Rob_86

Uel mot emissions failure friendly garage needed

Just got my car back from Toyota after having it's mot, came back as a failure due to emmisions, I have a tuning development uel on, gave it a spirited drive before I got to the dealership. Anyone know a friendly garage around bath or Bristol 

You hadn't told what cats are still on your car left in addition to aftermarket header? Do you still have cats or went for full decat of both cat removals? Or stock frontpipe with stock cat? Or some aftermarket frontpipe with so-called "high flow cat"? If later, then it's often game of luck, with some pass, with some not, after all, right name for "high flow cat" would be "less effective less cell count cat" named high-flow because that sounds better, not because it's some magic cat that performs better then "normal cats". Emission cleanup efficiency exchanged for less flow resistance.

With warmed up 2ndary stock cat most should pass emission test with ease. If 2ndary cat that's left is aftermarket "high-flow" one, put back stock frontpipe. If you didn't pass with stock secondary one, imho there might be some issue with it for it to not work at expected efficiency. Then you are at choices of getting somewhere replacement stock catted front pipe (hmm, no clue, where/how to get it for less at UK, some breaker yard with partout of totaled cars? some part-out classifieds at forums?), or eg. for MOT put stock catted header back to have at least primary cat working at full capacity.

Hmm, IIRC many passed with stock 2ndary. How old your car is?

Might there be some burning out of cat insides by age or abuse (eg. like using some "poping/cracking" ecu tune which may damage cats)?

Or if it's 2016, from which testing station expects stringer emission numbers due it being supposedly EURO 6 emissions vehicle?

Anyone from UK that had passed MOT emission tests with only 2nd stock cat willing to compare numbers from his printout to theirs?

Hey, I've just read everything just because I'm after a TD UEL manifold too. Did TD do the time too? Its just a thought as I spoke with them at Silverstone and the fella said it's best to do to them because they know what to dial in to the map. I thought it was a clear sales pitch but perhaps not 😜 

I've heard several times mentioned in UK twins forums, that TD header+tune is good combo offering price/performancy wise. More then probable that they should also have most experience with tunes for their own header. See no reasons for getting tune separately and for extra cost, if their header is considered.

Another possible reason for more emissions is crap and or old fuel, just for example asda smart price washing up liquid petrol is gonna burn a lot more manky than V-max or something similar. 

It might not make much difference but it could be the difference between pass and fail.

I'd definetly recommend tuning developments, the tune is awesome, complete chances the car.  think I've just been unlucky as everyone else seems to pass the mot. 

1 hour ago, Montatron said:

Another possible reason for more emissions is crap and or old fuel, just for example asda smart price washing up liquid petrol is gonna burn a lot more manky than V-max or something similar. 

It might not make much difference but it could be the difference between pass and fail.

I had esso super unleaded in the tank 

1 hour ago, Church said:

I've heard several times mentioned in UK twins forums, that TD header+tune is good combo offering price/performancy wise. More then probable that they should also have most experience with tunes for their own header. See no reasons for getting tune separately and for extra cost, if their header is considered.

More than several I would say. They do the map for their manifold (header is an annoying Amercanism) It's obviously best to get them to do the mapping with their exhaust manifold as they have done so many historically. 

16 minutes ago, maurice said:

Mine was a little borderline with the second cat only, needed to be quite warm.

If it was mapped for 99 fuel and it's on Esso's 97 it won't help.

Still you are well over, maybe the second cat has had it.

At fast idle there should be 0 difference tuning difference between fuels. Typically the car is in closed loop for these tests so I would expect this to be less tuning related as the ECU will always target around 14.7. Unless the tune calls for it to drop out of CL of course. I would suggest the cat isn't generating enough heat to work properly. This could be the reason the OEM uses 2 due to variance in quality and degradation.

However it could also be an indication that the O2 sensor is going, damage can occur when swapping between manifold and a datalog might show what's going on.

44 minutes ago, Rob_86 said:

I had esso super unleaded in the tank 

Yeah, I thought you'd have had good stuff in the tank dude, I'm just having some wild stabs in the dark .... Just like that devil robot in Futurama 🤣🤣🤣

There shouldn't be much difference between catless aftermarket headers with relation to emissions imho. Not sure about ecu tunes though, as for those in some for usability/quietness reasons there might be cold starts tuned out. Though then again not sure if there is much difference between having cold starts or not if header is catless, but 2ndary header in downstream is much further from cylinders, and not sure if there would be difference after engine/exhaust are properly heated up.

Rob_86: i wonder if TD may advise something in relation to MOT ..

Meanwhile maybe even more emission test printouts of passed MOT with catless header may find way in here for more comparison? (and maybe also shortmention of which header/tune by whom) :)

When my Celica emissions were a little off for the Mot, the recommendation was a bottle of Forte Injection Cleaner, a good blast up the bypass a few times, then it would pass having cleared the crap out of the system.

Probably several hacks or shady garages may help pass .. but what interests me as to why for OP & Cerastes stock cat didn't work like for others. Heck, IIRC in some cases, though narrowly and maybe not by first try, but some passed even with aftermarket "high-flow" 2ndary cat. Now i cannot tell to others that leaving stock 2nd cat is 100% sure way to pass.

My guesses were that either exhaust/cat wasn't heated up while waiting for test or stock cat being damaged or underperforming for whatever reasons, but would love to find out real reason/culprit. 3rd guess, is maybe if car engine idling w/o load lets cats cool off too much. Out of curiosity, Rob_86 & Cerastes: were emissions tested prior or after all the other tests like lights/suspension and so on? And others, who passed with header+catless, at which point of MOT inspection emissions were tested? Damn, need more statistical data of results & order of testing to even start drawing any conclusions :)

Is there anyone who has had the TD NA tuning package (i.e. the manifold and tune) in isolation from other engine mods AND not passed the MOT as a direct result?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk