alucardo

Next Car/GT86 Differences

I've owned quite a lot of great cars over the years and recently left a job where I was delivering Jaguar/Land Rover cars, Audi/VW Group Cars, Volvo cars and Nissan Cars. During that time I drove the Range Rover SVR, Audi R8, Jaguar F Type, Audi RS6, Audi S5 and Nissan GT-R.

All great cars but all well out of my price range. I love the Porsche Cayman but its too impractical for me. I like the first generation BMW Z4 Coupe but they are getting a bit too old.

Even after driving all these amazing cars, my GT86 has completely blown me away for fun, character and igniting the senses. My next car will be another newer GT86/BRZ! For definite.

Having taken my GT86 off the road to put back to stock, I found myself looking for a cheap runabout. Ended up with a 2004 e46 325ti - yes, the ugliest BMW ever made. 190bhp, RWD, manual gearbox, £1200.

It's amazingly fun. The GT86 was my first RWD car and I loved it, but it wouldn't see which way the BMW went on a bumpy country lane (of which we have many around here) due to much more compliant suspension, more accessible performance throughout the gears, and increased traction. This might be down to the clever electronics, which also are hugely better than the Toyota - the way the DSC keeps you going fast, rather than slowing your progress down makes thrashing it around endless fun.

But obviously we're talking about cars that cost more then £2k here - I can't speak for newer BMW's, but as mentioned above the e92 M3 felt boring below 7k revs. My money will likely go on a Cayman S, although I too am tempted by the Evora!

Cant go back from RWD regardless!

VSC supposedly is much improved in MY2017 twins. Allowing higher slip angle prior engaging, and intervening in less abrupt manner then in older zenki twins.

In my eyes those old bmws have also another pro vs twins, if drifting is considered - wider max steering angle. When driving on ice tracks i found smaller steering angle (probably due wide boxer engine) during countersteer when drifting limiting sometimes.

Shame the M2 is so heavy. I looked at the new comp pack but at 1600kg it will destroy brakes and tyres all to frequently.
Having followed a few they do go very well on track however if you accept the consumables.

7 minutes ago, alucardo said:

Shame the M2 is so heavy. I looked at the new comp pack but at 1600kg it will destroy brakes and tyres all to frequently.
Having followed a few they do go very well on track however if you accept the consumables.

Yeah it's a fair old lump, disguises it's mass well though. Brakes should last for a while if you get decent pads, I'm quite heavy on them and I've got 90% or so left in my PFC 08 pads and discs after 2 track days. However they eat front tyres on track if you don't have Camber plates! Fuel wise I get the same MPG on Motorway/A Roads than I did in the BRZ.

I'm not planning to keep tracking it though. S3 Exige for track duties is where my thoughts are going, then I can retire the M2 back to daily duties. 

Have you driven a GTR? I found the one I used on an experience day boring after 4 laps. It is seriously quick and flatters you as a driver but honestly I felt numb to the car when I got out. I do admit however that a GTR is something to be owned at some point having had a GTR33 previously.

I don't want to pay what gtr costs, or how much it costs to insure, and fill 30lr per 100km, and probably not go to track anymore both because of no spare money left to spend on track and that i wouldn't be able to afford totaling it so no pushing/risking for fun anymore. So as result only thing i'd gain straight line acceleration during very short time periods (as speed will quickly reach license loosing numbers) and long list of cons.

.. unlike with GT86. :)

1 hour ago, alucardo said:

Have you driven a GTR? I found the one I used on an experience day boring after 4 laps. It is seriously quick and flatters you as a driver but honestly I felt numb to the car when I got out. I do admit however that a GTR is something to be owned at some point having had a GTR33 previously.

Not yet but I promised myself I would have one (Skyline GTR) ever since I played Gran Turismo 1 on Playstation :D. When I get closer to the time I will take one out for a test drive, maybe I will have a change of heart. Were you driving it alongside anything else on the experience day? I imagine most cars will feel a bit of a come down if you've just got out of a V12 lambo or something else exotic.

1 hour ago, Church said:

I don't want to pay what gtr costs, or how much it costs to insure, and fill 30lr per 100km, and probably not go to track anymore both because of no spare money left to spend on track and that i wouldn't be able to afford totaling it so no pushing/risking for fun anymore. So as result only thing i'd gain straight line acceleration during very short time periods (as speed will quickly reach license loosing numbers) and long list of cons.

.. unlike with GT86. :)

I will probably keep the GT86 as well so I can still have fun with that in those scenarios. It's looking like the stars might align this year to make the money side of it less of an issue for a few years at least. As above I will give one a test drive closer to the time and see how I feel :)

New MKV Supra or LC500 for me next.

Most likely the Lexus as the new Supra has so far been quite German and underwhelming.

Used LC500’s have already shed £20k off the New price.

Anyone considered an Exige S/Sport 350? Test driven a few as looking to grab one for a track car. Certainly more hard core than the 86, so may be an acquired taste for some :lol:

12 hours ago, TTR said:

Anyone considered an Exige S/Sport 350? Test driven a few as looking to grab one for a track car. Certainly more hard core than the 86, so may be an acquired taste for some :lol:

Not a fan tbh having been on track in a few. The electronics takeaway most of the driving experience and turning them off means an unwieldy beast. The previous gen exige is where my money would go having driven a few they are much more engaging.

Guest 86guns

I’ve had an Evora, Elise and Europa S. I got totally fed up of problems with them. The dealer network is terrible and the plethora of secondary “experts” proved disappointing. I find the GT86 as fun to drive as any of the Lotus’ and much more reliable. I’ve never had a Porsche so that’s the direction I’d go toward if I was changing. 

@Leeky the LC is very much a GT and not a sports car, that's coming from a couple of people I know that have driven them. Still fun and a V8 and I do like the marmite looks but if going the Lexus route I'd be half inclined to go for an RC F over the LC.

On 9/5/2018 at 8:23 PM, TTR said:

I've been tempted by these recently. Elise Cup looks good. What are these like on the road compared to the 86?

Guest 86guns
10 hours ago, maurice said:

I've been tempted by these recently. Elise Cup looks good. What are these like on the road compared to the 86?

The Elise is a hoot on back roads, not so much fun on longer drives. They also break easily.

Guest 86guns
On 07/09/2018 at 8:49 PM, maurice said:

What happened to yours?

Numerous issues mainly to with trim fitting, washer systems, boot releases, hood fitments, door locking, fuel pumps etc. The basic engine (Toyota) and body is fine, it's just that Lotus use a plethora of parts from other manufacturers and then spend time cobbling them all together. The Lotus dealers don't keep stock, so for instance if you want a washer motor (a Ford part), it takes them 6 weeks to get one and then they change you £60 for a bit you could have got yourself for £20. However if the car is in warranty, they have do it. The door mirrors are still from the old Metro and the indicators are old Vauxhall Astra. You have to accept as a Lotus owner you're part of their development programme. After a few years it just gets tiresome.   

10 hours ago, 86guns said:

Numerous issues mainly to with trim fitting, washer systems, boot releases, hood fitments, door locking, fuel pumps etc. The basic engine (Toyota) and body is fine, it's just that Lotus use a plethora of parts from other manufacturers and then spend time cobbling them all together. The Lotus dealers don't keep stock, so for instance if you want a washer motor (a Ford part), it takes them 6 weeks to get one and then they change you £60 for a bit you could have got yourself for £20. However if the car is in warranty, they have do it. The door mirrors are still from the old Metro and the indicators are old Vauxhall Astra. You have to accept as a Lotus owner you're part of their development programme. After a few years it just gets tiresome.   

Fair enough, good insight. Sounds like you stuck it out for a fair while.