Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

On 5/23/2019 at 5:46 PM, MangoNo5 said:

Beadles Toyota Medway want me to come in for an hour assessment before starting work, made them aware of mod work carried out by Fensport and Abbey. They said they will contact them and made no mention of additional charges, but they have offered to fit my new clutch FoC, I will supply part.

Hi Mango...did you end up getting your recall work done at Beadles Medway? I've just had my recall letter through, and Medway is my closest branch, just wondering if you had any issues? I'm afraid I don't have a lot of faith in main dealers at the best of times, I'd be more comfortable knowing if Medway had some experience with this recall though.

My car is also serviced and modified by Abbey (manifold/remap). Apologies for the thread bump.

Hello mate,

Had an absolutely perfect experience there, they had already dealt with other cars but mine was the first with heavy mods. They took their time, we went for a drive before and after the process and all work was well documented (video and photos). I have had no issues what so ever.

Happy to recommend Beadles Medway.

10 hours ago, MangoNo5 said:

Hello mate,

Had an absolutely perfect experience there, they had already dealt with other cars but mine was the first with heavy mods. They took their time, we went for a drive before and after the process and all work was well documented (video and photos). I have had no issues what so ever.

Happy to recommend Beadles Medway.

Great stuff. Puts my mind at ease a bit. I'll ring them later to book it in. Thanks very much :)

Very useful posts and discussions. Taking my 2013 GT86 TRD (with no mods) into Western Toyota (Newbridge, Edinburgh) on Monday 25th November. They've said they will need to keep the car for a week and will provide a brand new GT86 courtesy car.

I haven't mentioned the spark plugs to them but will do so now when I hand the car in. It recently had a full 60k service done at my local garage bar the spark plugs.

Will also confirm whether they will change the oil, filter, cooland and re-gas air con.

Is it worth asking them to check the clutch too?

Will let you know how it goes and thanks for all the useful information.

3 hours ago, krazeekam said:

Very useful posts and discussions. Taking my 2013 GT86 TRD (with no mods) into Western Toyota (Newbridge, Edinburgh) on Monday 25th November. They've said they will need to keep the car for a week and will provide a brand new GT86 courtesy car.

I haven't mentioned the spark plugs to them but will do so now when I hand the car in. It recently had a full 60k service done at my local garage bar the spark plugs.

Will also confirm whether they will change the oil, filter, cooland and re-gas air con.

Is it worth asking them to check the clutch too?

Will let you know how it goes and thanks for all the useful information.

It should have had the spark plugs changed at the 60K service. So get them done when the recall is done. You may want to check whether your local garage missed changing the diff oil too. 

For the recall I can confirm they will change oil, filter, coolant and recharge air con refrigerant. 

You can ask them to check the clutch. Probably worth changing whilst the engine is out, though I'll bet it's barely half worn. 

I might be worrying overly here, but has anyone seen a dip in economy since their recall?

Mines been averaging 34/35 since I've had it, this tank (first since recall) I reckon I'll be lucky to scrape 30.
I'm at 188 miles and well below half, even the mpg readout which I don't use only reads 32. Usually get around 300 plus or minus a handful.

Same usage as usual.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I had the same problem. I sent it back to Toyota to do a fuel consumption test, and they said , the mpg was actually better than manufacturers standard. I don’t know how you ever managed to average 35, I average 22, I think before the recall it was 27 but since the updated valve springs, you can push the red limit a bit more. I can only assume that the readout is incorrect. Toyota however, did warn me of the fuel gauge as not totally accurate. Hope this helps.

Mine has dropped slightly but I'm putting that down to the time of year last two tanks 33.9 and 34.2
So maybe I was unduly concerned.

Also new grippier tyres will have a small effect.

Maybe.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Take note on fuel usage, that most probably work involved disconnecting battery and thus clearing learnt fuel trims, so some driving in due to relearn those. And yes, grippier tires most often mean also higher rolling resistance, no free candy.

Hi All, new here. Just wanted to say thanks to all who have posted on here as I've found the info very useful.

I've got a 2013 BRZ that a bought about 7 months ago totally stock (not sure it was before I got it but I'll never know!)

Anyway, had the valve springs done at Bulldog Twyford along with my 60k service. All went great and drove fine,a really nice bunch there. Then I went on my first track day.... Donington park about two months after the recall .. about 3 days later I had an awful loud knock from the top of the cylinder on the right side and the engine warning light!!! Took it back to them and thankfully it was just a loose connection on a coil pack causing a misfire.

I hope that's all it was and I haven't ruined my car by doing the recall and / or by doing the track day!!

Absolutely loving this car.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BRZ_noob said:

I hope that's all it was and I haven't ruined my car by doing the recall and / or by doing the track day!!

Absolutely loving this car.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about it. A coil pack is not a big issue even though it is a tediously annoying recurring issue. I did the same at Donny back in January, though my coil pack failed on the way back. Have changed them all now, after the last one going after a sprint at Snett a couple of weeks ago. There seems to be an issue with my loom which is being looked at presently. It may be the connector to the coil pack. We shall see. 

You should have no issues doing trackdays. I've been sprinting and tracking mine for getting on for 7 years now. Had the recall done back in March and 18K miles ago now. 

1 hour ago, BRZ_noob said:

Anyway, had the valve springs done at Bulldog Twyford along with my 60k service. All went great and drove fine,a really nice bunch there.

I agree, Bulldog Twyford seem to understand our cars and are sympathetic to mods.

Got my GT86 back yesterday from Gatwick Toyota and all done including replacing the Water Pump etc...and sealing a few Oil Leaks.

Parts cost £197.11 , the replacement Spark Plugs were already included in the Service Contract when GT86 had the 120k Service on 17th October 2019....

They also cleaned the car as it hadn't been washed since the Service in October.

caef4745583b2a68b3c1d50a573a795b.jpg

Mine has gone into Lancaster rayleigh today.  

All seems good so far. Have a friendly lady as a point of contact that seems very knowledgeable. Also went on the road test with the tech doing the work and he seems to know his stuff. 

Only bits I am not sure on is the quote I have been given to get the spark plugs done whilst the engine is out.  What have others paid? 

Seems they are working fast. Already have pics of the clutch out so i am doing to take the up on the £260 for a new one to future proof her.  

Quite like my lexus barge I have been given too. Did try my luck for the supra 😂 (looks good in grey)

20200113_121941.jpg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

20200113_093819.jpg

On 9/9/2019 at 1:24 PM, Notaricer said:

Toyota dealership contacted Toyota and they said air con regas would come free as part of the recall too. They even paid for the water pump for me too, all I had to pay for was the cost of the new clutch and spark plugs. Highly recommend Bentleys Toyota, warrington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much did they charge you for plugs and clutch. I am getting both of those done but am not sure if the quotes I have got are way too high. 

I have owned my 62 reg GT86 for a year now but have had no contact from Toyota. The online recall checker confirms that it is subject to the recall.

Are Toyota still in the process of sending out letters? Should I make contact directly? Do we have any idea what proportion of the affected cars have been done yet/how long they will be doing them for? 

My car has a Harrop supercharger which may complicate matters. Might they direct me to a garage such as RRG Macclesfield who may have more experience dealing with modified cars? I would be happy to travel if this were a good option.

If you have a car with supercharger/turbo, who has done the recall on your car/did they seem to know what they were doing? Are you happy with the result?

22 minutes ago, James7 said:

I have owned my 62 reg GT86 for a year now but have had no contact from Toyota. The online recall checker confirms that it is subject to the recall.

Are Toyota still in the process of sending out letters? Should I make contact directly? Do we have any idea what proportion of the affected cars have been done yet/how long they will be doing them for? 

My car has a Harrop supercharger which may complicate matters. Might they direct me to a garage such as RRG Macclesfield who may have more experience dealing with modified cars? I would be happy to travel if this were a good option.

If you have a car with supercharger/turbo, who has done the recall on your car/did they seem to know what they were doing? Are you happy with the result?

I approached directly as I never got a letter. Said to bring it in. 

Although mine isn't extensively modded  just manifold, map and chassis mods.

1 hour ago, Notaricer said:

I think it was around £85 for the spark plugs and £190 for the clutch

Might need to have a word as I have been quoted £260 for clutch and £200 for plugs. I understand all dealer groups will vary slightly but that is quite a difference. 

Might need to have a word as I have been quoted £260 for clutch and £200 for plugs. I understand all dealer groups will vary slightly but that is quite a difference. 

I think I still have invoice for it, should you want me to send you a copy to reduce cost. PM me.