Test Drives Unlimited

****Over 100k in just over 5yrs Ownership****

Well my car has now covered 101,330 miles which have been faultless :P apart from the Smart Locking System that went wrong last year :(

Have renewed the Service Contract for another 30,000 miles which is 1.5yrs servicing covered :D

A couple of photo's taken at Spa last Tuesday..........

Just a quick question : How do you know when the Coil Packs need replacing on this car ?

95F_1242.JPG

95F_1311.JPG

That's great, Nigel. I'm currently just over 120K in five and a half years. :) 

I'm surprised you haven't done a coilpack yet, I've had all mine replaced by 110K miles. It will throw an EML. Coil packs are £87 plus fitting (it's a 15 minute job). 

Other issues in that mileage, wheel bearing at 110K miles, CV joint at 70K miles. Had the heated seat switch illumination go twice, didn't bother to get it sorted the second time round as the seat still heats fine, it's just a light. 

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:56 PM, Lauren said:

That's great, Nigel. I'm currently just over 120K in five and a half years. :) 

I'm surprised you haven't done a coilpack yet, I've had all mine replaced by 110K miles. It will throw an EML. Coil packs are £87 plus fitting (it's a 15 minute job). 

Other issues in that mileage, wheel bearing at 110K miles, CV joint at 70K miles. Had the heated seat switch illumination go twice, didn't bother to get it sorted the second time round as the seat still heats fine, it's just a light. 

I have heard that the coil packs may be more of an issue when aftermarket manifolds are fitted. Not sure if Nigel has one fitted or not?
Think it is the heat that kills them off <_<

3 hours ago, gavin_t said:

I have heard that the coil packs may be more of an issue when aftermarket manifolds are fitted. Not sure if Nigel has one fitted or not?
Think it is the heat that kills them off <_<

Nigel's car is stock. I have had one go with the TD manifold, the other three perished in the first 100K before it was fitted, so that doesn't ring true as such. 

I would say it's more down to how hard you drive it. Really buzzing it near the redline on change up is what seems to bring on the EML for the coil pack. Nigel has an auto so harder to do I would say. Out of the four coilpacks that went, I noticed nothing other than the EML with the first three but the last one to go, failed completely and I was running on three cylinders. It threw an EML when I started my car on the morning of the TSS. Then went off. Did a second run and it came on again and it was then running on three cylinders.