MR2Spruce

2017 radio going rate

Hi all,

I am not a (current) 86 owner, instead I have a mark 3 MR2. I hope you don't mind me invading your forum!

I want to upgrade the radio in my MR2 and I've heard that the radio from a GT86 is basically a straight swap in. This appeals to me because it's a modern radio but doesn't have the stupid lights and buttons of an aftermarket radio. I would like a 2017 unit so I can have DAB (which I understand is only on post 2017 models). Have any been sold? Do they come up often? I guess those of you looking to track your cars might not have need of a radio. And the most important question, how much is the going rate? 

26 minutes ago, MR2Spruce said:

Hi all,

I am not a (current) 86 owner, instead I have a mark 3 MR2. I hope you don't mind me invading your forum!

I want to upgrade the radio in my MR2 and I've heard that the radio from a GT86 is basically a straight swap in. This appeals to me because it's a modern radio but doesn't have the stupid lights and buttons of an aftermarket radio. I would like a 2017 unit so I can have DAB (which I understand is only on post 2017 models). Have any been sold? Do they come up often? I guess those of you looking to track your cars might not have need of a radio. And the most important question, how much is the going rate? 

I have DAB 2012 model so many people don't rate the stock system should be a few about

27 minutes ago, nikndel said:

I have DAB 2012 model so many people don't rate the stock system should be a few about

Ah ok. From what I've read you can have older headunits updated to get DAB, did yours have that done? Any idea how much they sell for?

43 minutes ago, MR2Spruce said:

Ah ok. From what I've read you can have older headunits updated to get DAB, did yours have that done? Any idea how much they sell for?

43 minutes ago, MR2Spruce said:

My car was a year old and it was fitted already seen a few on EBay you just have to keep checking someone on here may have one perhaps they will see this thread

I've got the pre-facelift headunit (2015) and I updated it myself to nav and dab, really straight forward. The downside is that the dab unit is another £300 on top, and the nav is about the same if you can find the module.  My old headunit is just gathering dust.

6 minutes ago, Dave86 said:

I've got the pre-facelift headunit (2015) and I updated it myself to nav and dab, really straight forward. The downside is that the dab unit is another £300 on top, and the nav is about the same if you can find the module.  My old headunit is just gathering dust.

Your old headunit is one without DAB and Navy? Is it still a screen though?

The stock head unit is pretty rubbish really. As other's have said you could add DAB but it was expensive. I haven't seen many post 2017 Head units being offered up for sale but you never know. I've got a stock head unit from 2013, only used a month from new.  No DAB, no sat nav as I was always going to take it out after buying my car. They all have a touch screen. I'd honestly say buy an aftermarket head unit, it wouldn't be difficult to do better than the stock unit. 

17 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The stock head unit is pretty rubbish really. As other's have said you could add DAB but it was expensive. I haven't seen many post 2017 Head units being offered up for sale but you never know. I've got a stock head unit from 2013, only used a month from new.  No DAB, no sat nav as I was always going to take it out after buying my car. They all have a touch screen. I'd honestly say buy an aftermarket head unit, it wouldn't be difficult to do better than the stock unit. 

Thanks for the info! What makes it rubbish?

Just now, MR2Spruce said:

Thanks for the info! What makes it rubbish?

It's just utter shite, no pre-outs for an amp, the touch screen is a bit laggy and low res. It doesn't have DAB, you cannot adjust the bass individually. The trouble is the entire system is crap which is why I ditched it after a month and went for a pro-install. I got sat nav and DAB that way too with an Alpine HU. It'd probably work okay with decent speakers having said all that. 

26 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It's just utter shite, no pre-outs for an amp, the touch screen is a bit laggy and low res. It doesn't have DAB, you cannot adjust the bass individually. The trouble is the entire system is crap which is why I ditched it after a month and went for a pro-install. I got sat nav and DAB that way too with an Alpine HU. It'd probably work okay with decent speakers having said all that. 

Fair enough! If I just wanted a head unit that I could listen to a bit of radio but mainly Bluetooth music and wanted something easy that didn't look like something out of the fast and the furious would it be ok?

It'll do the job you're after. Its fine for what it is, but there are much better systems out there for the money and the sound quality will never be great. if you want to upgrade in the future it will then be a waste of money.

Provided your source that it's a straight swap is reliable, if you can find one for sale then go for it. I know what you mean about the looks thing. 

2 hours ago, MR2Spruce said:

Your old headunit is one without DAB and Navy? Is it still a screen though?

Yeah the old one I removed is just the screen, so normal CD, radio and bluetooth.

I've got a 17 unit with dab but no nav.  Ripped it straight out because it is utter rubbish.  I've seen the older units on ebay going for around £300 which is an outrageous price.  I'm holding on to mine so can return to stock if I sell.  As others have said though there are much better options for much less money.  If I spent £300 buying one of these units I'd be gutted when I realised I'd just been robbed. 

30 minutes ago, mart86 said:

I've got a 17 unit with dab but no nav.  Ripped it straight out because it is utter rubbish.  I've seen the older units on ebay going for around £300 which is an outrageous price.  I'm holding on to mine so can return to stock if I sell.  As others have said though there are much better options for much less money.  If I spent £300 buying one of these units I'd be gutted when I realised I'd just been robbed.

Yeah £300 would be much too much! 

Got the Nav headunit and can confirm its a bit shite compared to aftermarket offerings. The Dab upgrade for the older units is laughable too. Mega money, clunky hardware add on and by all accounts a bit naff.

Looking to get DAB myself but am just going to part out for a new unit and go from there.

2 hours ago, gavin_t said:

The Dab upgrade for the older units is laughable too. Mega money, clunky hardware add on and by all accounts a bit naff.

I disagree. It never loses reception, extremely easy to install, 0 problem with it whatsoever.  Not sure where these other accounts of it being naff are, I've never seen one.

19 minutes ago, Dave86 said:

I disagree. It never loses reception, extremely easy to install, 0 problem with it whatsoever.  Not sure where these other accounts of it being naff are, I've never seen one.

Which version/unit have you got? Mine is defiantly on the clunky side!

The DAB that is controlled from the screen, no boxes or anything, totally hidden behind the headunit. No remote control or anything.

I know Toyota did one with a remote control as well that seemed to be a bit of a bodge.

I got the same as twigman in this post http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/1354-touch-go-dab-options/?page=3