Captain Duff

Playing away

As I was rapidly coming up to 5 years of ownership and the end of the manufactures warranty I decided to have a look at what else is out there and to see whether for what I want the grass is any greener elsewhere.

So I looked at the possibility of an Alfa 4C. s/h prices are getting tempting due to what appears like a steep depreciation on low mileage cars that are only a year old , e.g., Alfa 4C - but despite the beautiful looks I decided against, first because I wasn't sure it would suit being a daily driver, second because the servicing costs are high because of needing to lift out the carbon shell each time with special equipment (allegedly), but mainly because I realised I would really struggle to fit my lardy backside in it.

So then I thought Cayman. I had an hour test driving a 718 with all the extras (2016 model, so the 4 pot turbo). Oddly, despite enjoying the extra poke I didn't enjoy the car very much at all. Partly because adjusting the seat with dozens of confusing electronic adjustment options was such a pain (as was just raising and extending the steering wheel), partly because the 20" wheels it had felt awful, harsh and noisy (but mainly no more sideways on wet roundabouts!), but mainly because I'd struggle to justify the cost (and the ongoing servicing rip off prices). Yes, the sports exhaust that was fitted gave a great burble, and the engine behind your head noise was lovely, but it just didn't feel right for me (when I test drove the 86 I knew within 10 seconds I was going to do anything I could to buy it). 

There were a few more cars I had considered like the Mustang, but for the tight parking spaces I often have to use it is just too big (the F-Type didn't grab me either for similar reasons).

So back to the 86. I did have the first drive of the new Blue Edition at RRG when I was ion for my service/MOT and liked it a lot (colour is better than in the pics I think, although it is a solid and not a metallic). There is a new smaller steering wheel that felt nice to use, and the uprated suspension was fantastic compared to my 2013 stock (Rich said it was firmer again than the already stiffer 2017 pro-edition) which meant that even on the unscrubbed primacy tyres it felt really planted around the cat and fiddle bends. So I did have a long hard think about a trade in on it (could have had it straight away, or with a new Sept registration, otherwise it is a 3-4 month order), but much as the handling improvement on my car was very obvious again I struggled to justify the big cost (not helped by the trade in value for a 5 y/o GT is now only £11,000, yes I would get more via private sale but would then need to overlap the purchase/sale to ensure I had a cr to use which would be difficult). 

So the end result of my exploration of the grass the other side of the fence was that I am sticking with the great car that I've got already, albeit with a £549 2 year extended warranty via RRG, which includes 2 MOT's and 2 years of AA cover so something of a bargain I think). I'm also finally going to get new suspension now I know how skittish my old OEM version is over less than perfect roads, I just hope my car will forgive my recent infidelities!

I like your thinking, I have previously considered it but as a daily driver you get too much to compromise with on a daily driver. I'd suggest putting some koni yellow adjustable shocks on with a different weight springs or stock ones for a better but highly practical setup.