Alex P

Alex P's Turbo GT86

Hi Everyone! 

I've been a member here (not been active at all...) and on GT86 owners club but after going to a few Japfests and Reading meets, I need to be more active! I started my build project on GT86 owners about 2 years ago which started with the standard mods for NA tune. the 86 was running the following: Tuning Developments EL manifold, JDL Ultra Quiet high flow cat, Ark Performance Grip, Apexi intake and Mishimoto intake hose with Abbey Motorsport remap. This got me to 187whp which I was happy with for a long time but I've always loved the idea of going boosted with this car. And now after 4 years of ownership it finally is! 

I think my car could possibly be the first in the UK to run the HKS turbo kit! The 86 is now producing 253whp which should be 300bhp at the fly and 205lbft at the wheels. My engine is completely standard and doesn't have any uprated injectors so Mark at Abbey Motorsport made sure the turbo came in as linear as possible for reliability. You do get a bit of turbo lag from below 3000rpm but when the turbo kicks in, the power delivery is incredible! It's so smooth and continues to pull strong all the way through to the redline. The noise of the turbo is brilliant, especially as you come of throttle and get a proper "choo choo" flutter. 

Mark, Scott and the team at Abbey did an incredible installation and mapping of the turbo which I can't thank them enough for! Only issue now is I need to clean up the other half of the engine bay...

Here are my mods so far:

• HKS Turbo Kit with Zircotec coated manifold
  • HKS Oil Cooler
  • ARK Performance Grip 
  • JDL Ultra Quiet high flow cat 
  • Tein Flex A Coilovers
  • Project MU brake pads (B Force-front & NS400-rear)
  • Team Dynamics Pro Race 3 17x7 
  • Valenti FT86 Speed Factory spec Tail Lights

I've attached just a few pictures but first time uploading with this website so bear with me if it's not right :)

Thanks for reading!

HKS Turbo.jpg

DSC_1050[4027].JPG

How does it run with the hks turbo,  very tempted with the hks kit, wanting to see how it runs and if there's any future issues. Will definetly be keeping an eye on this 

50 minutes ago, dom2497 said:

Looks a great bit of kit, would be interesting to see what it would make on a built engine

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You want to use their low compression pistons if you're thinking about higher output.. it will be the only safe way to do it.  

22 hours ago, Rob_86 said:

How does it run with the hks turbo,  very tempted with the hks kit, wanting to see how it runs and if there's any future issues. Will definetly be keeping an eye on this 

It drives beautifully! I use mine as a daily driver and the only thing I think is different is that you need to give it just a really tiny bit more to move from a standstill but that could be a placebo. It's really easy to drive and no problem in stop start traffic. Hitting boost with the turbo is very very addictive. You can instantly feel the extra power as soon as the turbo starts spooling up. 

10 hours ago, dom2497 said:

Looks a great bit of kit, would be interesting to see what it would make on a built engine

Like Lucas said, it will need pistons to push higher. I believe the HKS demo car is 450bhp at the fly!

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, dom2497 said:

Still loving the turbo life?

Absolutely loving it! The whole car is just on another level now. Plus I don't think I will ever get bored of all the noises the turbo makes! 

It sounds so addicting! Love it man. I've gone for the TD kit, getting fitted next month, so excited for boost! Would love to see more of this turbo kit though, sounds so good

Looks like a very good package installed by the Abbey wizards. Great car made a little bit more fun. Do you track the car? Just wondering how reliable it will be after 20mins of constant redline. Where does the oil line plumb into the block? 

Glad to finally see someone with this kit on. I'm wanting to get the HKS kit next year so been keeping a close eye out for anyone running it. To say you aint running uprated fuel kit i'd say 300 is pretty good going, HKS estimated 350 with uprated fuel and some other modifications so not too bad at all.

6 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Good to meet you at Brands yesterday Alex

Love the car and great to see a different setup :)

Thank you and great to meet you too Gavin! Really interesting to take a good look at other peoples cars and how different everyone's takes are on modifying theirs :)

Right ! It's almost been 12 months of boost and I'm still loving every second of it. 

Bits of feedback of the HKS turbo so far: 

• Noise is immense 
  • Power delivery is so smooth, boost comes in gradually and really takes off towards the top end of the rev range. The boost doesn't suddenly come in aggressively like a bigger or older turbo.
  • Turbo spools up very qickly
  • Mid corner boost can catch you off guard but the car doesn't kick out aggressively, still very easy to tell when you're about to pass that level of grip
  • Fuel economy for every day driving (not eco!) is roughly 26 - 28mpg and when you keep out of boost I was averaging 30mpg. It still gets 40+mpg on motorway though!
  • It's now absolutely rapid! 
  • Still very much a daily friendly car 

Since my last update, the only difference I've made has been a set of new wider wheels. The 17x7's with the turbo still held a lot of the handling characteristics of when the car was naturally aspirated. Like I mentioned above, the only real difference was that mid corner boost would break traction on the rear which would promote mid to corner exit oversteer. So I got myself a set of Rota Grid's because I can't afford a real set of TE37's yet haha. They are 17x9 and the grip levels have dramatically increased! The car from a standing start is much more planted now and has less tendency to break grip when shifting from 1st to 2nd. The mid corner boost doesn't break the traction as much as before, it can still slightly unsettle the rear if you're not paying attention. But overall the car feels sharper with the new wheels and looks much better that the skinny little bicycle wheels they come with from the factory! 

I will be taking the car on track for its first track day in August at Bedford at the How Fast event. It's not a full day of tracking which I actually think isn't a bad idea for me getting used to the car and turbo on track. The car will be going into Abbey to get a more track focused alignment now that I've finally got lower control arms. Absolutely excited to get back out on track since the last time was 2015! 

Here is the car in it's most current state :)

Finally, mega pleased for Toyota winning the 24! 

56418270_10157223660946528_7062800021481062400_o.jpg

Sounds great! So you have a catless manifold and an upgraded second cat? Where did you get the second cat from?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

On 6/17/2019 at 10:09 PM, BRZ-123 said:

Thanks for keeping us up to date and glad to see an alternate choice to the common one!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I like to be different! 😁 I will try to be a lot more active with the development of my car and the HKS turbo

On 6/24/2019 at 7:52 PM, mattt said:

Sounds great! So you have a catless manifold and an upgraded second cat? Where did you get the second cat from?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Correct! The 2nd cat I have is the JDL High Flow Ultra Quiet Cat which does a fantastic job keeping drone away. I got it from FT86 Speed factory