Smilesapart

Advice for a Newbie?

Hi Everyone. I've just joined and last Monday became a very excited owner of a silver 2013 GT86. I am completely blown away with how much I love this car already, however although the car already has the display system in the car with the Sat Nav button on the bottom right hand side, when you press it, it says Sat Nav is not connected. 

Is there a CD or something you can buy to down load Sat Nav? Is it expensive? Is it easy to do? Can you get a very recent up to date version? Or is this something you have to get from a Toyota dealer and pay a fortune for?

Any people meet in the Suffolk Norfolk area?

Can anyone suggest any tweaks or visual/mechanical upgrades for the car that are worth saving up for?

Although the car has only cover 49k miles, I've just been told the shocking cost of the next full 60,000 service that it is now due. £595!!! And I'm not even sure if that includes VAT so I shan't be able to buy anything else just yet but keen to know what you all recommend I look at getting for it.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Jay

HI Jay

Welcome to the club, yes the 60k service is expensive but that's because Toyota want to drop the engine to change the spark plugs.

I'm not sure how far Fensport are from you but if your thinking of some upgrades I would look at the exhaust & air filter then get the car remapped at the same time.

Fensport might also charge less for the 60k service.

A few members are going to Helmingham hall festival of classic and sports cars tomorrow if you wanted to pop along & have a chat/see what mods they have.

Ian.

You have Toyota Touch I unit. For "sat nav" button to do something, you have to buy optional & Go or & Go+ satnav module to it. It's very expensive, map updates are expensive too, clunky interface .. in short, advising not to get one. Map updates to it happens by purchasing online update, then installing them onto Go module (which you probably don't have) via usb key (well, more steps, but i advise not to get touch & go in general). Best satnav options - good smartphone mount & navigation apps on phone, both free & paid ones.

1 hour ago, Church said:

You have Toyota Touch I unit. For "sat nav" button to do something, you have to buy optional & Go or & Go+ satnav module to it. It's very expensive, map updates are expensive too, clunky interface .. in short, advising not to get one. Map updates to it happens by purchasing online update, then installing them onto Go module (which you probably don't have) via usb key (well, more steps, but i advise not to get touch & go in general). Best satnav options - good smartphone mount & navigation apps on phone, both free & paid ones.

OK thanks for that. I think I'll probably do without then. I have a perfectly good Garmin sat nav I can just use that.

2 hours ago, GT86-Ian said:

A few members are going to Helmingham hall festival of classic and sports cars tomorrow if you wanted to pop along & have a chat/see what mods they have.

Thanks Ian

I was hoping to go to the show so fingers crossed we manage to get there as long as the other half doesn't back out. We were supposed to be going to the Festival of Wheels today in Ipswich until at breakfast time there was a change of heart!

Hi Jay and welcome,

My car has the Toyota satnav. I used it originally when I got the car, but ultimately I found it passable at best. I travel all-over in the 86 to random places and I use Waze on my iPhone in a Brodit 86 mount.

G.

GravelRash: passable .. but then if one inquires it's 500-800eur cost for kit, then 120eur for map update .. to heck with it, i'd say :). Unless by some miracle someone can get it for 50eur or less (but probably even used may cost eg. 150gbp), i'd say, unwise purchase by factor of ten.

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 12:58 PM, Smilesapart said:

Hi Everyone. I've just joined and last Monday became a very excited owner of a silver 2013 GT86. I am completely blown away with how much I love this car already, however although the car already has the display system in the car with the Sat Nav button on the bottom right hand side, when you press it, it says Sat Nav is not connected. 

Is there a CD or something you can buy to down load Sat Nav? Is it expensive? Is it easy to do? Can you get a very recent up to date version? Or is this something you have to get from a Toyota dealer and pay a fortune for?

Any people meet in the Suffolk Norfolk area?

Can anyone suggest any tweaks or visual/mechanical upgrades for the car that are worth saving up for?

Although the car has only cover 49k miles, I've just been told the shocking cost of the next full 60,000 service that it is now due. £595!!! And I'm not even sure if that includes VAT so I shan't be able to buy anything else just yet but keen to know what you all recommend I look at getting for it.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Jay

Toyota did me an awesome service plan which included the 50,000 mile and 60,000 mile service for £400!! and I've been paying monthly. Worth checking to see if your Toyota offer a similar service plan for your next two.