OnlyNothing

Insurance Advice

Hi All, 

I've been wanting one a 86 for 3 years now, but as always, insurance is blocking me. I found a absolute dream on the market and really want to get insured on it. I can pay for the car now, but not willing to pay the amount of money towards insurance. 

I just wanted some advice and to see if anyone has any advice on getting insurance to be cheaper. Currently being quoted around 5K with 2 named drivers for insurance...

I'm 18 ( 19 in a month ), full time employed working in the IT sector, I have 1 year NCD and got my license in Febuary 2017. I do however, have one crash caused by both parties with damange at 300 pounds but no claims were made. 

I tried calling Adrian Flux and Admiral but they will not take me. 

Does anyone have any advice? 

Thanks, 

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

Honestly? I think you'll have to give it another year.

Have you tried taking the named drivers off?

Have done but it adds 1K to the quote.

21 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

There has to be away round this?

I would recommend trying pace ward they are very good. I much prefer them to Adrian flux.

Sweet thank you, I will give them a go and see what they say. 

Limit is at 2.5K so it's not too low! :)

Generally too young im afraid.

Statistically quite a few 86's get written off so for insurance companies they're a bit of a hot car I imagine. Pair that with being a 2 litre engine, rear wheel drive, etc you're asking for trouble with insurance.

The only advise I can give is keeping named drivers on, it always helps and it helps further if all named drivers have full time jobs compared to being unemployed or part timers. Having car parked on driveway is the best option too, compared to Garage or Street, setting a low mile limit if you're not using the car for commuting helps too and with that crash I wouldn't even mention it, they often ask you "Have you made any claims in the last 3 years" and if you're 110% confident that no claims were made by either party then you can truthfully say no to that.

Admiral is always best for younger drivers, Adrian flux are a complete joke and not even worth the time it takes to call them.

Could be worse, on my Vx220 I had to wait until I was 21 as I was simply uneligable for insurance on it at 20.

Insurance is a game, for laughs I bet you'd find it easier to get insured on an old 3.0 V6 Nissan Z31 300ZX than you would the 86, it's all a complete joke.

Sounds almost exactly like my scenario.

I'm 18, work in IT and have 1 Years NCB. 19 in October.

I've just managed to bag a quote with GoSkippy for £1940 No Blackbox, 10k Miles, £250 voluntary excess + Business Use

My tip would be do quotes for a date 20-25 days in advance, do them daily and try it with both named drivers, only 1 and without. My voluntary is £250. Also, set your occupation to Computer Engineer in Information Technology if you're not using that already. 

14 hours ago, Samwise said:

Generally too young im afraid.

Statistically quite a few 86's get written off so for insurance companies they're a bit of a hot car I imagine. Pair that with being a 2 litre engine, rear wheel drive, etc you're asking for trouble with insurance.

The only advise I can give is keeping named drivers on, it always helps and it helps further if all named drivers have full time jobs compared to being unemployed or part timers. Having car parked on driveway is the best option too, compared to Garage or Street, setting a low mile limit if you're not using the car for commuting helps too and with that crash I wouldn't even mention it, they often ask you "Have you made any claims in the last 3 years" and if you're 110% confident that no claims were made by either party then you can truthfully say no to that.

Admiral is always best for younger drivers, Adrian flux are a complete joke and not even worth the time it takes to call them.

Could be worse, on my Vx220 I had to wait until I was 21 as I was simply uneligable for insurance on it at 20.

Insurance is a game, for laughs I bet you'd find it easier to get insured on an old 3.0 V6 Nissan Z31 300ZX than you would the 86, it's all a complete joke.

When I deleted the crash, Elephant was offering me 3K so it does make a huge difference! I will keep playing around and see where I get :)

13 hours ago, OllyW said:

Sounds almost exactly like my scenario.

I'm 18, work in IT and have 1 Years NCB. 19 in October.

I've just managed to bag a quote with GoSkippy for £1940 No Blackbox, 10k Miles, £250 voluntary excess + Business Use

My tip would be do quotes for a date 20-25 days in advance, do them daily and try it with both named drivers, only 1 and without. My voluntary is £250. Also, set your occupation to Computer Engineer in Information Technology if you're not using that already. 

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Okay will give them a go and will play around with the Jobs and see how much closer to 2.5K I can get :)

For reference, I'm 20 and had my license since may 2015. Have 4 years no claims on a motorbike policy (named driver experience) and pay ~£1800 annual, with admiral, can't fault their team yet... 

Guest 86guns

I’d happily swap age with you if you want to swap insurance costs. £200 fully comp, age 57 😂 

On 7/19/2018 at 3:22 PM, Rich196 said:

There has to be away round this?

I would recommend trying pace ward they are very good. I much prefer them to Adrian flux.

Quick update - 

Managed to get quotes down to 2.2K however, this is when I turn 19 ( in a month so calling Admiral about that tomorrow ) and also with me not listing my crash - 2 named drivers with employed jobs also lowered it by 700 pounds. 

However, after speaking to the person I crashed into, she did report it to her insurance company and said we were going private. Does this mean it's on the shared database and I still need to report it? 

Thanks, 

3 hours ago, OnlyNothing said:

However, after speaking to the person I crashed into, she did report it to her insurance company and said we were going private. Does this mean it's on the shared database and I still need to report it? 

It depends on what you were asked:

"Have you been involved in a claim?" - You're fine.

"Have you been involved in an accident?" - You're potentially leaving yourself open to insurance cancellation and lots of bad stuff.

13 hours ago, Paul said:

It depends on what you were asked:

"Have you been involved in an accident?" - You're potentially leaving yourself open to insurance cancellation and lots of bad stuff.

Yeah that was what I am thinking. Calling them up and when they ask that I can state I have not made a claim avoiding their question. However, being 18 still makes it around 3.5K so I'm stuck with what to do, the car will be gone in a months time so would temp insurance work? Might temp insure it under my mum whilst it sits in our drive potentially and wait till im 19 to get the quote.

Does that sound like a good idea, or a really stupid one? 

1 hour ago, OnlyNothing said:

Yeah that was what I am thinking. Calling them up and when they ask that I can state I have not made a claim avoiding their question. However, being 18 still makes it around 3.5K so I'm stuck with what to do, the car will be gone in a months time so would temp insurance work? Might temp insure it under my mum whilst it sits in our drive potentially and wait till im 19 to get the quote.

Does that sound like a good idea, or a really stupid one? 

Want the honest answer?

On 19/07/2018 at 3:16 PM, OnlyNothing said:

Hi All, 

I've been wanting one a 86 for 3 years now, but as always, insurance is blocking me. I found a absolute dream on the market and really want to get insured on it. I can pay for the car now, but not willing to pay the amount of money towards insurance. 

I just wanted some advice and to see if anyone has any advice on getting insurance to be cheaper. Currently being quoted around 5K with 2 named drivers for insurance...

I'm 18 ( 19 in a month ), full time employed working in the IT sector, I have 1 year NCD and got my license in Febuary 2017. I do however, have one crash caused by both parties with damange at 300 pounds but no claims were made. 

I tried calling Adrian Flux and Admiral but they will not take me. 

Does anyone have any advice? 

Thanks, 

Sorry we could't help out with your insurance. Hope you manage to obtain a favorable rate from someone.

Regards,

Dan.

Please don't take this the wrong way but the prices don't seem to be that excessive to me bearing in mind your age, experience and accident history. As Samwise said "statistically quite a few 86's get written off" and I suspect most of them were being driven by experienced drivers.

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 1:14 AM, Paul said:

It depends on what you were asked: I normally get asked

Is it common to be asked one question or the other now as I am sure I normally get asked something along the lines of "Have you had an accident or made a claim in the last x years whether your fault or not"