If it came with an oil cooler aswell they could have marketed it as a track edition or something similar now it just seems like another special edition without the one thing people want which is abit more power from the standard car. If this had 250bhp it would sell alot better.

48 minutes ago, Lauren said:

This is for the US market, not here. @alucardo, Toyota will never increase the power. There simply is no need with so much aftermarket stuff available.

Ah ok I did not read close enough.

6 hours ago, alucardo said:

If it came with an oil cooler aswell they could have marketed it as a track edition or something similar now it just seems like another special edition without the one thing people want which is abit more power from the standard car. If this had 250bhp it would sell alot better.

I'm always a bit sceptical about statements like that.  The Nissan 350Z has plenty more power, but has never sold in anything like the numbers that the GT86 has achieved.  There's a bit of discussion on that Jalopnik article (as there frequently is on Pistonheads) about what the enthusiast says they want, and what people actually buy.  A bunch of keyboard warriors saying "it needs more power" doesn't mean they'd actually buy it if it had more power.  The price would go up and people would compare it to the Type R, Focus RS, and Golf R, instead of comparing it to a Fiesta ST.  And they would probably say it was underpowered because it didn't have 300bhp.

6 minutes ago, spikyone said:

I'm always a bit sceptical about statements like that.  The Nissan 350Z has plenty more power, but has never sold in anything like the numbers that the GT86 has achieved.  There's a bit of discussion on that Jalopnik article (as there frequently is on Pistonheads) about what the enthusiast says they want, and what people actually buy.  A bunch of keyboard warriors saying "it needs more power" doesn't mean they'd actually buy it if it had more power.  The price would go up and people would compare it to the Type R, Focus RS, and Golf R, instead of comparing it to a Fiesta ST.  And they would probably say it was underpowered because it didn't have 300bhp.

350z is more of a GT car and very heavy. The car is fine as is but I was more commenting on the limited edition models it would be nice if they had an 'S' version which was geared up more abit like the Megane rsr.

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

This is for the US market, not here. @alucardo, Toyota will never increase the power. There simply is no need with so much aftermarket stuff available.

I understand what you are saying about the aftermarket stuff but Toyota don't make any extra profit out of those sales. I would have thought an upgraded performance version would mean Toyota could benefit from the extra spend which people are happy to hand over to independents.

Perhaps emission regulations, type approval etc don't make it viable.

The problem is a factory supercharged/turbocharged engine would need to be developed/registered/tested globally on emissions/taxation/fuel consumption and with the cost of going through all this they would need to sell a fair old number to break even. Assuming people would pay around £35k for it.

They should do factory approved power packs that can be dealer added. Like Proline for Subaru, BBR for Mazda and Mountune for Ford.

How much more is this TRD compared to the original. I know it's America only, but with BBK and better tyres and suspension it might be worth it... Well for Americans anyway. Plus the rarity of it. 

1 hour ago, alucardo said:

350z is more of a GT car and very heavy. The car is fine as is but I was more commenting on the limited edition models it would be nice if they had an 'S' version which was geared up more abit like the Megane rsr.

It's nowhere near as heavy as its reputation suggests; the lightest 350Z/370Z are around 1500kg.  The Mustang is heavier, as is a 911, and no-one has ever said a 911 was very heavy.  It's similar enough to a GT86 (Japanese RWD coupe at a comparable price) to disprove the notion that more power would increase '86 sales, particularly to the general car-buying public - going back to my point on "what a few nerds on internet forums want vs. what most people actually buy".

35 minutes ago, Gray said:

I understand what you are saying about the aftermarket stuff but Toyota don't make any extra profit out of those sales. I would have thought an upgraded performance version would mean Toyota could benefit from the extra spend which people are happy to hand over to independents.

Perhaps emission regulations, type approval etc don't make it viable.

Exactly - emissions regs and approval costs are prohibitive.  You can't get any more from the FA20 and still meet Euro 6, so more power is going to need a turbo or a different engine.  And there simply isn't enough demand for Toyota to 1) develop that car, and 2) homologate it for the European market.  Had they done it from the outset, it might have been different.  From a business case perspective, a performance version would also cannibalise sales from the current car, so it's not as easy as "put in a bigger engine, sell a load more cars".

On a side note about new "86, I have tried to get a test drive booked locally (Manchester) and non of the RRG group even have a demonstrator and one has an automatic arriving next week although I am sure they said that last time I rang them.

The dealers need to push the model to sell them but most don't even know what they are as today they referred it to a GT96 !

I have however booked in to RRG Macc to test drive @Riceburner car.

34 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

On a side note about new "86, I have tried to get a test drive booked locally (Manchester) and non of the RRG group even have a demonstrator and one has an automatic arriving next week although I am sure they said that last time I rang them.

The dealers need to push the model to sell them but most don't even know what they are as today they referred it to a GT96 !

I have however booked in to RRG Macc to test drive @Riceburner car.

That doesn’t surprise me 🙄

Look forward to a blast up the cat and fiddle on Thursday then👍

15 hours ago, Cerastes said:

How much more is this TRD compared to the original. I know it's America only, but with BBK and better tyres and suspension it might be worth it... Well for Americans anyway. Plus the rarity of it. 

TRD special edition is priced at $32420 so approx £24650. Cheapest base model 86 in the states is $26455 (£20100), however those prices don't include state sales taxes which I think vary according to where car is registered

14 hours ago, shiftspark said:

I have tried to get a test drive booked locally (Manchester) and non of the RRG group even have a demonstrator

I bought mine as the demonstrator for the Plymouth Subaru dealership, so clearly they had no intention of replacing it.