alucardo

Next Car/GT86 Differences

Like I imagine lots of us we look through car sites and look at our next possible car after the GT86.
So for those that have moved on and still lurk around here what car did you goto? What has improved and what has not?

For those that still have a GT86 and have been window shopping what has caught your eye within your budget?

For me I have been looking at :

987.2 S 981 S Caymans mainly

I have not moved on as of yet as the GT86 is such a cheap fun car to run and moving to anything else is going to have to be special.

I've been window shopping lately and have found it difficult to find something as fun and cheap to run within a similar budget

The likes of the 235i/135i have started to peak my interest but the 2, for me, is still just out of budget and I'm not a fan on the 1er's looks.

I've also been looking at some of the four wheel drive, high power, automatic hot hatches like the A45 as they're starting to drop in price and offer something completely different to the 86 but I'm afraid they would have no character.

Id agree on the 1 series, very capable drive train and engine but steering feel is awful and yeah not a good looking car. Steering feel is a big thing for me and its basically the same in the 2 series although the car looks much better than the 1 series. Having now gone RWD I cannot see myself in a hot hatch or AWD. The GT86 has ruined alot of cars for me through its sheer driving experience. Though the A45 does seem like a capable car having read the reviews.

A friend had an A45 and reckoned it was the worst car he's ever owned. He got rid pretty quickly. 

A 2019 mx5 with the increased power is tempting me along with an Alfa Giulia. I'd also take a Cayman but don't want to spend the cash required. 

If I did not need back seats, 2nd hand Cayman... no brainer

But that's because I dont want a fwd hot hatch.

Although M2 (or M1) is a decent option imo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Having had four BMWs, if you like the handling of the 86 then avoid. They're all too heavy.

My remapped 335d twin turbo was a rocket ship, but only in a straight line.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

I'd always think of cross-shopping with mx5 .. but unfortunately i'm sure that future miatas will have same flaw as all up to now. I won't fit in them :(

BMWs .. probably one at least as good on track as twins are and of similar age, will cost more then i'd be willing to pay. Same for Cayman or Vette. Or upcoming Supra. Or that cheap jag.

370Z .. if they had changed design back to that of 350Z .. but they never will, so i'll never consider something, looks of which disgust me, no matter performance.

From what is available now .. well actually only twins do fit my subjective bill. So same, but never? Unless some other manufacturer remakes another iconic car. Honda S2020, anyone? :)

I bought an M235i after deciding the difference between it and the M2 wasn't worth the £18k premium I'd have had to pay.

It was initially a step down in cornering ability, and not a massive step up in power (my GT86 was turbocharged), but in almost every other area it was a huge improvement.

After a year of ownership I've improved the handling with a set of Bilstein coilovers, wider and lighter wheels with Pilot Sport 4S's and recently a mechanical LSD. It's still heavier than the GT86, but I'll be driving away from one on any road now.

I've also added some performance mods, taking the car to 420hp and 450lb/ft of torque, so in terms of power, even compared to the turbo'd guise of my 86, it's in a different league.

For me, it was an obvious choice due to a change in lifestyle, and I 100% do not regret it. I've grown accustomed to the comfy ride, auto gearbox, effortless power and techy interior, it's changed my views on cars in some ways.

I've put a deposit down on the Alpine A110 Premiere as next years' replacement, but after seeing the specs of the new Supra, I'm almost certain I'll be getting my deposit back for the A110 and using the money on the Supra when it comes out next year. Wishful thinking, but the idea of a more grown up, GT86-like sporty feel, coupled with an updated version of the engine in my current car sounds like a perfect compromise.

I was disappointed with the Supra. I was expecting something more. It does not seem exciting at this point. Hopefully reviews prove me wrong, 1500kg is a heavy car.

Loads of cars I have considered. Some are way out of price range but might be in your price range. I'm hoping Santa will deliver one of them one Christmas. 

MX5's, particularly the RF version simply because the soft top MX5's would take so much looking after.  

Abarth 124 spider

S2000 - I am hoping for an update for Honda's 70th birthday, but I can't see that. 

New supra

Jaguar F Type

Lexus RC/RCF

BMW M2 - but I don't trust BMW reliability and same for

Alfa Gulia Quadrifolgio. But I'm waiting on the Gulia Coupe ;)

Porsches

Audi R8 - if I remember correctly these were £100k+ new. But instead of an M2, spend few 1000's more and you can get one of these. But would spend a fortune on petrol though. 

Sorry went a bit mad, got all excited by cars and dreaming of what I would want. But you might be an investment banker and might be able to stretch to one of those. :rolleyes: 

33 minutes ago, alucardo said:

Audi R8 has some pricey issues. Aircon unit if it fails requires the engine removing to correct it.

Only on v8, so just get the proper engined one...:)

9 hours ago, scoobyc said:

Only on v8, so just get the proper engined one...:)

If only. Sadly abit out of my price range. Im currently lustig after the Evora 400 range they look awesome.

However this all goes to show what a good car the GT86 is in that we struggle to find a car to change to. Im looking at an M2 Sat to test drive but I have a feeling it may not be good enough for me to part with my hard earned or part with the GT86.

Before getting the '86, I fancied the e92 M3 with sweet V8. Test drive was a let-down. It was an express train to a driving ban and didn't have poise or eagerness of a lighter car. The salesman thought I should be looking at 235s or the M2, but there were out of my budget at the time. I'd be pleased to read your opinions.

There's a chap round here who dailies his Evora. It looks mighty fine amongst a sea of SUVs and German saloons.

1 minute ago, nerdstrike said:

Before getting the '86, I fancied the e92 M3 with sweet V8. Test drive was a let-down. It was an express train to a driving ban and didn't have poise or eagerness of a lighter car.

Exactly what I've been saying.  I've got BMWs out of my system now and far prefer the BRZ as a driver's car.

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

Exactly what I've been saying.  I've got BMWs out of my system now and far prefer the BRZ as a driver's car.

I had a go in a 140 and that was enough to put me off most BMW's as the steering feel and overall feel of the car feedback wise was not great. The M2 is meant to be more to my liking so I will see.

I did look at the e92 but the kerb weight put me off. Anything over 1500kg is usually off limits.

13 hours ago, alucardo said:

The Evora S v6 345bhp look good has anyone driven one?

Sadly not, but if I didn't need some occasional practicality that's where my money would go; ideally in Sports Racer spec.  Supercar looks, Lotus handling, Toyota engine with a supercharger.  Perfection.  :wub:

21881573666_b4419fd890_b.jpg

It will be a V6 F Type for me. No rush though I enjoy cheap motoring with the 86 for now and it is definitely alot of fun even after 3 years of ownership. It has it's flaws but it really is a good car.

21 minutes ago, Peter said:

Due to my age the BRZ will probably be my final car unless I win Euro millions then it will be a Bristol Fighter

Aston DB9 for me!