VAD17

Schroth Rallye 3 ASM harness

After reading others reviews and comments (thanks @Lauren, with a benefit of hindsight I should have read it more carefully first time around:)), I decided that installing harness for track days would be a good option. Now, I still need by rear seats fully usable and accessible (including toddler in a full child seat), so proper bucket seats, roll cage or even a permanent/ semi-permanent harness bar were not an option.

Why Schroth Rallye 3 ASM?

Schroth Rallye 3 ASM seem like the only widely available and commented option for stock seats which doesn't need at least a dedicated harness bar. From what I understood its basically an improved versions of 3 points belt construction but due to 4 points and individual belts adjustments (think CG lock ) it holds body snug while anti-submarining mechanism prevents you going under the belt (an issue with typical 4 point harness).

The rear part of the harness can be quickly disconnected (via clip mechanism) and harness can be stowed behind/ under the front seats making 4 seats fully usable in a matter of seconds.

Link to Schroth website below with more useful details.

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/rallye-belts#1576

Attachment points

Note that there are separate left and right versions of the belt, different for driver and passenger side. Note that black plastic thing needs to be on the INSIDE strap.

The left and right attachment points connect to the front seat belt brackets (admittedly Mike  attached them for me, so below is the finished photo).

Installation instruction suggests rear attachment point can be either on C-pillar (whete safety belt reel attached) or D-point (where seat belt or isofix bracket attached to the seat frame). However, the angle of the tail strap should not be more than 45% from the line parallel to the ground, but even with seats forward it was more than that, so C-pillar attachment point is the only viable option for correct angle of the trail strap.

Tail strap Installation

Step 1: Remove rear quarter trim

a) Start with rear airbag area trim removal

Use flat head screwdriver or trim removal tool, put it under the trim right where airbag sign is. It has 5 clips and should come off relatively easy. There are 3 yellow string clips which you can leave this piece to hang on (I started by removing it but then realized its enough space even if you leave it just hanging loose).

b. Unclip rear side quarter trim

2 flimsy black clips (easy to loose, get few extra on ebay, 3 quid for 20), then carefully pull towards you to un-clip the top. That should give you enough space just to pull the trim slightly towards you.

c) Unscrew and remove triangular trim piece near the window.

Use normal screwdriver to remove the bolt holding the trim piece, then pull towards the front of the car at slight angle to unclip the white clip (careful not to loose it), should come off pretty easily.

All these are very straightforward, takes no more than 10 mins each side.

Step 2: unscrew the bolt holding rear safety belt reel

Here you would need breaker bar and socket extender if you want this step to be simple. (I struggled with normal short socket spanner for long time, ended up going and buying breaker bar - well needed it anyway). Socket extender makes a difference as you can stay clear of hanging trim piece.

Step 3: install harness ring attachment

You can do it either on top of the reel attachment or under it (although I decided against this option as it was rubbing against the metal end of the reel). Be careful not to lose metal spacer - I ended up using tape to hold 2nd one piece of cloth to prevent it dropping down the frame.

Either original bolt or the bolt provided with the harness can be used here. As you can see they are similar although original bold is easier to tighten up, so I ended up re-using it.

It is necessary to bend the ring attachment slightly. If you can bend to match the shape of the safety belt attachment the belt would fit nicely into the same slot as the safety belt (I notices that the double strap on my harness is shorter than on Lauren’s making these few extra mms quite important).

I managed to do it on the passenger side but did not want to bend the ring back and force more than couple times so on the driver side its slightly off meaning the thick part strap starts where the belt comes out from the under the trim (I see Lauren removed the plastic piece for both belts to sit together, may do the same).

Step 4: put the trim back

In reverse order:

A)     Triangular piece – be careful not to lose write plastic clip (I manage to lose one), although with screw tightened it seem to be fine.

B)      Rear quarter trim – the top clip is very shallow and comes off quite easily because the extra width of the 2 belts put pressure on the trim. With the rear seats closed you don’t really notice it, but as mentioned above may be removing top plastic piece would be a better option

C)      Airbag trim cover – this one comes back in easily and nicely as it as multiple longer clips

Will test the harness next week at Castle Combe and update.

20180812_130908.jpg

20180811_113618.jpg

20180811_113631.jpg

20180811_114144.jpg

20180812_111736.jpg

20180812_123523.jpg

20180812_130446.jpg

20180812_130808.jpg

Schroth2.jpg

Schroth1.jpg

thats where I fitted mine too, came off with a large ratchet.
Thanks for the comment, you mean the 1st photo?

Tried to use wb40 to loosen it, still no luck. Its royal pita. Am I just unlucky with the bolt. Spent over an hour

May be will take trim from the 2nd pillar and see if its any better.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Right, same problem with 2nd side, no movement at all...

Need smth with longer lever, will go to Halfords tomorrow to get longet socket spanner.

If that doesn't work, will need to find garage to get it done.

Noticed trim clip missing, will order on Amazon

Also, generally trim is pretty flimsy, and I hope it will get back in place ok

This turned out to be more kerfuffle than expected

I remember it being tight but not a massive pain in the arse. Also get some seatbelt blanks or the seat belt will beep cos its not done up. Great mod will be worth the effort!

I fitted Debs for her today, bit tight but got it sorted with a few growls 
You must be much stronger than me then, lol .

I can get a longer spanner tomorrow, let's see if that helps...

I can't work out what was particularly difficult about this bit. It was fiddly, but I just undid the nut that holds the rear seat belt reel in place, lowered it and put the harness mount over the top of it. Pretty sure I just used a ratchet with a long extension to do all the work. That there was two of us probably helped a bit. 

Get a 3/8 breaker bar from Halfords if you don't already have one. Mine comes in handy often. Compact enough to get into tighter spots but still a lot of extra leverage.
Thanks, exactly what was needed .

All done now, thanks all for suggestions, will write longer post, may be of some help to others a9df7ac95263a39884ce701eb3fe26b2.jpg

Edited my first entry.

I must say its a lot more comfortable in corners, definitely a big improvement on standard 3-point belt.

Need to test it on track now...

3 hours ago, VAD17 said:

Edited my first entry.

I must say its a lot more comfortable in corners, definitely a big improvement on standard 3-point belt.

Need to test it on track now...

I've never tried mine on the road, but it made a huge difference on track and most importantly took the strain of having to use my back to stay in the seat. I think you'll like it. 

After a couple of recommendations this weekend, I am having a look at this, but can't work out which one to get - there are left and right models, and if I was buying both, it wouldn't matter which was which ;)  

I would normally have gone Right (10510), but confusingly it says the right one is the Passenger side on a UK site.  That could of course mean passenger side for a German, but it's not clear, so could someone point me to the right part number?  10510 for right and 10010 for left...?

Thank you :) 

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'll let you know Friday, I ordered the 10510 Right last night :D 

Hahaha - snap!  I won't be able to fit until the next week probably, but I will be able to look at it :P