Julesbeav

Rear brake pads fell out......?

Hello all,

I was driving along briskly and applied the brakes quite firmly then there was a bang from the nearside rear and the brake pedal went to the floor. I re-applied the brakes and got a lot of ABS Judder and managed to bring the car to a stop.  The nearside rear outer brake pad had fallen out. I found a pad in the road and there is still a good 6 mm of material left on it.  The disks are not that old.  Has this happened to anybody else and does anyone have any idea how it’s done it?

cheers, 

Julesbeav

434BAC07-0C32-4864-AF62-C9BCAFAC1B66.jpeg

B63A99F8-9942-45B1-9DA1-A5144A07DF0D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Julesbeav said:

Hello all,

I was driving along briskly and applied the brakes quite firmly then there was a bang from the nearside rear and the brake pedal went to the floor. I re-applied the brakes and got a lot of ABS Judder and managed to bring the car to a stop.  The nearside rear outer brake pad had fallen out. I found a pad in the road and there is still a good 6 mm of material left on it.  The disks are not that old.  Has this happened to anybody else and does anyone have any idea how it’s done it?

cheers, 

Julesbeav

434BAC07-0C32-4864-AF62-C9BCAFAC1B66.jpeg

B63A99F8-9942-45B1-9DA1-A5144A07DF0D.jpeg

I have known pads to come out of calipers but only when they are totally worn out which these are not do you know history of car ?

Full Toyota service history but I bought it from the car shop.com and it had new disks and pads all round.

I’m guessing the rear disks must be wrong and they’re too thin.

2 minutes ago, Julesbeav said:

Full Toyota service history but I bought it from the car shop.com and it had new disks and pads all round.

2 minutes ago, Julesbeav said:

Get it took back there they can't have assembled it properly

Well done for getting the car stopped safely! That's a terrible oversight by somebody, and litigation-worthy. Examine everything that is in the wheel arch closely. The pad zinging out may have scratched or dented the wheel or some other component, and you want a full list of issues before you bill the seller.

The pad holder looks out of position considering the carrier and shims next to it.

31 minutes ago, Riceburner said:

Poverty spec rear discs ??

Non vented and too thin ??

That's the only way I can see that it can happen, if the caliper isn't loose. Disc so tin that when applying the brakes, the caliper pushes the pad all the way through the carrier and it just slides out with the disc. Bizarre!

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

Whichever clown shop fitted them clearly went for the cheapest option without checking it was actually correct.

I think "fitted" is the wrong word. I would imagine they just placed it. 

Or maybe it was fitted correctly and someone has a hit on you and loosened it? You're not wanted by the mafia or anything are you? :ph34r:

On a serious note, glad you're ok. 

23 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

That's a terrible oversight by somebody, and litigation-worthy. Examine everything that is in the wheel arch closely. The pad zinging out may have scratched or dented the wheel or some other component, and you want a full list of issues before you bill the seller.

This now needs to be raised, as that could have been an incredibly dangerous/fatal mistake to make. It's not acceptable and it needs to be flagged so they don't potentially do it again!

3 hours ago, shiftspark said:

It’s hard to tell from pictures whether they are vented but they do look quite old ?

He said:

On 10/08/2018 at 3:12 PM, Julesbeav said:

Seems to be solid discs with calipers for vented one

I reckon you can just about make that out from the photo.

Whilst I kind of agree that owners should check over the car, I would say that on a car purchased from a dealer of some sort (who should be doing checks themselves remember) that you wouldn't be expected to check whether the right type of disc was fitted. They are not that visually different and I wouldn't expect anyone but an expert to pick that up. For example, how many long term owners here even suggested that it was a possible cause ;) Fluids, tread depth, pressures etc can be checked by anyone but I bet no-one here who's bought a 2nd hand car thought to check which type of rear brake discs were fitted, namely because they were only sold here in the single spec I'd imagine.