Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

Toyota will be issuing a recall on cars manufactured between April 2012 and May 2013. They have identified a defect in the composition of the material used in the valve springs which may cause fatigue and potentially failure. 

They will send out letters in December/January for the work to be done. It's an engine out job as surely they'll have to remove the heads to change the valve springs. 

4 minutes ago, Carver said:

Thanks for posting Lauren. 

Good and nervous now. 😀 Might just moderate the right foot. 

I wouldn't worry too much, I've done over 120K miles in mine. Fascinated to hear what condition the engine is in when they take it apart. If it fails now due to a valve spring failing it'll be covered. 

5 hours ago, Church said:

Any more details on which are affected? Mine is registered in 2014 spring, so would prefer data on VIN range or manufactured dates ..

Richard from RRG told me cars built from April 2012- May 2013, that is for the UK though. 

Seems that i found answer. From thread about this on other forum, there was mentioned url:

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/euro5search/Campaigns

Entered my VIN there, and seems that i'm affected :(

Never had any experience with any recalls in past. How they are usually handled? Are they fixed free of charge if warranty is ended or it will be at my expense? Can fact, that i'm second owner, be obstacle?

Seems that i found answer. From thread about this on other forum, there was mentioned url:
Entered my VIN there, and seems that i'm affected
Never had any experience with any recalls in past. How they are usually handled? Are they fixed free of charge if warranty is ended or it will be at my expense? Can fact, that i'm second owner, be obstacle?
Believe all free and does not matter about who the own is. Its the manufacturer basically fixing something because its a security risk.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Church said:

Entered my VIN there, and seems that i'm affected :(

I've had a few. My car is on 120K miles and getting on for six years old. It will be free of charge and will not cost you anything. It's for the lifetime of the car, irrespective of owner etcetera. 

Do you reckon they'd be willing to do a deal on the 60,000 mile service for the plugs if they are already taking the engine out?!

I'm fully expecting a no here though lol

Mine's affected. It's a pain in the arse because at 12 hours worth of work it means I've got to take a day off work to get it sorted. The only positive I'm taking from this is that I was due to have my spark plugs changed at the back end of next week. Since the engine's gonna be coming out for the recall I've opted to have it done then instead and save myself a few quid. Still a day off that I can't really afford at this time of year though. :( 

9 minutes ago, TomsGT86 said:

Do you reckon they'd be willing to do a deal on the 60,000 mile service for the plugs if they are already taking the engine out?!

I'm fully expecting a no here though lol

Depends on your dealer I guess. Mine have said OK - but then I'm also considering what else to get done while the engine's out. Clutch is a potential, as is any timing chain stuff that's otherwise a dick to get to.

12 minutes ago, Lowe said:

Depends on your dealer I guess. Mine have said OK - but then I'm also considering what else to get done while the engine's out. Clutch is a potential, as is any timing chain stuff that's otherwise a dick to get to.

Have they said what kind of discount they'd be willing to offer?

Or do they just take the labour charge of removing the engine off your bill?

2 hours ago, TomsGT86 said:

Have they said what kind of discount they'd be willing to offer?

Or do they just take the labour charge of removing the engine off your bill?

Nothing's been formalised - but car goes in towards the back end of next week. We'll discuss it then.

So are Toyota saying the valve spring design/part number changed after May 2013?

Would love to know what changed in April 2013 that means all later cars are not at risk from this.

So are Toyota saying the valve spring design/part number changed after May 2013?
Would love to know what changed in April 2013 that means all later cars are not at risk from this.
Might be a manufacturing defect or material defect, not necessarily a different part number

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Booked myself in for Tuesday. They will need the car for 2 days. Courtesy car sorted as well, so happy days. This will hopefully sort out my error code that ECU is throwing when i plug my HKS OBD data reader into my car. It keeps flashing with Camshaft error and faulty VVT system, so hopefully the valve springs will sort this issue.

10 minutes ago, Lowe said:

Booked in? They've not been given work instructions yet?

Checked online https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker 

Phoned my local Toyota dealer (Wolverhampton) They confirmed it, and booked me on for Tuesday 6th of November, so I take it they have everything they need.