts for exhausts, as that seems only ones that can provide both. "until you are up the hill" - still isn't "quiet" in general. And when i want it loud, i want it loud no matter of specific engine load. Hence

latest?cb=20160618185223

(in way of said cutouts)

Most company’s map out the cold start when you get the ecutube so it is quieter on start up with an aftermarket manifold and map

Cold start just one of things to deal with. But in general there are times/occasions/situations/places where i want different sounds from very same car/same speed/load/rpms. Ability to switch between two modes seems making more sense then trying to get most from static design trying to be jack of all trades.

21 hours ago, spikyone said:

Gearing is much longer on the auto, especially 6th.  IIRC the auto has a theoretical top speed well over 200mph if you could redline in 6th!  Unless @Ignited has fitted a very short final drive (5.00+) revs will be higher on a manual.

I have EL with the resonated catback (and a manual gearbox) and it's tolerable on the motorway.  I tend to use cruise control though, and it gets noisier when you're going uphill and under load.  ISTR that someone switched from resonated to super res and found that at some revs the volume is louder with super res, but that it's quieter overall.

You were right on that one. I did expect it but now realise it was that much of a difference. I am sure Automatic cars MPG must be super high then  :) 

11 hours ago, Ignited said:

I made a point of looking at the revs on the brief bit of m-way I did today. I was very surprised to see that an indicated 70 I was doing only about 2500 rpm! That 6th gear is clearly very long as that is with the 4.67 FD fitted. I have removed the bootlid carpet to change spoiler and have yet to refit so I suppose that may add a little to the noise in my case.

As @spikyone says though, the noise comes under load and a hill or even just a touch of acceleration brings the noise (at any speed, not just m-way). This goes away once you start cruising again but not until you are up the hill!

There are definitely pros and cons of louder exhausts and only you will know if it is going to work for you and the driving you do though.

Not sure if this helps!

Thank you. It does help setting expectations. As a daily, up and down the motorway, i don't think i will want to live with the extra noise though as church says, a electronically controlled exhaust, which activates when you put your car into sport mode but does not when its in normal mode, will be the dream set up.

1 hour ago, br0wny said:

im quite worried now that my car going to become too loud next week 😟

this may not be good for my upcoming 4000 mile roadtrip in april 😳

It'll be absolutely fine. I took my car all the way to the old East of Germany and back with a TD manifold, no cats and their resonated exhaust. I've had mine on for 25K miles now, no problem. You won't hear it when cruising, you will hear it when you accelerate on a motorway. I have a serious sound system in mine I admit, was no issue though. 

I switched from res to super-res in my TD setup.  It's much better now.  It can still be loud when seriously pressing on, but holding speed and cruising on the motorway are no problem.  I can hear the radio just fine!