Kaltorak

Worst Car Ever Driven

This might be contentious, but I had a '17 1.2 fiesta as a courtesy car that I thought was pretty awful.

While everything (bar the drivetrain) was inoffensive, it was all just disappointing. The seats were flat and shapeless, so while not being actively uncomfortable they were not a nice place to sit. The position was upright and the cabin was clearly set out for packaging and not for comfort. The stereo had an absurd number of buttons and a diddy screen hidden away in the far recesses of the dash. There was some bizarre orange downlight that came on at night and illuminated only the empty cupholders in the centre console. The handling was sort of capable, but had no feel or sense so even when stuff happened at the front wheels you had no idea what or when. 

But the engine, my god. It felt like the literal equivalent of flogging a dead horse. You had to redline it to accelerate, and in top gear it seemed to have just enough torque to maintain 70 on a motorway and no more. I regularly upshifted, welded my foot to the floor, and found myself slowing down. After some googling realised that they were using some ancient duratec engine. Which had less power than my '97 1.2 Clio.

On the OP's experiences, I have never experienced a gearbox as bad as a peugeot or citroen. We have a citroen nemo work van and the gearstick is apparently gateless and positionless, so gear selection feels like a lottery at best. We've got an old 60s Massey Ferguson with a more positive gearchange. 

The worst car I've driven was a SEAT Altea. I took my very nice, leather lined, fast, top of the range Peugeot 508 GT in for a service and sat nav update and got that hideous, noisy pile of garbage in exchange.

Thankfully for only a day.

Horrible scratchy plastics - check.

grumbly, inflexible engine - check.

crap, fiddly touch screen radio - check.

Horrendous road noise - check.

Yeah, not a fan.

Right , where do we  start with? Maybe it would be ok to point out , that in my country if someone had a fiesta or a vauxhall - they were like upper class citizen. I drove a lot of eastern European cars, and believe me - what you have here - is 1000 times better .

1. Fiat 126p - 0.6 liter version, starter operated with a handle next to gear lever!

2. Polonez 1500 - rwd car with suspension made of cotton - Top gear had a feature of it

3. Skoda Favorit - 80s plastic fantastic

4. Skoda 120 - get a wire and fix it up with it

5. Syrena 105

6. Nysa 522 - polish ford transit

7. Wartburg 1.3 tourist  - this one is great - some bodywork made of plastic - if you would take it to Africa - it would melt!

I could get you pages of stories to each of them. Go google them up, loads of fun to

Recent ones :

1. Peugeot Nemo

Worst cars iv'e had in order, 70's & 80's:

Citroen Dyane (sea sick)

Austin 1100

MG Midget

Jag Mk10

Best cars iv'e had:

Mini Cooper 1969

Ford Cortina 2000 GXL

MGB GT

Ford Cortina 1600E

Vauxhall Firenza 1.8

VW Beetle 1.6 (old style)

And loads inbetween

Worst thing I've ever driven. A new shape Fiat Tipo.

The steering wheel wasnt connected to the front wheels in any way. It was powered by thoughts and prayers and was the cheapest feeling thing inside and out.

Absolutely no reason why someone would spend their money on one.

Dacia Duster...

I once got one as a hire car. If you ever want the feeling of being completely disconnected from the road then get one of these.

I never understood what they're actually for. It takes up an entire car park, too big for comfortable city driving, the interior is made of papier mache, and a 3 cylinder engine useless at anything sporty or off road.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:50 AM, GoonerKev said:

Worst cars iv'e had in order, 70's & 80's:

Citroen Dyane (sea sick)

Austin 1100

MG Midget

Jag Mk10

Best cars iv'e had:

Mini Cooper 1969

Ford Cortina 2000 GXL

MGB GT

Ford Cortina 1600E

Vauxhall Firenza 1.8

VW Beetle 1.6 (old style)

And loads inbetween

Let me guess, you’re 50ish?

Worst Cars I've Driven;

Bodged together Redtop Corsa B. The engine mounts were seemingly made of cotton wool and the battery shorted in the boot. It was picked up for parts, but it had been bodged together so badly the only thing really salvageable was the engine.

Peugeot 208 1.0 Petrol... It felt like a liability at any junction. Motorway driving was horrendous.

Worst Cars I've Owned;

DC2 Integra (this was also one of the best cars I've driven, but we will come back to that). Fragile, in the time I had it it cracked a piston, the alternator exploded, the window fell into the passenger door, 2 weeks later into the drivers door, the engine was utterly hopeless unless you were 'on it'

Mitsubishi Colt 1.6. Horrendous suspension. I really couldn't get on with the handling in the thing.

Best Cars I've Owned;

E36 M3 - track spec. I really loved that car. Sadly it's now in Russia, I sold it online and received the export paperwork a few weeks later. I half expected to see it rolling into Ukraine with a GPMG on the roof.

Altezza RS200 (x2) - I had 2 at the same time, one I fitted with a GReddy Turbo kit (on my works car park) the other I used as a daily. Great chassis, great rev hungry BEAMS engine and the best indicator engagement I've ever felt.

Clio 182 - Fantastic chassis, throaty engine and a solid reliable package throughout 

EP91 Glanza V - Owned 2, both were frantically quick. Primitive chassis lead to 'engaging' handling and the noise they make is fantastic.

1985 Honda Civic GT - At the time it was one of 3 left on the road in the UK. The first actively 'sporty' Civic and the first to be fitted with fuel injection. Cool little car.

DC2 Integra - When you were on it, the engine went. The chassis was truly sublime, it pivoted around you and really felt like it was on it's toes. In some ways it reminds me of the BRZ.

I've probably missed a few... I've had 40+ cars. But there we go.

I have a new entry: Fiat 500X with 1.3L diesel.

It's big and lardy, the boot is quite small, it seems to have a steering lag as well as turbo lag. It struggled and did not feel settled at 130km/h on the superstrada, it struggled to pull away with any urgency and then piled on boost after it was too late, its turning circle was lousy, and its traction on a dirt road was dismal considering the rufty-tufty looks. It provided speed limit prompts which were completely wrong for much of the journey.

While the interior materials were surprisingly high quality, the driver interface was quirky (I'm looking at you, wiper controls) and the rear right passenger door insisted on being opened only from outside unless the front passenger pushed their door unlock button (and not the driver's door unlock). The keyfob was needlessly massive.

For a four person agriturismo gettaway it was just about fit for purpose but much too chunky and lazy for Italian driving. May those who bought these on purpose wallow in their own misery!

I'm going to throw a potentially controversial car in here. 

Peugeot 206 GTi. 

I know a fair few people will like them, and I did until I drove one. I was working in the motor trade at the time so it was a good opportunity for me to drive a lot of cars, this particular one came in part exchange and my god was it a lemon. 

It didn't drive anywhere near the expectation that I had and it felt like it was put together with plastic and some superglue (it is french, after all). 

Worst I've driven has got to be the Smart car... had one as a courtesy car and thought hmm this has a surprisingly punchy engine as I joined the dual carriageway. But then the first corner I got to gave me a serious fright 😱

On 10/16/2019 at 12:40 PM, JJB said:

I'm going to throw a potentially controversial car in here. 

Peugeot 206 GTi. 

I know a fair few people will like them, and I did until I drove one. I was working in the motor trade at the time so it was a good opportunity for me to drive a lot of cars, this particular one came in part exchange and my god was it a lemon. 

It didn't drive anywhere near the expectation that I had and it felt like it was put together with plastic and some superglue (it is french, after all). 

That's really disappointing. That was a Peugeot I always wanted to like!

In no particular order:

Simca 1100 (parents)

Morris Minor (girlfriends)

Austin Allegro (any of them)

Austin Morris Sherpa van (O Series engined)

Hyundai Stella (friend)  Replaced a capri 2.8 would you believe it !!!🙄

Fiat Uno (1980s)  (hire car)

DisASTRAvan (Mk3) (work van)   Hilariously bad steering

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk1 (family gift!!!)

Skoda Felica & Skoda Fabia  (Parents cars and truly terrible)

VW Camper (split screen and bay)  (friend) They look cool but jeez they really are not fun to drive

Driven a fair few crappy courtesy cars since the 1990's which are extremely bad but nothing as bad as any of the above

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:22 AM, Addymk2 said:

Worst Cars I've Driven;

Bodged together Redtop Corsa B. The engine mounts were seemingly made of cotton wool and the battery shorted in the boot. It was picked up for parts, but it had been bodged together so badly the only thing really salvageable was the engine.

Peugeot 208 1.0 Petrol... It felt like a liability at any junction. Motorway driving was horrendous.

Worst Cars I've Owned;

DC2 Integra (this was also one of the best cars I've driven, but we will come back to that). Fragile, in the time I had it it cracked a piston, the alternator exploded, the window fell into the passenger door, 2 weeks later into the drivers door, the engine was utterly hopeless unless you were 'on it'

Mitsubishi Colt 1.6. Horrendous suspension. I really couldn't get on with the handling in the thing.

Best Cars I've Owned;

E36 M3 - track spec. I really loved that car. Sadly it's now in Russia, I sold it online and received the export paperwork a few weeks later. I half expected to see it rolling into Ukraine with a GPMG on the roof.

Altezza RS200 (x2) - I had 2 at the same time, one I fitted with a GReddy Turbo kit (on my works car park) the other I used as a daily. Great chassis, great rev hungry BEAMS engine and the best indicator engagement I've ever felt.

Clio 182 - Fantastic chassis, throaty engine and a solid reliable package throughout 

EP91 Glanza V - Owned 2, both were frantically quick. Primitive chassis lead to 'engaging' handling and the noise they make is fantastic.

1985 Honda Civic GT - At the time it was one of 3 left on the road in the UK. The first actively 'sporty' Civic and the first to be fitted with fuel injection. Cool little car.

DC2 Integra - When you were on it, the engine went. The chassis was truly sublime, it pivoted around you and really felt like it was on it's toes. In some ways it reminds me of the BRZ.

I've probably missed a few... I've had 40+ cars. But there we go.

Haha everyone loves a ropy red top corsa :lol:

I had a corsa gsi and desperately wanted to convert it to a red top. parents talked me out of it and I brought a EP3 civic type R, well done dad :lol:

Interesting your thoughts on the DC2, always heard of them been totally dependable. but agree sublime when on it but frustrating to daily.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:00 PM, gavin_t said:

Haha everyone loves a ropy red top corsa :lol:

I had a corsa gsi and desperately wanted to convert it to a red top. parents talked me out of it and I brought a EP3 civic type R, well done dad :lol:

Interesting your thoughts on the DC2, always heard of them been totally dependable. but agree sublime when on it but frustrating to daily.

Used to put them together with a mate on the driveway when I was at school, if someone brought along the motor, the mounts and the Corsa we'd throw it in over a weekend for £300

I've not had an EP3, I've been out in a few and they always felt damn good but the DC2 had put me off VTEC for life 😣

I've a feeling I picked up a lemon with the DC2. Looked clean, had paperwork to back up everything but then imploded in every way shape and form it could. I don't think I'd pick up another though, VTEC is just like the biggest turbo lag known to man, followed by half the steam.

A Toyota Aygo first edition, which I hired on the isle of Crete. Must have been the year 2007. For me it was impossible to find a comfortable position behind the sticky plastic wheel. The car was in a bad condition. It was on three different tyres, which they don't care about. The gear lever had massive play and the clutch was pretty much worn. I didn't have any confidence in the car, especially on the degraded roads over there. Halfway our trip I felt something weird in the steering. One of the tyres had lost a lot of its initial pressure. So I pulled over to put on the spare, which wasn't an improvement at all. It appeared not to be balanced at all. Their safety standards, if any, aren't what we're used to. 

Could I have got a better car? Not in the small village where we were staying.

The rental Fiesta we had in Crete last week wasn't much better, and had so many dings and scratches before we took possesion that the report was hilarious. Then we saw how the Cretans drive!

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:37 AM, Addymk2 said:

Used to put them together with a mate on the driveway when I was at school, if someone brought along the motor, the mounts and the Corsa we'd throw it in over a weekend for £300

I've not had an EP3, I've been out in a few and they always felt damn good but the DC2 had put me off VTEC for life 😣

I've a feeling I picked up a lemon with the DC2. Looked clean, had paperwork to back up everything but then imploded in every way shape and form it could. I don't think I'd pick up another though, VTEC is just like the biggest turbo lag known to man, followed by half the steam.

EP3 are good out the box however a few subtle changes make them a lot better and make the vtec less frustrating :lol:

Still the best gearbox I have used though :D

Were you ever on the corsasport forum?

On 11/12/2019 at 11:14 AM, gavin_t said:

EP3 are good out the box however a few subtle changes make them a lot better and make the vtec less frustrating :lol:

Still the best gearbox I have used though :D

Were you ever on the corsasport forum?

Sadly not mate, must have been 15/16 years ago I was doing that! Typing that's just made me feel real old real fast 😁