Montatron

The next step...

Yeah, I think that has to be the next step. Do some track work, see what happens. As Lauren said, if I do track stuff I can well imagine the brakes will suffer and a big brake kit would be an idea. But if I'm not a fan then I can think about TD turbo kit 🙂

I've thought about the TD turbo kit on and off.  To be honest, though, every time I think I may not have enough power I drive it some more and realise I do have plenty for all my normal driving.  I have the full NA kit, TD exhaust and ECUTeK tune.

Yeah, I've got the TD manifold and map. Really worth the money. Probably the best mod you can do, it makes the car so much more lively!

My problem is I get itchy when the car hasn't been in bits by my own hand for a while 😜 .... Recaro's you say 🤔🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Montatron said:

Sorry mate! I didn't read that right what so ever 😜

Yeah, the guys from tuning development said they were good when I get the manifold done. I'm actually very tempted by the gear box bush insert too. Then I started wondering about the diff and and rear sub frame inserts too.

The simple fact that they're pretty cheap too makes them very tempting. But then you get the "if they're cheap, are they crap" thing 😜

The shift spring and gearbox insert are great modifications that should be as much of a no-brainer as the TD NA kit. Ignore that they're cheap; they are seriously effective.

The shift spring and gearbox insert are great modifications that should be as much of a no-brainer as the TD NA kit. Ignore that they're cheap; they are seriously effective.
I am keen to hear more about this. Does it solve the gear box notchiness when cold or makes moving from 3 to 2 easier when cold? Or is it a feel thing and is not solving a fundamental characteristic/ issue of the gear box as it is near perfect for me when warm. Never been able to fully understand this but will value your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

I am keen to hear more about this. Does it solve the gear box notchiness when cold or makes moving from 3 to 2 easier when cold? Or is it a feel thing and is not solving a fundamental characteristic/ issue of the gear box as it is near perfect for me when warm. Never been able to fully understand this but will value your thoughts.

Its just a feel thing. The shift spring is one of the best mods for the 86, it gives the gear change a rifle bolt feel, its lovely and you don't get bored of it.

I have done the insert and springs on mine and they are very easy to do. While it hasn't solved the cold gearbox issues the mods have certainly reduced them and once warmed as mentioned the box does feel a lot more positive and rifle bolt like. 

1 minute ago, Varelco said:

Its just a feel thing. The shift spring is one of the best mods for the 86, it gives the gear change a rifle bolt feel, its lovely and you don't get bored of it.

Exactly this.  No significant difference when cold, and I would've agreed with the "near perfect when warm" thing before I had it done.  That's why it's such a great mod, it's surprising that it can be so much better, and for not much money.

You'll never solve the issue about 2nd gear being difficult to select when coming down from third when cold, but it goes away after a few minutes of driving. Just learn to live with it, I have for the last 120K miles and five winters! 

You'll never solve the issue about 2nd gear being difficult to select when coming down from third when cold, but it goes away after a few minutes of driving. Just learn to live with it, I have for the last 120K miles and five winters! 
Thanks all for the feedback on the mtec.
My issue is the housing area I live in means I have to cross schools, many local roads, so 2 to 1 , 3 to 2 is far more frequent for 2 odd miles and it is quite embarrassing to hold up traffic and not move quick enough out of a junction, mini roundabout etc. Bruteforce the gear box , is the only option I have as nothing else seems to work. I have learnt to live with it while hating it and hoping someone has found a cure which I can also implement.

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

Thanks all for the feedback on the mtec.
My issue is the housing area I live in means I have to cross schools, many local roads, so 2 to 1 , 3 to 2 is far more frequent for 2 odd miles and it is quite embarrassing to hold up traffic and not move quick enough out of a junction, mini roundabout etc. Bruteforce the gear box , is the only option I have as nothing else seems to work. I have learnt to live with it while hating it and hoping someone has found a cure which I can also implement.

A shift extender greatly helps with the cold shift but it depends if you can live with the looks

22 hours ago, smudge said:

Shifter springs are a great inexpensive mod to improve the driving feel 

I had these fitted along with the white line positive shift bush whilst having my NA kit fitted at TD.

I am going to go against the grain and say I don't like them and preferred it before :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Admittedly haven't tried it on track again since the mods but all I feel it has done is make the shift stiffer and increased transmission noise around town at low speeds :mellow:

A shift extender greatly helps with the cold shift but it depends if you can live with the looks
Thank you. Do you know any suppliers in the UK as a search takes me to FT86speedfactory

8 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Thank you. Do you know any suppliers in the UK as a search takes me to FT86speedfactory

The one I have that @will300 also picked up was from ebay and was about £2! Maybe worth a try to see if it works for you / you can deal with the looksIMG_20180207_080147_Hagrid_Black.thumb.jpg.8d39df82d0be3a48e859d8e230c51dff.jpg

6 hours ago, gavin_t said:

I had these fitted along with the white line positive shift bush whilst having my NA kit fitted at TD.

I am going to go against the grain and say I don't like them and preferred it before :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Admittedly haven't tried it on track again since the mods but all I feel it has done is make the shift stiffer and increased transmission noise around town at low speeds :mellow:

I'm surprised by that, I find that it takes barely any effort to move between gears, almost like it's helping to guide you in.

Transmission noise is down to the mount. The solution to that is getting yourself an antisocial exhaust, you won't notice the transmission noise. B)

4 hours ago, maurice said:

The Superpro shift bush is cheaper and quieter than the Whiteline item.

Doh! I was trying to remember the conversation we had at brands. Thought it was the other way around :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, spikyone said:

I'm surprised by that, I find that it takes barely any effort to move between gears, almost like it's helping to guide you in.

Transmission noise is down to the mount. The solution to that is getting yourself an antisocial exhaust, you won't notice the transmission noise. B)

Hmmm unless something isn't quite aligned right then with mine??

Felt it was like you describe before and all this has done is increase the self centering of the gearstick in the gaiter.

No loud exhaust for me as I don't want to be banned from Bedford yet :lol: