willclarke

UEL Manifold rest stock

Hi everyone!

Soon to be the new owner of an Orange GT86! :) 

FIrst thing will be a UEL header and remap - wondered if most UEL headers will fit the stock overpipe/rest of system. i.e can i just buy the UEL manifold (probably cobra one which is about £500 on ebay) and all will be well ?

Also, seen like mixed view on MOTs - as i understand a catless header will prove the best gains, leaving the second cat in - should still be okay through MOTs? 

Thanks

As long as you leave the second cat in you'll be fine for an MOT.

If you're thinking about headers and remap, have a look at Tuning Developments NA package. 

http://www.tuningdevelopments.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2567

Can't speak from personal experience but it's definitely on my to-do list. Recommended by pretty much everyone on this forum. 

Don't quote me on this but as far as I know most manifolds will be made to fit onto the stock overpipe. The only ones I can imagine that might not would be ones from a full system purchased individually. Hopefully someone can confirm this thought? 

Bear in mind with their NA package it is a complete package to get the most out of a GT86 without taking the step to forced induction. Take into account the ecutek license (which you will need to remap a GT86 as far as I know), the man hours going into the dyno runs and the labour itself and I think it's a pretty reasonable price.

However it is a lot of money, which is why I haven't taken the plunge yet, especially if you just want a manifold  and remap.

Also something to think about, if you're after the most gains from the manifold and remap, the majority believe the EL manifold serves best. But who doesn't love a scooby burble 🤣

Good luck! Enjoy your new car when you pick it up! 

Can speak from personal experiencefor TDs NA package. I got their UEL manifold. It is a lot of money but so worth it. The car is so much more responsive, such a joy to drive. The UEL noise is addictive. As above its also the ecutek license, having the car dyno'd and mapped properly, and the small extra bits they do. I also got an intake hose and gear bush and springs at the same time, really nice addition for shifting.

If youre thinking FI at some point in the future, it reduces that price as well through them. 

Theyve also done so many of these they know exactly what they're doing and you can trust them with your car which was a big thing for me. They thought they detected some untowards vibration in the steering and took the car back in the double check everything for me. 

The ecutek license and map will cost you about £500 all in. The lowest cost of the cobra manifold I have seen is £560. You're already at over £1000 with that alone in parts, so the TD package is very good value for money for what it's worth. I did consider the cobra manifold myself but saw very little reviews/tuning/dyno results on it so was skeptical; there are a number of cheaper manifolds on the market but not sure if they will give you the performance you want. 

I have taken the plunge on the TD UEL manifold and had it shipped to me. I have it booked in at Abbey for a tune soon - don't think many have done this so will be interesting to see how the results compare to those who take their cars to TD and have it fitted + mapped by them as well.

Would be interesting to see, got my dyno results around still, let us know once youve got it sorted, happy to post my for conparison. Good points on the cost breakdown as well. 

Yeh, I saw fensport who are nearby would do a bespoke map + license for about 530, and I've had a cobra cat back on my 370z which I was very pleased with, build quality seemed good enough to me. 

The only thing I can think of in addition is the overpipe, but I can't imagine it's definitely needed to have an aftermarket one against a cat less header for decent gains? 

4 hours ago, willclarke said:

Yeh, I saw fensport who are nearby would do a bespoke map + license for about 530, and I've had a cobra cat back on my 370z which I was very pleased with, build quality seemed good enough to me. 

The only thing I can think of in addition is the overpipe, but I can't imagine it's definitely needed to have an aftermarket one against a cat less header for decent gains? 

The OP doesn't really make much of a difference. Just remember that Fensport don't dyno tune, numbers rarely make the "estimated" figures.

7 hours ago, willclarke said:

Worth noting that the TD package also includes the heat wrap for the section connecting to the overpipe and a (K&N?) drop in air filter. I know the air filter adds a very small amount of power, though not sure the heat wrap has much significance - someone else can confirm this :)

2 minutes ago, sazabiskythe said:

Worth noting that the TD package also includes the heat wrap for the section connecting to the overpipe and a (K&N?) drop in air filter. I know the air filter adds a very small amount of power, though not sure the heat wrap has much significance - someone else can confirm this :)

The heat wrap is there to protect stuff that is close around it from heat. 

Another thing to consider is if you're likely to want to do any more mods in the future such as a cat back exhaust. If you do, potentially you won't be getting the best from your map and  you are likely to be charged to have another mapping session. It might be more prudent to get the cat back done first, then do the remap/manifold. Or, do it all in one go! :D

48 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The heat wrap is there to protect stuff that is close around it from heat. 

Ah yes, I have yet to install mine yet but it looks like it gets quite close to the induction hose.

I'd love to get a cat-back in first, but reading around it seems like most cat-backs will be too noisey with a decatted uel manifold too  - for daily use. There'll be a few early morning starts which i'm pretty sure will end up with a neighbours brick through the windscreen. the invidia q300 or something is apparently quiet, but others have left as stock (hence the OP) and its a good balance? What are your thoughts?

If the overpipe is close to the induction hose i imagine there'd be some heatsoak which would probably sap a few horses, something that could be sorted DIY'ey though I imagine. 

Already bought a K&N filter today :) - wonder if TD would take that off the price.

I guess bottom line is that its handy to do this in bits (due to spend) instead of one go - just lookign for the best value parts, and the order in which to do them of course (good point about the remap and catback @Lowe ) :) 

7 minutes ago, willclarke said:

I'd love to get a cat-back in first, but reading around it seems like most cat-backs will be too noisey with a decatted uel manifold too  - for daily use. There'll be a few early morning starts which i'm pretty sure will end up with a neighbours brick through the windscreen. the invidia q300 or something is apparently quiet, but others have left as stock (hence the OP) and its a good balance? What are your thoughts?

If the overpipe is close to the induction hose i imagine there'd be some heatsoak which would probably sap a few horses, something that could be sorted DIY'ey though I imagine. 

Already bought a K&N filter today :) - wonder if TD would take that off the price.

I guess bottom line is that its handy to do this in bits (due to spend) instead of one go - just lookign for the best value parts, and the order in which to do them of course (good point about the remap and catback @Lowe ) :) 

You can map out the cold start. Just get a resonated exhaust, it will be fine. They even do a 'super' resonated exhaust that will make it quieter still. I run the EL manifold, no cats and a TD resonated system. It's loud enough without being too loud. But it's all down to personal preference. As other's have said, do it all once and then it's the cost of one remap. 

The titanium wrap around the pipe off the manifold does keep it pretty cool. You won't get any heatsoak. I would say it's more because it's close to the coolant hose than anything else. 

Get cold start mapped out!! My UEL RCM manifold with one cat and Cobrasport resonated (known as being pretty loud) is actually quieter on start up now than it was with two cats and just the cat back. It’s also perfectly possible to drive it carefully without being ridiculously loud, but if you do plant it all hell breaks loose.

Few cheeky revs ;)

Get cold start mapped out!! My UEL RCM manifold with one cat and Cobrasport resonated (known as being pretty loud) is actually quieter on start up now than it was with two cats and just the cat back. It’s also perfectly possible to drive it carefully without being ridiculously loud, but if you do plant it all hell breaks loose.
Few cheeky revs
[/url]  

I’ve taken the speed stamp off, just incase . Would never speed on public roads in UK. Great sound though . Never have audio on, hubby also drives her

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk