mattt

Tuning Developments NA Package - another review

A fortnight ago I took my car to Mike at Tuning Developments to work his magic. I opted for the UEL manifold as I wanted that characteristic burble to the exhaust note. Mike also persuaded me to have uprated shifter springs fitted.

Firstly I want to say how friendly and knowledgeable Mike was. I've never had a car tuned on a rolling road before, and Mike put me at ease and answered all my questions.

Two weeks in and I can say that I'm really pleased with the better midrange torque the GT86 now has. Combined with the more positive gear change, the car is an absolute joy to drive.

In terms of acoustics, I haven't changed anything else so have the factory second cat and catback exhaust. It's only marginally louder and not intrusive at motorway speeds. If anything it's making me reconsider whether I would actually want a louder exhaust as that boxer burble is so wonderful!

One very minor side effect to mention is that there is a very small increase in NVH into the cabin, which I suspect is from the unequal exhaust pulses.

Another thing to note for anyone who would like to use this as a first step towards a turbo in the future, Mike explained to me it wouldn't be possible to keep the second cat if turbocharging. Come MOT time one would have to swap a cat back in. For my personal circumstances and preferences, this rules out a turbo for me as I don't have the time or facility to change a cat in and out.

Overall I am happy to recommend this tuning package. It's great value for money and well worth the trip!6f27a3ee0f57697c2189a1cf4d18ff93.jpgc3bc0a9d00fb677c398098d513eef51a.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Great review but That’s a long old drive which at some point in the future I’ll need to make myself.
I went up the Friday night before and stayed locally. There's also a very nice cafe (Cafe Ocho) within walking distance for a restorative fry-up!

Another option that I went for earlier this year was to leave oem manifold and fit a primary cat back the sound of the exhaust is fantastic with just a few pops and bangs but not every gear change. The service at td was great and Mike was a pleasure to talk to. If the torque dip does not bother you and you like using the gearbox this option transforms the car and is a pleasure to drive  also no worries at mot time and a very long guarantee happy all round 

Another option that I went for earlier this year was to leave oem manifold and fit a primary cat back the sound of the exhaust is fantastic with just a few pops and bangs but not every gear change. The service at td was great and Mike was a pleasure to talk to. If the torque dip does not bother you and you like using the gearbox this option transforms the car and is a pleasure to drive  also no worries at mot time and a very long guarantee happy all round 

And even better for a road car with a change of final drive too.

3 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

I’m planning this same trip up from sunny Plymouth too at the end of the year.

got a few little pieces on my shopping list for mike so can’t wait 

Cool! What other treats have you got in mind or do we have to wait to find out? :P

The TD NA kit is a cracker and I remain very pleased with mine.

I personally don't feel the need for the turbo and am put off by the need to remove the second cat, which should hopefully get me through the MOT.

To be honest, the car is perfect for swooping country roads and is capable of keeping up with some significant machinery due to its great poise and handling and the improved midrange grunt.  Oh, and I like the noise with the stock exhaust, too.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:21 AM, mattt said:

A fortnight ago I took my car to Mike at Tuning Developments to work his magic. I opted for the UEL manifold as I wanted that characteristic burble to the exhaust note. Mike also persuaded me to have uprated shifter springs fitted.

Firstly I want to say how friendly and knowledgeable Mike was. I've never had a car tuned on a rolling road before, and Mike put me at ease and answered all my questions.

Two weeks in and I can say that I'm really pleased with the better midrange torque the GT86 now has. Combined with the more positive gear change, the car is an absolute joy to drive.

In terms of acoustics, I haven't changed anything else so have the factory second cat and catback exhaust. It's only marginally louder and not intrusive at motorway speeds. If anything it's making me reconsider whether I would actually want a louder exhaust as that boxer burble is so wonderful!

One very minor side effect to mention is that there is a very small increase in NVH into the cabin, which I suspect is from the unequal exhaust pulses.

Another thing to note for anyone who would like to use this as a first step towards a turbo in the future, Mike explained to me it wouldn't be possible to keep the second cat if turbocharging. Come MOT time one would have to swap a cat back in. For my personal circumstances and preferences, this rules out a turbo for me as I don't have the time or facility to change a cat in and out.

Overall I am happy to recommend this tuning package. It's great value for money and well worth the trip!6f27a3ee0f57697c2189a1cf4d18ff93.jpgc3bc0a9d00fb677c398098d513eef51a.jpg

Hey bro what does the car sound like with a fully stock exhaust and just the UEL header and overpipe?

I’m looking to do this to my car soon