Sign in to follow this  
Kaltorak

Camshaft Position Sensor P0390 & P0931 - Check Engine Light

Hi All.

Just had the dreaded check engine light appear. Plugged my ODB reader in and got the following codes

-P0390 - Powertrain - Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit (Historic Fault)

-P0391 - Powertrain - Camshaft Positon Sensor "B" circuit Range/Performance (Bank 2)

The car is a 62 plate, so one of the originals that were impacted by the lumpy idle that was fixed with an ECU reflash. It is also covered under the current recall for Valve Springs.

Now, I don't know if the car was ever reflashed as I am not the first owner (its been in my care for ~6 months), but its outside the 5 years that would usually cover this as warranty work. Looking at the ft86 forums, it seems that the 2 codes I have could be thrown as part of the re-flash problems, the idle on the car would bounce a bit, but I always put that down to the AC cycling.

So, oh gurus of the internet, what do you think my best course of action would be?

Drive to the nearest Toyota garage and ask them to look to see if the reflash was performed, get the springs done later.

Book in to the nearest Toyota garage. Get the springs done and ask them to look at the reflash.

Dont drive it anywhere, tow it to Toyota, get the CEL looked at, but mention the potential for the reflash to fix it.

Other (please specify)

Note, I dont need the car as a daily driver, however I do have a trackday coming up on dec 10th... so I need it before then!

Also, if anyone has had these codes in the past, could you let me know how you handled it when it happened?

Cheers.

The problem you have is that you could be waiting 2-3 months before the valve springs are changed. So I don't see that as an option. The ECU update just increased the variance before it threw an EML. Sorry not much help. 

Call a dealer, ask if it's had the ECU updated as it would be on their system. It's possible that it hasn't, although I wouldn't guarantee that is a fix as that was usually step 1 before swapping and replacing the sensors and solenoids. TBH if it's taken this long to appear I would expect there might be an issue with the AVCS rather than the ECU.

6 minutes ago, knightryder said:

Call a dealer, ask if it's had the ECU updated as it would be on their system. It's possible that it hasn't, although I wouldn't guarantee that is a fix as that was usually step 1 before swapping and replacing the sensors and solenoids. TBH if it's taken this long to appear I would expect there might be an issue with the AVCS rather than the ECU.

True enough about the length of time, its only on 14,000 miles though. I guess it depends what the main factor for it is.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but this is more about the sensor being out rather than the cam timing being off. It isnt a danger to the engine unless the cam timing also shits the bed, basically if I drive it, I'm running without the safety net.

11 hours ago, Kaltorak said:

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but this is more about the sensor being out rather than the cam timing being off. It isnt a danger to the engine unless the cam timing also shits the bed, basically if I drive it, I'm running without the safety net.

If it's not experiencing any idle issues then it may well just be the sensor or thresholds. You normally get a different code when the cams stop operating and that's what causes the lumpy idle as the cams gets stuck at a poor angle for idle operation. There is no danger to the engine as it is only a VVT system and no increased cam lift, it just causes really poor performance.

So, started the car up to head to the dealer, and all is good. No CEL, just a nice startup and a burble.

Tried off and on again, took it for a spin, perfect. No handling loss, no lights (other than TC).

So, im going to keep an eye on it, but for the moment I'll be doing exactly nothing and saving money for when it goes properly wrong.

Hi Kaltorak,

Just had the dreaded engine management light go on. I've had the code pulled and its the same issue as yours; P0391 Camshaft position sensor B in Bank 2.

Has it caused you any further issues since occurring or have you now had it fixed?

I've not felt any loss of power, but then I've not given it the beans since the light went on. Not feeling lumpy either. Feel inclined to resolve it. Any one know any good garages in Brum or near? 

Ta

On 2/2/2019 at 11:28 AM, GETE86 said:

Hi Kaltorak,

Just had the dreaded engine management light go on. I've had the code pulled and its the same issue as yours; P0391 Camshaft position sensor B in Bank 2.

Has it caused you any further issues since occurring or have you now had it fixed?

I've not felt any loss of power, but then I've not given it the beans since the light went on. Not feeling lumpy either. Feel inclined to resolve it. Any one know any good garages in Brum or near? 

Ta

Sorry I missed this originally. 

Once I cleared it its been fine, it went to a track day in early December and certainly wasn't driven lightly.