Kaltorak

Disks and pads.

You can check this from your manual or ask Mike when you take it to TD soon, and he will be able to tell you while it is on the ramp.

Thanks. Messaged Toyota uk direct. My brakes are smaller 276, standard is 294 . Learn something new every day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Angelina said:

Thanks. Messaged Toyota uk direct. My brakes are smaller 276, standard is 294 emoji51.png. Learn something new every day emoji4.png

I thought that's what I'd seen 👍

If you want to read more on primo
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/2810-review-gt86-primo-a-week-in/&share_tid=2810&share_fid=153012&share_type=t

Most have 16 inch wheels which might be why it has smaller brakes, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks. I messaged Toyota uk, they confirmed that Primo has smaller brakes 276, standard is 294. Nice review thank you

On 9/29/2018 at 4:52 PM, Kaltorak said:

Right, just for confirmation, if you go for the dba disks and yellow stuff pads you shouldn't install the anti squeal shims supplied with the pads. 

The disks are very slightly wider than standard, and the shims make the pad assembly slightly wider than normal. 

These 2 slight increases mean the pads will be in contact with the disks causing heat buildup and excessive wear if left like that. 

Big thanks to part box and lucas especially for getting to the bottom of my problems. 

Sorry to revive an old thread but how did you get on with the new disc and pad setup? I'm looking at doing something similar soon as my front pads and discs are also worn out after a few track days. 

9 hours ago, Luke said:

Sorry to revive an old thread but how did you get on with the new disc and pad setup? I'm looking at doing something similar soon as my front pads and discs are also worn out after a few track days. 

Think hard about a bbk up front. Certainly the dba is great, confident feel vs stock. 

I think when my current disks are out I'll get a bbk though. Seems to be a sensible option for long term cost as well. 

15 minutes ago, Tubbytommy said:

If your tracking the car the oem caliper and aftermarket disc/pads are not up to the job.

20190530_144859.jpg

That's not strictly true. A good, track specific aftermarket pad is up to the job. The main advantages of a bbk on the 86 is better heat management allowing for longer sessions and reduced consumables costs over time. 

Well, i and many others could track just fine with right pads and fluid on stockers. Maybe it's just you for whatever reasons.

Yes, some limits are lower, eg. max session length or they start to get less adequate with very extensive other mods (eg. low treadwear slicks, or heavy aero, or forced induction), but with reasonably normal tires, NA power, i feel stockers more then upto job. My full concentration/attention span will not last past 20min anyway, and i don't plan in going with mods too far to keep track spendings reasonable, and for that with just good pads and fluid stock brakes do just fine. Many cars have way less capable stock brakes.

Of course one can taxate them more in ways i mentioned above, past their capabilities, but will that represent majority of twin owners that are track enthusiasts?

I'm sure if you put track specific pads in just for the track then they'll manage, well just about. But really who wants to mess around doing that? I found aftermarket pads did improve braking but not by a huge amount and I even struggled on one lap of a sprint, though you have to brake very hard indeed. I only do short sessions on track anyway of ten minutes or so, but I was finding my brakes were the limiting factor. 

Fitting the AP kit completely solves that issue and gives you complete confidence because they are consistent lap after lap. It's a no brainer going for the AP kit on the front if you do a fair bit of track work or hit Alpine passes on the downhill hard. 

With tires of around MPS4 grip i could easily go for 15min with no brake fade on stock brakes with MBF660 fluid and even on not really track pads like DS2500 for 15min sessions trashing on track (they started to fade if i kept driving longer, which i usually didn't). Currently changed to CSG C1, and with those i can brake consistently even when rotors are gloving red and dustboot rubber smokes. Inadequate? Well, perfectly sufficient for me.

Yes, i'd still wish BBK, but only for cheaper wearables. Otherwise BBK for me means 1) according local MOT inspection rules failure of street legality, 2) not being able to fit my narrow R16 winter set (if anything, i find trackdays in winter on ice tracks even more fun). So i'm glad that from own experience for my track needs stock brakes of twins do good enough job unlike scare stories you guys are telling, and i'm not having to pass such enjoyable hobby as trackdays due that.

Yes, stock - everything -, including pads & fluid, indeed, among first limits one soon hits on completely stock twin on track, but imho you guys shun their capabilities with proper fluid & pads too much, opposite to my own experience, at least on car with tires of moderate grip and without forced induction.

14 minutes ago, Church said:

With tires of around MPS4 grip i could easily go for 15min with no brake fade on stock brakes with MBF660 fluid and even on not really track pads like DS2500 for 15min sessions trashing on track (they started to fade if i kept driving longer, which i usually didn't). Currently changed to CSG C1, and with those i can brake consistently even when rotors are gloving red and dustboot rubber smokes. Inadequate? Well, perfectly sufficient for me.

Yes, i'd still wish BBK, but only for cheaper wearables. Otherwise BBK for me means 1) according local MOT inspection rules failure of street legality, 2) not being able to fit my narrow R16 winter set (if anything, i find trackdays in winter on ice tracks even more fun). So i'm glad that from own experience for my track needs stock brakes of twins do good enough job unlike scare stories you guys are telling, and i'm not having to pass such enjoyable hobby as trackdays due that.

Yes, stock - everything -, including pads & fluid, indeed, among first limits one soon hits on completely stock twin on track, but imho you guys shun their capabilities with proper fluid & pads too much, opposite to my own experience, at least on car with tires of moderate grip and without forced induction.

Have to agree with @Church on this - decent fluid and pads and the oem brake set up is fine for up to 20-30 min sessions. That's been my experience on road and tracks over the last 5 years or so in my 86 anyway. BBK is better for longer sessions and cheaper consumables though without doubt and for those reasons I will pick up a BBK at some point I'm sure. 

I would say entirely stock breaks aren't up to decent track sessions. Mine didn't inspire confidence, with judder through the pedal and fade after about 15 mins. 

The dba disks and yellow stuff pads haven't found their limits on a 15 minute session. And at that point the engine oil needs to cool off anyway. 

A bbk would certainly do the job,  as well or better but I would do an oil cooler at the same time to allow longer sessions. 

For those, that say they are inadequate, worth mentioning what tires they are running, if aero mods, and if forced induction, and what pads & fluid they had and how long sessions they were running when they experienced fade that made them to decide on BBK. What good is to state in generalized way that stock brakes are bad, if other 9/10 doesn't have specific mods that may put higher heat load? Or if those aftermarket pads that were used, were not really track ones, but only hybrid ones at best? Everything has meaning in context.

As for track sessions length for them to be enjoyable .. imho 15min are not that short. Yes, i now can go longer then that, once moved further up from hybrid pads i had, from car technical capability standpoint, but those extra minutes driven.. i probably am now too old or too physically/mentally unfit to spend 30min on track. Attention/concentration drops, starting to do more mistakes, running in sweaty .. why not drive off to cool brakes and for short rest for oneself with coffee & cigarette and maybe do some short checks, eg. tire air pressure adjustment, retighten lugnuts and such. On several local events organizers even limit rounds to 10-15min (probably because there are all kind of cars, including even with way less capable brakes, and also for queue of next cars to not wait too much).

I think you can improve it a lot if you want to spend £300 on DBA discs and expensive pads, but they'll never work at the level of AP's and the like. I've had my AP 4 pots on for a good 20K miles now and they are hardly worn. Cheaper replacement pads and all that really helps too. 

I always used stock discs and aftermarket pads before. They were okay and worked well enough, but I was often at their limits. The problem comes when the pads start getting a bit thin, so you need to change them sooner. 

A BBK is arguably the best mod you can do if you like your track work. 

Hence why I said think hard about a BBK, and why it's the upgrade I'll take after the DBA disks finally wear down.

One problem with a BBK is very few of them fit under stock wheels so you need to factor that cost in as well.

Luke, cant remember if your still on the stock wheels?