Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

1 hour ago, Notaricer said:

Does that mean that I have to keep that 2:1 ratio when upgrading the calipers? So for example, 8 on the front, 4 on the back? Or does this not matter whatsoever?

Number of pistons is irrelevant. Piston area is more important. Most front BBKs are designed with the OEM rears in mind so don't shift the bias too much.

1 hour ago, Notaricer said:

If you have any recommendations on tyres it would be greatly appreciated, irrespective of price.

The Falken Azenis FK-510 have been my 'go-to' tyres for a while now, on the BRZ and previous cars.  Great all-round performance and low price.  The Goodyear Vector 4Seasons are very good indeed in the snow.  I now have Michelin PS4 which are good but not significantly better or worse than the Falkens.

Oh, and the Primacies are crap!

Finally, I have a grin on my face, got a call from Toyota main head office in Preston, my car has been booked in for the work to be carried out, at my local Toyota dealer garage 20 mins away from my home, I was told they will need my 86 for four days & a courtesy car  will be available to me for the length of time my vehicle will be with them, though I would be cheeky and also ask if my plugs could be done at the same time, surprisingly there was no objection, I was quoted $65 for the extra work. 

The car is booked in for the 19th Aug!! so fingers crossed...

On 7/26/2019 at 6:38 PM, Lauren said:

You should just be paying the cost of the plugs, no labour charge. 

Umm surly Lauren they would intent on asking me to pay for this extra work? as this is extra work I have asked for??

On 7/27/2019 at 8:35 AM, Graham86 said:

That's cheap for the plugs from the dealer! Mine were £85 the other month. Is that plus VAT?

They said £65 on the phone!! but will double-check on the day...

1 hour ago, Benjie_2 said:

Umm surly Lauren they would intent on asking me to pay for this extra work? as this is extra work I have asked for??

Because you are doing the recall at the same time, there is no extra work as they will remove the current ones anyway.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:08 PM, Benjie_2 said:

They said £65 on the phone!! but will double-check on the day...

Which dealer are doing the work, mines currently at Vantage Morecambe having the recall done. wasn’t impressed tbh when i met the grease monkey who will be doing the work!

I was due to take mine in to Jemca - Reading last week but they cancelled it as the parts are on back order apparently, they didn't know when they were getting them back in so didn't even book a future date.  Anyone else had this regardless of location?

1 hour ago, Rob230 said:

I was due to take mine in to Jemca - Reading last week but they cancelled it as the parts are on back order apparently, they didn't know when they were getting them back in so didn't even book a future date.  Anyone else had this regardless of location?

Yep this has happened to me. Had it pushed back more than once now

I'd be interested to know if anyone post recall has had any issues with air con no longer blowing cold?

Wonder if anyone can confirm whether their own air con was fully regassed as part of the recall?

According to my local dealer they are only paid from Toyota for the amount of gas that comes out originally. How you measure this I have no idea.

Due to the little amount that came out / what they put back in is why mine is no longer cold. Sounds fishy but may be 100%?

Mine was supposedly only regassed last year just before I bought the car and no longer blows cold since having it back from the recall - worked fine before, always kept on 19° auto. Anyone else?

Your dealer is talking rubbish. They have to take out the refrigerant and then put it back in topping up if necessary. I would take it back. Mine apparently had lost 10g or so but obviously was topped up when refilled. 

I'd be interested to know if anyone post recall has had any issues with air con no longer blowing cold?
Wonder if anyone can confirm whether their own air con was fully regassed as part of the recall?
According to my local dealer they are only paid from Toyota for the amount of gas that comes out originally. How you measure this I have no idea.
Due to the little amount that came out / what they put back in is why mine is no longer cold. Sounds fishy but may be 100%?
Mine was supposedly only regassed last year just before I bought the car and no longer blows cold since having it back from the recall - worked fine before, always kept on 19° auto. Anyone else?

Well they’ve blatantly lied to you because my aircon didn’t work before the recall because I had 50g in the system when you’re supposed to have 350. Aircon full regas is part of the recall, I would express that to your dealer. If you have any trouble, message me and i shall send you the Toyota invoice for all the work done in the recall and the charge (which was none). Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, James18 said:

Mine didn't get regassed. It had no gas in it before the recall so they refused to do it for free. 

21 hours ago, James18 said:

Mine went into Vantage York for the recall with working air con. When they called to say the work was complete and that I could collect the car they mentioned, in passing, that they could not refill the aircon as they could pull a vacuum on it! No explanation, no attempt to offer a remedy. Just come and get your car. 

Apparently the HIgh Pressure pipe from the bulkhead to the compressor was the culprit.

They had taken out a weight of gas (I don’t know how much) that indicated the loss from the system was within tolerance. ( The car had a new condenser 2 years ago) BUT as their gas handling machine couldn’t pull a vacuum they couldn’t refill the system with the very expensive gas they had taken out of it. I was, needless to say, some what annoyed.

After a long discussion with their service manager, in which I held to the position that had Toyota not required the recall work to be undertaken I would still have working aircon, they agreed to cover the cost of the pipe and fitting.

The pipe has been replaced and aircon is working. No cost to me for the pipe or any gas.

Had to do without aircon during the 30odd degree heatwave though. 😢

If your aircon was cold before it went in it should be cold when you get it back. Remember, you didn’t ask for them do any work on your car, they did. If not for their recall work you would have working aircon. 

As an aside I have been told the following;

The R1234y gas that is in the earlier cars, while being much more friendly to the ozone layer when it leaks out is, perversely, more likely to leak out due to it’s molecule size   🤪

The older, less ozone friendly, R134 fitted to some of the later cars is less likely to leak.

The aircon compressor on the my 2012 car is labelled as being suitable for both R1234 and R 134.

R134 is cheaper.

Id your aircon doesn’t work it’s a calculation for you and continence.......

13 hours ago, Carver said:

As an aside I have been told the following;

The R1234y gas that is in the earlier cars, while being much more friendly to the ozone layer when it leaks out is, perversely, more likely to leak out due to it’s molecule size   🤪

The older, less ozone friendly, R134 fitted to some of the later cars is less likely to leak.

The aircon compressor on the my 2012 car is labelled as being suitable for both R1234 and R 134.

R134 is cheaper.

Id your aircon doesn’t work it’s a calculation for you and continence.......

I mean its not because its illegal for one, but even if you can find someone to do it, you need to change the AC filling ports as the are different for each kind of gas.

I got my AC R1234yf done at toyota for £70 last month.

Same here, they refused to re-gas mine as had none in it

Toyota dealership contacted Toyota and they said air con regas would come free as part of the recall too. They even paid for the water pump for me too, all I had to pay for was the cost of the new clutch and spark plugs. Highly recommend Bentleys Toyota, warrington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be worrying overly here, but has anyone seen a dip in economy since their recall?

Mines been averaging 34/35 since I've had it, this tank (first since recall) I reckon I'll be lucky to scrape 30.
I'm at 188 miles and well below half, even the mpg readout which I don't use only reads 32. Usually get around 300 plus or minus a handful.

Same usage as usual.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk