Hi, can the tpms feature be mapped out via ECUtek? 

I have decided on what wheels I want to fit, rota blitz. if tpms can’t be mapped out can I use sensors with these wheels? If I can fit sensors onto these rims do I have to buy new or could I get my stock ones swapped over

thanks

I have decided on what wheels I want to fit, rota blitz. if tpms can’t be mapped out can I use sensors with these wheels? If I can fit sensors onto these rims do I have to buy new not rims or could I get my stock ones swapped over
thanks

When l snapped my valve l discovered the TMPS sensor attached. Toyota fitted new one £150 per corner , then had to reset the ecu. Cant see new rims being a problem imvho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are the sensors on the valves on these? I was a bit confused as Iv seen some wheels say the tpms don’t fit but if it’s in the valves then surely they should fit all wheels?

Thats right. I needed to replace one. Apparently it is unusual to have them on the valves. Just adds to the cost of a seeming simple problem

Mine are off the car at the moment so the dreaded warning light is always on.  When I have winter tyres fitted to my stock wheels, they'll be back in action again.  I'll only need them to get through the MOT in a couple of years' time.

Are the sensors on the valves on these? I was a bit confused as Iv seen some wheels say the tpms don’t fit but if it’s in the valves then surely they should fit all wheels?

I do have a primo with 16” wheels, but as the sensor is built into the valve i cant see that it would make a difference

I swapped mine over to my new wheels and have been fine the last year. The valve contains the sensor  and its a big lump so certain wheels depending on design might not be suitable with tpms but i guess that not many have had to deal with this issue aa its still relatively new. Also means the tyre shop might charge you more to take the old sensors off the old wheels to put them on the new ones. I might be wrong but having a tpms fault could be an mot failure 

I swapped mine over to my new wheels and have been fine the last year. The valve contains the sensor  and its a big lump so certain wheels depending on design might not be suitable with tpms but i guess that not many have had to deal with this issue aa its still relatively new. Also means the tyre shop might charge you more to take the old sensors off the old wheels to put them on the new ones. I might be wrong but having a tpms fault could be an mot failure 

Protyre couldn’t do mine, had to take it to Toyota. New sensors need to link into ecu

9 hours ago, bassett said:

You're right, it is an MOT failure.  I had to have my sensors swapped onto my new wheels; the garage wouldn't let me leave without the TPMS sensors because of it being an MOT fail.  And yes, they charged for it too, about £130 IIRC.  Ironically they sheared one of the wheel studs and were happy to let me drive away with only 4 nuts holding the wheel on*, but something that didn't even exist until a few years ago is apparently too dangerous to leave off the car.  :huh:

* I know that 4 wheel nuts is enough, but equally I'd rather have a full complement of wheel nuts on my car than TPMS...

There was talk of the Carista app being expanded to enable TPMS switching (when you have TPMS valves on both sets of wheels). Not sure if that ever got out of beta?

its a real faff, I'm going to get some summer wheels next year and will probably not both with TPMS on them, just use the OEM wheels as winter wheels (fortunately my MOT is in March, so ideal time to switch over)

13 hours ago, Daninplymouth said:

No. I believe that it's built into the dash cluster module rather than the ECU. You can have 2 sets and reprogram it every time you swap the wheels over, or swap over the system to the new wheels.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:05 PM, MartinT said:

Mine are off the car at the moment so the dreaded warning light is always on.  When I have winter tyres fitted to my stock wheels, they'll be back in action again.  I'll only need them to get through the MOT in a couple of years' time.

Martin, I know this topic is old but can you confirm warning light clears OK when the stock wheels go back on?  Mine did not when I returned to stock wheels after using a set with no sensors for a while and I’m wondering what I might be doing wrong 

Mark

It's possible for the car to forget the TPMS sensor codes that were programmed in.

I don't have the stock wheels or sensors any more. My new sensors work fine and there is no warning light.

A good tyre place like ProTyre can help with TPMS issues.

11 hours ago, MarkFL said:

Martin, I know this topic is old but can you confirm warning light clears OK when the stock wheels go back on?  Mine did not when I returned to stock wheels after using a set with no sensors for a while and I’m wondering what I might be doing wrong 

Mark

Some TPMS systems know which corner each sensor was on.  So if you've put the wheels back on in a different position (swapping front to rear), that could be causing it.  Also the system takes some time to acquire readings, and the light will stay on until it gets enough data.  It usually takes a few minutes to do that.

Thanks for the replies Martin T and spikyone.  I have successfully rotated the original wheels previously without triggering any TPMS warning.  

I have had it reset at local dealer for £63!  The dealer representative said "it probably happened because the original wheels were separated from the car when you changed them for the trackday".  i asked if it meant I'd need an ECU reset every time wheels with TPMS valves and car were 'separated', eg. for a puncture repair and he said "it might be OK if they weren't separated for too long"!.  Not very helpful.  However I did then find quite a good article in the Toyota magazine https://mag.toyota.co.uk/how-does-tpms-work/comment-page-3/?unapproved=34224&moderation-hash=1d9bb87743dcc68be7d2ec95b3824424#comment-34224

Better still, I posted a comment under the article and within a few hours got the reply below.  I am now wondering if I screwed the process up by trying to clear the warning light with the dashboard reset switch while I had the wheels without sensors on the car.  I'm leaving well alone now till I get the MOT done in April then I'll try the wheel swap again without messing with reset button.

43acc1c487b93dbecd7e38d6d4d764a6?s=64&d=ToyotaUKsays:

Hi Mark,
Thanks for providing these details.
We’ve checked with our technical team and, providing the original wheels go back to the same location and then the initialisation process in the Owner’s Manual is performed using the switch, then the system should function correctly unless there is a fault somewhere.
Thanks.

Btw, I have just found this page in the more comprehensive version of the owners manual.  Seems to agree with reply from the Toyota magazine so fingers crossed for next wheel swaps.

TPMS Faults.jpg