lewism1

Ruined my windscreen

On 04/10/2018 at 2:23 PM, lewism1 said:

Thought people might appreciate an update.

I tried @nerdstrike's suggestion of nail polish remover. Cleaned the windscreen like I normally would, dried it, and then applied the remover just using a microfibre cloth.

It worked! It's certainly not perfect, but I'd say 70% of the marks came out. When I have some time on the weekend, I'll do it again but put more effort in and see if I can get the rest out. 

Don't think I'll polish glass ever again!

Well that's something at least. Acetone is a very effective solvent. You could couple it with a toothbrush maybe to provide some agitation to any deposits that get softened/mobilised by the solvent.

Jeez, something hard fell on my windscreen this morning, and now I have a beautiful scratch arcing across the passenger side. :angry:

I guess I'm now going to find out whether Autoglym screen polish is going to work as a rubbing compound! Pretty sure I've got some jewellers' rouge somewhere too.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:46 PM, lewism1 said:

I have a feeling they're very small chips, and the polish has settled in them - but I can't understand how there can be so many chips - there are easily 300+. I know the paint on these cars is shit, but the glass too?

I had the same problem this  weekend - I thought it had snowed when I saw all the white spots - not quite 300 for me tho haha!

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, will300 said:

Get some G-Techniq Nanotech glass polish, it will remove any existing polish or coating.

https://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/g4-nanotech-glass-polish

G4 caused the white spots for me!  I washed, glass cleaned, razor bladed, clayed, then Gtechniq G4 glass polish and that's when the white spots appeared.

You're supposed to use G6 glass cleaner after using polishing with G4, but I used my own IPA solution instead - it made the spots less noticeable but still there.  Think I'll have to splash out on G6 to see if it will remove those spots.

I messed up the application of G5 rain repellent as well, left it on too long to buff off, so had to wipe it off with a damp microfibre...  boo!  Will probably do the whole process again when I get the G6 glass cleaner delivered.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:23 PM, lewism1 said:

Thought people might appreciate an update.

I tried @nerdstrike's suggestion of nail polish remover. Cleaned the windscreen like I normally would, dried it, and then applied the remover just using a microfibre cloth.

It worked! It's certainly not perfect, but I'd say 70% of the marks came out. When I have some time on the weekend, I'll do it again but put more effort in and see if I can get the rest out. 

Don't think I'll polish glass ever again!

Glad you got it sorted, but I really don't know what went wrong, I have used AG glass polish for years on multiple cars and never had an issue. The key is to use very sparingly on initial wipe on before rubbing/polishing off when dry. It is a good/essential prep for then using a glass sealant for rain shedding (do it right and you rarely have to use the wipers of you are going fast enough to blow the rain off). It may be worth contacting AG directly about what happened, they have a good customer service rep and should respond to see what happened. Incidentally, they normally recommend their own Fast Glass for removing most things from windscreens, including I assume their own products.

5 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

Autoglym screen polish didn't so much as touch my scratch. I guess I'll have to up the ante or get a new windscreen after winter.

Glass much harder than paint, so doing it by hand won't do much.

At the very least, you'll need a DA polisher with a glass cutting pad, and possibly a heavier cutting compound than AG screen polish.  Or put a hammer thru it and call your insurance and pay £70 for a new one lol

I actually ended up getting a new windscreen last week. I thought I had gotten most of it sorted until I had to start driving to work in the low sun and couldn't see anything whatsoever

Jeez, it sounds like you must have driven through one of those Icelandic volcanic dust storms. This time of year is terrible for showing up the imperfections.

@KAS Thanks for the pointer. I know I'm doomed. I'm sure I can count on road debris to take out my third windscreen - I've been averaging one repair a year as it is. Cambridgeshire in winter is like driving in a slate mine.

3 hours ago, lewism1 said:

I actually ended up getting a new windscreen last week. I thought I had gotten most of it sorted until I had to start driving to work in the low sun and couldn't see anything whatsoever

Mine is like your's has been like it for years. Can hardly see if the sun is right on it, my screen has thousands of white specks that pick up in the sun. I thought it was just tiny chips from the high mileage my car has done. Though I've got quite a few chips in my screen I don't really want to replace the windscreen unless I absolutely have to. 

On 29/10/2018 at 6:06 PM, Lauren said:

Mine is like your's has been like it for years. Can hardly see if the sun is right on it, my screen has thousands of white specks that pick up in the sun. I thought it was just tiny chips from the high mileage my car has done. Though I've got quite a few chips in my screen I don't really want to replace the windscreen unless I absolutely have to. 

Mine's the same, I just accept that doing motorway miles means I'm going to have a sandblasted windscreen.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Mine's the same, I just accept that doing motorway miles means I'm going to have a sandblasted windscreen.

Not to mention the front bumper... came across the first gritter yesterday, had to bail off on a diversion to avoid it :D 

had similar issues across all my cars, even ones ive had from brand new. i always thought it was just from using microfibres to clean the inside until i noticed its all on the outside for sure
pain the bottom thats for sure when its sunny!