Delirious_

Aftermarket Wheels & TPMS

Been furiously googling for a clear answer on this but haven't been successful so maybe someone on here can help?

When swapping to aftermarket wheels, what's the best thing to do with the tyre pressure sensors? 

For me, it's not an option to not have TPMS as it's an MOT failure, and I don't want the light on my dashboard.

As I see it there are a few options:

1. Ask the tyre fitter to swap the sensors out of the old wheels into the new ones. Seems fairly straight forward. From what I've read the downsides are that the sensors seem easily broken when being removed and/or the seal may be damaged so they no longer seal correctly when in the new wheels. 

2a. Buy new sensors for the new wheels. However, not only are the sensors expensive, I then have to get Toyota to link them up to the car. I'm not clear on whether this is a change to the ECU or a separate module. I'd be nervous about letting Toyota anywhere near my ECU in case they screw up my maps. 

2b. Same as above, buy new sensors... but I've heard new sensors can be 'cloned' to match the old sensors, effectively allowing 2 sets of wheels to be used and the car not being able to tell the difference between them when they are swapped. And TPMS obviously functioning as normal for both. As far as I understand this also means no re-programming of car ECU or modules. Despite the cost of new sensors I think this would be my preferred option. 

Can anyone help?

Perhaps @Riceburner could help with clearing up some of my confusion on cloning sensors or reprogramming the car? 

Cheers!

Ps. Anyone know for sure if Toyota TPMS valve stems are compatible with Rays wheels?

Tpms light bothered me for about a week, not anymore ...

I may try new sensors when I replace tyres next time, but my gut feel they may not work.

But if anyone finds an inexpensive solution or tyre fitters that have experience with Toyota Tpms, I would also be interested to know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Delirious

You can get them swapped into your new wheels quite easily. If the fitter is careful they can be removed and fitted into your new wheels quite easily. The good tyre shops have service kits for TPMS sensors. 

The other option is buy 4 new ones and get the dealer or any good independent to code the new sensors to the car. It's quite a simple process and doesn't involve looking at your engine ECU at all and not something that you need the dealership for. 

All that needs to be done is the serial number on the sensor inputted into the system and the tyres deflated and reinflated to 'wake up' the new sensors. Press the reset button to calibrate and you should be good to go. 

The Toyota are the Pacific type. Something like this. Usually about £40-50 for one. 

PAC-S079_large.jpg

Thanks for all of the helpful replies!

I spoke to my local Toyota dealer and they quoted £144 to swap the valves over, reprogram them to the new required pressure (I don't think this part is necessary..?), and fit the tyres. Seems expensive.

The Toyota guy said I need to make sure the TPMS will fit the new wheels, as some are not compatiable... so, can anyone confirm that Toyota TPMS will fit Rays 57CR wheels?

Thanks again. 

Annoyingly it is a long job for what it is. I paid mates rates but would expect £15-20 per wheel at an independents. Between 17s and 18s pressures are near identical so shouldn't need reprogramming

Not sure they work on Toyota's but I've seen something on a Fiesta forum you can buy a programmer from the bay around £15 and sensors are around £25 each although without looking into it I can't be 100% they work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VXSCAN-OEM-TPMS-Sensor-Training-Tool-Sensor-Activation-Tool-for-For-d-2006-2016/173265114136?hash=item285767d418:g:s~EAAOSw52ZazdAM

What year cars are fitted with these ?

55 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

Not sure they work on Toyota's but I've seen something on a Fiesta forum you can buy a programmer from the bay around £15 and sensors are around £25 each although without looking into it I can't be 100% they work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VXSCAN-OEM-TPMS-Sensor-Training-Tool-Sensor-Activation-Tool-for-For-d-2006-2016/173265114136?hash=item285767d418:g:s~EAAOSw52ZazdAM

What year cars are fitted with these ?

Haven't seen anything like this mentioned when I've been looking. It seems most people swap the old sensors over or buy new Toyota ones. I'd be nervous about buying an eBay special :P I think TPMS became a legal requirement for new cars sold from 2014 onwards.

Tpms light bothered me for about a week, not anymore ...

I may try new sensors when I replace tyres next time, but my gut feel they may not work.

But if anyone finds an inexpensive solution or tyre fitters that have experience with Toyota Tpms, I would also be interested to know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oem tmps £150 a corner . Bitter experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Delirious
You can get them swapped into your new wheels quite easily. If the fitter is careful they can be removed and fitted into your new wheels quite easily. The good tyre shops have service kits for TPMS sensors. 
The other option is buy 4 new ones and get the dealer or any good independent to code the new sensors to the car. It's quite a simple process and doesn't involve looking at your engine ECU at all and not something that you need the dealership for. 
All that needs to be done is the serial number on the sensor inputted into the system and the tyres deflated and reinflated to 'wake up' the new sensors. Press the reset button to calibrate and you should be good to go. 
The Toyota are the Pacific type. Something like this. Usually about £40-50 for one. 

PAC-S079_large.jpg.c4d2a0d7dc3390d5f71ce407d57dbaa7.jpg

Mine was £150 from dealership . I snapped one .

On 11/25/2018 at 9:36 AM, KevinA said:

Disconnect light on dash :)

Unfortunately tech has moved on a bit, we aren't in the 90's. It's an LED soldered onto the dash cluster, you can put tape over it, but it involves stripping it down, not a 5 minute job.

£600 just for the valves is crazy.

Tell me about it, you can get a whole set for less , luckily i only needed one . Also really annoying that they are part of the valve, not a good design.

Unfortunately tech has moved on a bit, we aren't in the 90's. It's an LED soldered onto the dash cluster, you can put tape over it, but it involves stripping it down, not a 5 minute job.
Could we not use an ecu code switch off tool? As is done to switch off check engine light when putting a catless manifold?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately there is no fudgery you can do to turn it off, it will be controlled in the body control module, the only thing I believe you can use to edit that is Techstream which has no function to disable TPMS.

I have new tpms on my new wheels, but havent had them coded to the car (annoying as i paid for new tpms haha)
I was just going to fit my stock wheels come MOT time...

HOWEVER!!!!

When parked in my garage the car used to pick up the tpms signals from my old wheels (stored at the back) but this stopped happening about a month ago and the light is now always on, and then flashes after about 10 mins of driving when it realises they're not there.
This could be down to a few reasons, either be because the oem wheels have lost pressure over the past 10 months maybe? or because the tpms no longer have any power? not sure how they are powered?

Any thoughts? MOT is due in January...