VAD17

Schroth Rallye 3 ASM harness

I might end up doing that as I don't know if the harness will foul the seat belt or not (if a spacer won't fit either) but using that bolt seems a cleaner install as there's no bending or twisting of the harness.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything as it must be strong enough as the load from the seat belt will go through the bracket before the car itself. Your pics are the only ones available of the actual mounting points, other than a number of Germans who have used the top isofix point which isn't strong enough.

What do you guys do to stop the seat belt chime going off when using the harness and not the standard seat belt?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Guest EB2429

Things I worry about so can I ask?

Due to the harness rear locating point, In the event of an accident is the belt distributing load evenly through the shoulders?  Or is it skewed to one side slightly? 

If the harness secures you more in your seat than a normal lap belt,  in a front or side accident does your neck take more load? i.e. Hans would be required?

Also are you fitting half cages to prevent head injuries in the unlikely event of a roll over, or do you feel it doesn't matter due to air bags? I thought it was a general consensus to be a higher risk to fit harness without cage. In theory, with an inertia belt you will be deflected to one side in the event the roof caves in as you roll, with a harness your head will support the roof in-lieu of a roll cage?

BTW the belts look a great addition, but just some things that have concerned me (rightly or wrongly). 

10 minutes ago, EB2429 said:

Things I worry about so can I ask?

Due to the harness rear locating point, In the event of an accident is the belt distributing load evenly through the shoulders?  Or is it skewed to one side slightly? 

If the harness secures you more in your seat than a normal lap belt,  in a front or side accident does your neck take more load? i.e. Hans would be required?

Also are you fitting half cages to prevent head injuries in the unlikely event of a roll over, or do you feel it doesn't matter due to air bags? I thought it was a general consensus to be a higher risk to fit harness without cage. In theory, with an inertia belt you will be deflected to one side in the event the roof caves in as you roll, with a harness your head will support the roof in-lieu of a roll cage?

BTW the belts look a great addition, but just some things that have concerned me (rightly or wrongly). 

The belts are sided with an anti-submarining bit built in, so it would release and lengthen the shoulder strap on the left hand side to prevent it pulling you to one side. It's not designed to be used with HANS, well your seat isn't. It may or may not put your neck under more load. I shouldn't think it's any different than the effect of a regular seat belt though. 

The age old harness/roll cage debate. I just think it's rubbish really, but others seem to have a strong viewpoint on it. The likelihood of the roof caving in and it compressing your neck is a very small one probability wise. I.e., not significant. Your head, your decision at the end of the day. 

5 hours ago, sam534 said:

What do you guys do to stop the seat belt chime going off when using the harness and not the standard seat belt?

Nice, cheap and simple fix :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BNP45JH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14 hours ago, Mike said:

I might end up doing that as I don't know if the harness will foul the seat belt or not (if a spacer won't fit either) but using that bolt seems a cleaner install as there's no bending or twisting of the harness.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything as it must be strong enough as the load from the seat belt will go through the bracket before the car itself. Your pics are the only ones available of the actual mounting points, other than a number of Germans who have used the top isofix point which isn't strong enough.

I used the same mounting point as the one in @VAD17‘s pictures, but rather than fatigue the metal by bending it, I used the supplied longer bolt and spacer.  It’s very solid as a mounting point :)

hth

The cheapest way is just to disconnect the wiring connector going to the seat belt receiver! I used one of these plugs until I realised.
Is that under the drivers seat I'm guessing?

Same with passengers?

21 minutes ago, maurice said:

The cheapest way is just to disconnect the wiring connector going to the seat belt receiver! I used one of these plugs until I realised.

Which is a great solution if you never want it to work again :)

37 minutes ago, GraemeI said:

I used the same mounting point as the one in @VAD17‘s pictures, but rather than fatigue the metal by bending it, I used the supplied longer bolt and spacer.  It’s very solid as a mounting point :)

hth

Sounds like a solution to bending it then. Will make a decision when I do it. As long as the plastic trim isn't causing a bend in the strap, think it'll be bolting to the car. 

38 minutes ago, sam534 said:

Is that under the drivers seat I'm guessing?

Same with passengers?

It is under the seat yeah. I don't remember the passenger side being different.

It doesn't, i use blanks rather than disconnecting the seat bell warning sound, easy enough.

Note that while these belts (and stock seats) are not designed to be compatible with HANS, you can use Simpson Hybrid device, and it fits quite a lit better than standard 3 point belt. Hope to never find how good it is though...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, maurice said:

Eh? It's a wiring connector, depress the tab to release. Plug back to make it work again?!

Hahaha - of course - I have sleep deprivation and much body ache from 3 hour karting session, so I clearly only have one cylinder working!

Is it as easy to access as the seatbelt clip? :)

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm guessing the stock belt doesn't flap around too much if left loose then? 

I wondered exactly the same thing, but mine seems fine - don't do anything with it and haven't noticed it flapping about.  With my OCD about car noises, I usually notice anything that doesn't seem right :) 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I'm guessing the stock belt doesn't flap around too much if left loose then? 

Never noticed it when I'm using the harness. It's no different to the passenger side and you don't notice that flapping around when you don't have a passenger do you? 

Had a quick chat with @Lauren at the sprint and have decided to just use the bolt that the reel is connected to as that's what Lauren's done and if the rear reel is connected to it, it must be strong enough (seems pretty well bolted in to the car anyway!). Fit the rear piece last night and you can do it without taking any trim off really. Just lower the rear seat back, remove the 2 pop clips holding the boot liner in at the side and you can get access to the bolt with an extension. A normal socket set should be strong enough to get the nut off.