Delirious_

Aftermarket Wheels & TPMS

The story goes on.  I took the car back to ProTyre with one stock wheel in the boot, as they had asked me to do.  The first thing the chap at reception asked was "did I bring all four?"  After some cold stares and mouthed responses, it seems that each sensor has its own code and the ECU needs to see all four.

So next time I'll take all four with me.  Good thing my MOT isn't until April so I have time to get this sorted, but it's a real pain.

I cannot believe that this saga continues.

I went back to ProTyre today with all 4 stock wheels in the boot.  They were very nice, took ALL the tyres off the 8 wheels, replaced the new iSMART TPMS sensors with another set in my Rota wheels, read the codes directly off the stock TPMS sensors and cloned them onto the new set.  They also repaired a screw puncture in one of my new PS4s.  They then refitted the new wheels and sent me off down the lane to test them.  The TPMS warning light duly went off.  Yippee!  Back to ProTyre, who charged me nothing, loaded up the stock wheels, dropped them off at home and continued on my way to work.

Half way down the M3, the sodding light came back on again.  It remains on.

I have my service booked with Subaru in two week's time.  I shall asked them to look at the TPMS system again and get it working.  I'd really prefer to send it into orbit.

11 hours ago, MartinT said:

I went back to ProTyre today with all 4 stock wheels in the boot.  They were very nice, took ALL the tyres off the 8 wheels, replaced the new iSMART TPMS sensors with another set in my Rota wheels, read the codes directly off the stock TPMS sensors and cloned them onto the new set.  They also repaired a screw puncture in one of my new PS4s.  They then refitted the new wheels and sent me off down the lane to test them.  The TPMS warning light duly went off.  Yippee!  Back to ProTyre, who charged me nothing, loaded up the stock wheels, dropped them off at home and continued on my way to work.

I have my service booked with Subaru in two week's time.  I shall asked them to look at the TPMS system again and get it working.  I'd really prefer to send it into orbit.

Don’t want to sound stupid but have you held in the reset button so it resets to your current pressures?

Are you at beaulea tomorrow? I have the carista app so could see what sensor id they have got

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Don’t want to sound stupid but have you held in the reset button so it resets to your current pressures?
Thanks but I've tried that. There is little info on that button but I've tried press-and-hold with engine off and engine running.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

Are you at beaulea tomorrow? I have the carista app so could see what sensor id they have got

It's touch and go as we have a late night tonight. I'll let you know if I'm going tomorrow. Thanks for the offer.

<sheepish mode on>

This evening I thought I'd check the tyre pressures, still puzzling over the system working for a while and then erroring.  I thought maybe one tyre was too low.  It turned out that ProTyre had pumped them up way too high - three were at 2.55 and one was 2.6 bar!  I dropped them all down to 2.4, reset the TPMS system again and the light has gone out.  I hadn't realised that they also warned on over-pressure!

I'll see on my motorway commute tomorrow but I may have cracked it.

Could well be that they had to do that to activate the new sensors. I know when I had mine done (using I-Sensor sensors) one of the guys was muttering something about having to take them up to 40 or 50 PSI to wake them up.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:20 PM, MartinT said:

<sheepish mode on>

This evening I thought I'd check the tyre pressures, still puzzling over the system working for a while and then erroring.  I thought maybe one tyre was too low.  It turned out that ProTyre had pumped them up way too high - three were at 2.55 and one was 2.6 bar!  I dropped them all down to 2.4, reset the TPMS system again and the light has gone out.  I hadn't realised that they also warned on over-pressure!

I'll see on my motorway commute tomorrow but I may have cracked it.

They don't warn on over pressure. You need to put them up to 40psi for airfield training. Didn’t affect mine. Things that do are sudden drop in outdoor temperature and slow (and fast) punctures. It will also show when one tyre is a different pressure to the rest, which is what you had. Fingers crossed you should be fine now. Happy motoring and miles of smiles.

The TPMS in our cars is a bit ropey, because its only iTPMS it is indirect, it only measures the rotational speed of the wheel unlike direct sensors which actually measure pressure.

The TPMS in our cars is a bit ropey, because its only iTPMS it is indirect, it only measures the rotational speed of the wheel unlike direct sensors which actually measure pressure.
My car is a 2015 and it has actual sensors in the wheels.

I've just ordered a Carista OBD adapter to use with the app. It's about time I take a proper look at what's going on myself.

My TPMS adapters are in-wheel pressure reading ones.

What a superb app Carista and the adapter are.  At last, I have the evidence I need!

Since I know the position of each code as given me by ProTyre, it's back to them tomorrow morning to report that the Offside Front sensor is not sending.

48470058452_e95593022b_b.jpg

I went to ProTyre this morning and they said that the 'faulty' TPMS sensor had a random code in it and had clearly not been cloned properly.

They apologised, programmed the code in and my TPMS light has remained off.  Carista confirms that all four codes are present and correct.  Sorted!

I went to ProTyre this morning and they said that the 'faulty' TPMS sensor had a random code in it and had clearly not been cloned properly.
They apologised, programmed the code in and my TPMS light has remained off.  Carista confirms that all four codes are present and correct.  Sorted!
Finally. Well done for using carista and persisting.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk