Sign in to follow this  
Yavor

Custom audio system

Hello,

My audio project aimed at good audio quality with as less as possible weight adding.

Replacing of the head unit is a required step. I’ve  chosen Pioneer AVIC -6200 but any renowned branding system will do the job. Separate filters (HP and LP) for front and back, time alignment at least are required. 2 din frame is easy to find at Ebay  or Amazon. I did research for speakers that work well without an amplifier. One of the best quality to price ratio that do the job appeared to be Morel's Maximus . Specially made for such purpose. https ://www .morelhifi .com/product/maximus -602-2-way/ for front line. Also added a rear view camera. 

I've  tried different setups for back line, but it appeared that back does not make any difference at all. So left the original, just cut them by the settings from the head unit in order to get the best out of them (that’s why separate setting for front and rear is needed). 

Isolation. Isolation is very important but good one adds a lot of weight too. I've  isolated only the speakers. Also observed the points at witch my doors resonated and putted Silent Coat at very small amounts only at that spot. 

Last but very import is the subwoofer . Custom box, amp and sub makes the best sound. However, adds weight too. So only solution is active sub, which can be easily removed for track days. Tried a lot of options. Best sounding active sub for me is Infinity Bass link.(https ://www .harmanaudio .com/infinity/BASSLINK _.html ) . It is an old sub, but still available at some spots (There is 3rd version but I have no experience with it). What was pretty cool is the size. Fits as it is produced for GT86. No joking. See the pictures 😊 Stop light above the sub resonates and produces an unpleasant noise at high load. The solution I figured (see the pictures) is not very elegant, but it does the job.

This setup performs better than factory JBL. I wont mention the advantages of aftermarket head unit. Very happy with the results. Hope this helps 😊

20180829_165709.jpg

20180829_165734.jpg

20180829_170020.jpg

20180829_170105.jpg

20180829_170206.jpg

20180829_173719.jpg

20180829_173748.jpg

That sub takes up a fair bit of boot space though. I have mine under the floor in the boot and run a  12" JBL with a Hertz amp running three channels, again under the boot floor. An Audison Bit 10 DSP makes a huge difference to sound I think. 

I agree the rear speakers are a waste of time, you just don't need them. Two way components in the front with a crossover is perfectly adequate. I run Focal 3's. 

I am a big fan of Bit10. Best for integration with stock head unit. Using it in my family wagon, where I have custom made sub with separate amp, very good isolation, it is just other story at totally different price. My idea here was to keep things simple as possible and with no weight gains. That's why I used upper class head unit with enough settings, no amp or dsp and removable sub. This is maybe one of the best cost effective ways as well. Did not expect to get even close to my other vehicle, but was surprised how good it sounds at the end. Our cars are noisy, poorly isolated and not the best place to build an audio, but the totally crap stock systems imposes this effort. :)