Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

I've still not heard anything on mine; last time I contacted them was end of last year if I remember correctly and they said they would send a letter when it's ready to be recalled.

You don’t need a letter, I didn’t have one. Just ring your local Toyota dealership and tell them your registration and they’ll tell you over the phone that you’re eligible or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/14/2019 at 10:41 PM, Notaricer said:

You don’t need a letter, I didn’t have one. Just ring your local Toyota dealership and tell them your registration and they’ll tell you over the phone that you’re eligible or not.

Yes that's what I did and that's when they said they would send me a letter for when it's ready.

Edit: I have just called my local Toyota branch, the guy that has been doing them is not in today and will call me tomorrow. The lady said on the phone that they need it for a week. I asked if they could change spark plugs at same time, she said yes they do that full service anyway. I asked is that all free of charge, and she said yes. Although I never trust them with the cheap oil they put in, they probably put some cheap spark plugs in and I will have no way of knowing.

I also asked if he has done many before, she said yes he has done quite a few over the past few weeks. He can only do one a week. So that all adds up to what others have been saying on here.

3 hours ago, Cerastes said:

Edit: I have just called my local Toyota branch, the guy that has been doing them is not in today and will call me tomorrow. The lady said on the phone that they need it for a week. I asked if they could change spark plugs at same time, she said yes they do that full service anyway. I asked is that all free of charge, and she said yes. Although I never trust them with the cheap oil they put in, they probably put some cheap spark plugs in and I will have no way of knowing.

I also asked if he has done many before, she said yes he has done quite a few over the past few weeks. He can only do one a week. So that all adds up to what others have been saying on here.

It's a Toyota dealer they will use genuine parts and OEM oil. I'm not sure where you get this notion that they will put cheap parts in? One a week is what most dealers are doing, it's quite enough with the other service work they have to do. 

On 7/14/2019 at 10:41 PM, Notaricer said:

He's got a TRD, so it is 2013, built in 2012 or early 2013, so it will definitely fall within the recall range. 

No I don't have a TRD. You said that last time. I wish I did lol.

Well sorry but I don't trust any garage. Any garage would find a way to save money and parts that you can't physically see like oil and the spark plugs (unless you want to go through the hassle of checking it), they can quite easily put cheap stuff in. That's my opinion anyway. Won't go into long details but have had bad experiences of every single garage I have been to.

2 hours ago, Cerastes said:

Well sorry but I don't trust any garage. Any garage would find a way to save money and parts that you can't physically see like oil and the spark plugs (unless you want to go through the hassle of checking it), they can quite easily put cheap stuff in. That's my opinion anyway. Won't go into long details but have had bad experiences of every single garage I have been to.

Yeah sorry getting you confused with someone else. It's a Toyota recall, they have to fit OEM parts. Do what you want I guess. 

You definitely don't need a letter, I don't have one either... I used this site beforehand too, to check the recall status - it's a gov one too, so i reckon it should be pretty reliable: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The technicians don’t go out of their pocket to purchase the parts to fix the car mate. At the end of the day, Toyota don’t want bad publicity if cars do fail so that’s why they will do the job properly. So that is why everything everything is free or at cost of parts because they want company media protection. I’ve just picked my car up yesterday with a brand new clutch, spark plugs, water pump, serpentine belt, oil and oil filter, uprated valve springs all for £275. When I took the car in. The clutch was 1mm off the rivets so got my use out of it haha. I used to work at a garage and trust me, going to a dealership is the best for comfort and knowing that the job will get done properly and by OEM standards but at a compromise for expense. And you can see the oil, just check the dipstick haha

[mention=3796]Notaricer[/mention] How can you tell they put the correct oil in by looking at the dipstick.

Anyway, the guy was meant to ring today, he didn't. Why am I not surprised.

Right okay, if they didn’t then it’s not the end of the world anyways. Toyota recommend 0W-20, many people run it on 5W-30 oil because of how hot they run the car and the viscosity of the oil would thin down due to the temperature regardless. I have a 5 litre bottle of 5W-30 sitting on the side for when the car runs out of oil (which it loves to drink) so when I decide to run the car hot the oil can handle it better. 0W-20 is prone to freezing in very cold temperatures during the winter as well which can cause sluggishness and reduced efficiency. Trust me, a legit dealership will never use another aftermarket companies parts, I’ve never heard of it or even seen it on the news or anything. If you’re so worried, why don’t you go on YouTube and watch something is done and do it yourself. At the end of the day you bought a car that requires more than the average maintenance, if something goes wrong related to the work they have done, you can hand it back and they will fix it at no cost. Once again, we go back to company media protection.

12 minutes ago, Notaricer said:

Right okay, if they didn’t then it’s not the end of the world anyways. Toyota recommend 0W-20, many people run it on 5W-30 oil because of how hot they run the car and the viscosity of the oil would thin down due to the temperature regardless. I have a 5 litre bottle of 5W-30 sitting on the side for when the car runs out of oil (which it loves to drink) so when I decide to run the car hot the oil can handle it better. 0W-20 is prone to freezing in very cold temperatures during the winter as well which can cause sluggishness and reduced efficiency. Trust me, a legit dealership will never use another aftermarket companies parts, I’ve never heard of it or even seen it on the news or anything. If you’re so worried, why don’t you go on YouTube and watch something is done and do it yourself. At the end of the day you bought a car that requires more than the average maintenance, if something goes wrong related to the work they have done, you can hand it back and they will fix it at no cost. Once again, we go back to company media protection.

Not sure why you are telling me about the oil; I am aware of oil. Useful for others though I guess. 

I have done all the oil changes since I bought the car.

Not sure why you are telling me about the oil; I am aware of oil. Useful for others though I guess. 
I have done all the oil changes since I bought the car.

Your first statement was companies like to save money on parts like things you can’t physically see such as oil and spark plugs and every reply since has been oil related so I’ve used that to basically say that you can do these things yourself or go to a legit dealer etc etc.

1 hour ago, Notaricer said:

At the end of the day you bought a car that requires more than the average maintenance

After owning four BMWs, I can assure you that my 2017 BRZ requires a good deal less maintenance and is less expensive to keep on the road.

After owning four BMWs, I can assure you that my 2017 BRZ requires a good deal less maintenance and is less expensive to keep on the road.

Just depends how you use the car I suppose, I spend around £300 a month on fuel alone. Need 2 rear tyres every 2 months and 2 front tyres every 6 months. My girlfriend has had 2 BMW’s and spent next to nothing on them, plus the 2 BMW’s she’s had we’re £20 a year in tax. These are £260 I think

7 hours ago, Notaricer said:

Just depends how you use the car I suppose, I spend around £300 a month on fuel alone. Need 2 rear tyres every 2 months and 2 front tyres every 6 months. My girlfriend has had 2 BMW’s and spent next to nothing on thememoji23.png, plus the 2 BMW’s she’s had we’re £20 a year in tax. These are £260 I think

Wow tyres that often, you must push it really hard all the time! That or you are running a very soft compound of tyre. I spin up the rears on mine regularly, and don't go through them that quickly. How many miles do you get for £300?

Wow tyres that often, you must push it really hard all the time! That or you are running a very soft compound of tyre. I spin up the rears on mine regularly, and don't go through them that quickly. How many miles do you get for £300?

I have been using Michelin pilot sport 4s so I don’t know if that makes a difference, and between 700 and 800 miles a month. I don’t even spin them up regularly I don’t feel, the odd doughnut at a car meet but never enough to deem 2 months of use. I think I’m going to change to pilot sport 2 for the back and see what they’re like. Honestly, my fuel is so bad that I feel like there’s a leak in my tank haha, if I idle it for like half an hour I’ll have use an 1/8 of a tank easy. And this is without using heated seats air con etc etc.

16 hours ago, Notaricer said:

Your first statement was companies like to save money on parts like things you can’t physically see such as oil and spark plugs and every reply since has been oil related so I’ve used that to basically say that you can do these things yourself or go to a legit dealer etc etc.

Yes it was about oil and spark plugs, but then you said to check the oil look at the dipstick to which I replied how can you tell which type of oil they put in by looking at the dipstick, then you started talking about the different oils 🤣

Oh well, drifted from topic.

Still waiting for that call from the technician; I called again today and they said he would call back...

9 hours ago, Notaricer said:

I have been using Michelin pilot sport 4s so I don’t know if that makes a difference, and between 700 and 800 miles a month. I don’t even spin them up regularly I don’t feel, the odd doughnut at a car meet but never enough to deem 2 months of use. I think I’m going to change to pilot sport 2 for the back and see what they’re like. Honestly, my fuel is so bad that I feel like there’s a leak in my tank haha, if I idle it for like half an hour I’ll have use an 1/8 of a tank easy. And this is without using heated seats air con etc etc.

Fair play. Is it N/A or forced induction?

19 hours ago, Notaricer said:

Just depends how you use the car I suppose, I spend around £300 a month on fuel alone. Need 2 rear tyres every 2 months and 2 front tyres every 6 months.

Wow, I can see why you think it expensive.

For me, the BMWs (especially the 540i and 335d M-Sport, both remapped) were expensive on services and frightening on tyres (£1000 for a set of 4).  They were also too heavy to handle particularly well, but that's a different issue.

I've just changed out a set of Falken Azenis that lasted a year on the BRZ.  I don't expect the Michelin 225/45 PS4 I have now to be worse for wear.  I do a 60 mile a day fast commute and don't hold back but my economy has settled at 35.7mpg.  That's not bad at all.  The TD manifold, full exhaust and remap make it much more fun, not close to the BMWs for brute force but far better handling.  The service costs have been reasonable (my 30k is coming up) and nothing has gone wrong with it.  I'm remarkably happy with my mid-life crisis 'Harley'!

Fair play. Is it N/A or forced induction?

N/A, I think I’d rather an engine swap than forced induction on it. 2JZ is ideal but impossible to find all the bits with reasonable prices. Ferrari F430 engine is probably going to be the swap. Completely non related to this topic but standard brake calipers are 2 pot on the front and single on the back. Does that mean that I have to keep that 2:1 ratio when upgrading the calipers? So for example, 8 on the front, 4 on the back? Or does this not matter whatsoever?

Wow, I can see why you think it expensive.
For me, the BMWs (especially the 540i and 335d M-Sport, both remapped) were expensive on services and frightening on tyres (£1000 for a set of 4).  They were also too heavy to handle particularly well, but that's a different issue.
I've just changed out a set of Falken Azenis that lasted a year on the BRZ.  I don't expect the Michelin 225/45 PS4 I have now to be worse for wear.  I do a 60 mile a day fast commute and don't hold back but my economy has settled at 35.7mpg.  That's not bad at all.  The TD manifold, full exhaust and remap make it much more fun, not close to the BMWs for brute force but far better handling.  The service costs have been reasonable (my 30k is coming up) and nothing has gone wrong with it.  I'm remarkably happy with my mid-life crisis 'Harley'!

That is pretty crazy to be fair, I guess it also depends on income and what their outgoings are. I’ll have a look if I genuinely do have a leak somewhere because I get 22.3mpg average and I do a lot of motorway commuting for the most part. I do 30 miles a day so you can imagine how annoying it is always looking at the gauge. If you have any recommendations on tyres it would be greatly appreciated, irrespective of price.