Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

In the aerospace industry the part number won't change if a different supplier was used, could even relax tolerances or different material if its proven equivalent.

Is expect the automotive industry to be similar, I'd expect an alternative supplier was used for a period of time. Or something similar.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

This is interesting information

Seems the Valve Springs part number although listed under different years is the same from 04/2012 to 05/2016

Then changes to another number until current build date

Zq6Dj6.jpg
GVP7gb.jpg

Hmmm interesting, maybe more widespread then initially thought. Have to wait and see what the outcome is when they start calling cars in.

Although as @sam534 has said it seems strange, maybe that is just an added layer of security since this has all come to light to avoid confusion.

Since this was announced, I have been debating as to whether or not I want a dealer taking out my engine to replace the valve spring. 

Pros: 

New valve springs 

Change the spark plugs at the same time 

Change the engine mounts at the same time 

New oil ect

Cons:

Taking out the engine to replace these springs could cause more damage then leaving the springs as they were especially if the repair has not been done correctly. If valve spring failures were common failure  in these cars and we were all talking them, then I could understand but apparently it only affects a really small percentage of cars.

Anyone having this same debate? Anyone else thinking just to leave their car as is and taking a chance ?

It's increased chance of failure. Maybe not big chance probability wise, but in case of failure - major one with engine writeoff. While there can be more and less competent mechs at dealership, i'm sure that toyota will develop & document properly replacement procedure so that even monkeys can do that by simply following step by step manual for that. I don't think that there is much "risk" in letting dealership mechs handle that.

1 hour ago, Stiofana said:

Cons:

Taking out the engine to replace these springs could cause more damage then leaving the springs as they were especially if the repair has not been done correctly. If valve spring failures were common failure  in these cars and we were all talking them, then I could understand but apparently it only affects a really small percentage of cars.

Anyone having this same debate? Anyone else thinking just to leave their car as is and taking a chance ?

Toyota won't do it until they work out how to do it properly. If you ignore the recall and your valve springs fail you'll have no comeback. It affects 400,000 cars worldwide. Quite a few cars. I don't think anyone is considering not doing the recall. There do not have to be many failures for this to be an issue. As it's a safety issue they have to do the recall. 

Found out the other day that my car has to go in for this. I was just about to service it but won't bother now. Iv got no worries in letting them do the work. Like church said, they will have lots of prep and procedures in place to make sure it's done properly. They will have to guarantee their work aswell so any problems they cause will just mean they get the car back which they won't want. And I'm hoping with the engine out they won't be stupid enough to put old fluids back in so free service. Win win :)

My car is way out of warranty now and I do my own services anyway. But your probably rite, when I rang them they said they will do it but had no idea when they will start. Might as well change the oil if it's going to be months away. 

June is the expected earliest date to book cars in for this recall according to to Jemca Toyota which spoke to the Toyota warranty department. 
This date could change.
Hmmm, may do a regular service in March as required then get the plugs done later in the year when the recall is being done.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Hey all,

Has any of you got a letter through the post form Toyota, yet? 

I am going to get the TD turbo package later on this year just would like to get the recall done first to save the hassle. 

1 hour ago, vanko25 said:

Hey all,

I am going to get the TD turbo package later on this year just would like to get the recall done first to save the hassle. 

Nobody has. Was speaking to RRG last week they reckon it may not be till April by the time the work gets done. 

1 hour ago, vanko25 said:

Hey all,

No. And I’m not expecting one for months yet. The super-sceptic in me is forecasting next year at the earliest (based on nothing more than a feeling in my gut! But 100 mllion neurons can’t be THAT wrong though?! Can they 🤔 😆).

The car has already done 50k miles and @Lauren's did 120k so in theory it should be fine for another few months.

My worry is what would be impact of having the TD turbo kit installed.

I haven't had a chat with Rich yet but what would Toyota charge on top for the kit to be removed and installed during the recall work? 

20 minutes ago, vanko25 said:

The car has already done 50k miles and @Lauren's did 120k so in theory it should be fine for another few months.

My worry is what would be impact of having the TD turbo kit installed.

I haven't had a chat with Rich yet but what would Toyota charge on top for the kit to be removed and installed during the recall work? 

Richard has already approached Toyota over this. Not sure of the details yet, I should let Richard answer that question, but Toyota are aware that there are a number of cars out there with turbos and superchargers and I know RRG are happy to do the work on these cars but they need agreement from Toyota of course in regard to what happens over the additional labour. 

By the sounds of it if you're not getting a turbo till say the summer the work should have been done by then, at least that's what I'm hearing. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Guess who's car will be the first to undergo the valve spring recall at RRG Macclesfield? 🤣

That'll be me then. I expect nobody will be surprised by that. Just awaiting a date, should be in the next couple of weeks. :)

Let us know how it goes! Keen to get mine through Macclesfield as early as possible, I don't want to be hanging around waiting for ages otherwise I'm going to have to service before the recall and it's just a waste of money, rather than get it done at the same time.

Will do. I'm very likely having a new clutch whilst the engine is out. If it's still got a good bit of life in it then I'll leave it a little longer, but at 125K it must be getting a little thin. 🤣

I'm also going to get Gary to check the timing chains. Will be interesting to see what they find given the mileage. 

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

Will do. I'm very likely having a new clutch whilst the engine is out. If it's still got a good bit of life in it then I'll leave it a little longer, but at 125K it must be getting a little thin. 🤣

I'm also going to get Gary to check the timing chains. Will be interesting to see what they find given the mileage. 

Definitely can't imagine it'll have much left on that! You've got some good clutch control to make it last 125k no doubt! 😂

2 hours ago, mattt said:

This is a bit concerning:

Wait and see how it pans out over here. Plenty of discussion of that on forums already. Newer recall instructions make references to the causes and where the techs need to pay attention to avoid it.