S18 RSG

S18 RSG - The German Invasion

Figured it was about time I updated you guys (at least, those of you who know me anyway) on what I've been up to since I sold my GT86 in August 2017.

For those of you who didn't know my last car, feel free to delve into that, at your leisure, here, but the highlights:

• Tuning Developments Turbo (first one to have a UEL manifold)
  • Tein Coilovers
  • 3SDM 0.01 Wheels
  • Brakes, minor body mods, minor interior mods etc etc.

In June 2017, I started my new job. Working 37 miles away from home, and earning twice my original wage, meant that my requirements and availability of replacements changed quite quickly. I daily drove the GT86 for the 75 miles per day round trip for 2 months, before realising it just wasn't a great proposition any more, so I had to sell it on unfortunately.

After some deliberation, and much disappointment (finding out an F10 M5 wouldn't fit in my garage was a particular lowlight), I decided upon the replacement for the GT86...a BMW M2.

And here she is...

20935109_10159155335850585_7015456624990931747_o.thumb.jpg.b5dbda0d8e0461b00759d54d7bc759b1.jpg

The eagle eye'd amongst you will no doubt have noticed, this isn't an M2 - Despite the 3 hour journey to buy an M2, I just couldn't convince myself that spending £42,000 on a car was a good idea, when for £18,000 less, I could buy an M235i, with more or less the same engine, interior and running gear, but with about £10k less fancy M bits. Not a huge concern given the fact that I never buy a car and leave it standard.

The car remained much the same for the first few months of ownership, as the buildup to Christmas was all about saving money to make some modifications leading up to summer. A few small changes, but nothing I can't summarise now.

That brings us very quickly to today, and the way it currently sits:

20180505_172415.thumb.jpg.7094f006f3f556729111eb507d4c5346.jpg

20180505_172429.thumb.jpg.6deadd793e4f269db7938bcc1b226639.jpg

To summarise the build so far:

• Richter 4" 200 cell sports cat downpipe
  • BMS JB4 ECU
  • Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers
  • M Performance front grills, front splitter, rear spoiler, rear diffuser and carbon tailpipes
  • 2Forge ZF3 (semi-forged) wheels - 19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 rear
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres (225/35/19F and 255/30/19R)
  • M4 brake pads and discs
  • Dyno'd at 420bhp and 450lb/ft

Safe to say, everything I've done so far has increased my enjoyment of the car a huge amount. From factory, I would say the M235i is slightly quicker in a straight line than my turbo GT86 was, but wouldn't have a chance through the bends or around a track. The car also had a very strange ride from factory, quite compliant and soft, but very bouncy.

The combination of Bilstein coilovers and PS4S's has transformed both the ride quality and road holding capability of the car, and it can truly handle the increase in power with very little issues.

I have timed the car (on a private road, of course) using a Dragy GPS, at 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, 0-100 in 8 seconds, and 60-120mph in a little under 8 seconds. Comparing that to stock cars, it sits somewhere between a 911 Carrera S and an Audi R8 V10, not bad for a little 3 litre :)

Going forward, the plans aren't massive as I feel the car is in a good place. Non-resonated mid-pipe for some extra burbles and some gloss black wrapping (roof and a few accents) will likely be next. Will then look to explore a custom map for the JB4 to really make the most of it (should approach 440bhp and 500lb/ft), at which point some reinforced charge pipes and boost pipes may be required, but nothing major.

I appreciate this may not be to everyone's taste, seeing as this forum can, at times, look down on any car that weighs more than 1300kg, but please be gentle :P

I'll still be attending local meets and non-Jap only shows, so keep an eye out for me on your travels, and give me a wave if you see me :)

Thanks,
Ross

Interesting.  I had a remapped and DPF-deleted BMW 335d M-Sport Coupe which was a tyre-shredder with 374bhp and 720nm (yes, really) torque.  Even the 265s on the rears didn't last long.  it was a rocketship in a straight line but was far too heavy to throw around.  Great for motorway overtaking but little else.  Now that I have the BRZ, I really don't miss it at all.

Sounds good and I do wonder as I edge ever closer to 50 whether at some point I'd want a more comfortable car like your's. The mods sound good, I just have this problem with weight but maybe I'll get over that. ;)

Can't beat a BMW straight six engine, my last car had a straight-six naturally aspirated N52 (265bhp) and I'd swap the boxer for that in a heart beat if it was easy. Rest of the car was a bit too compromised for me on tight bumpy roads but you can't argue with those engines.

interesting!
i came from a jb4'd m135i 
great in a straight line but a pretty flawed chassis (i only had H&R springs on mine) which is where the M2 steps in 
i do miss the ability the power gave but i much prefer driving the 86 on UK/yorkshires roads
2er looks great though :D

Thanks for the comments guys.

I must admit, the first time I took the Beemer on a good back road, I did miss the flat cornering and playful nature of the GT86, but as explained, because my situation changed so drastically from a 5 mile/day commute to an 80 mile/day commute with lots of traffic, the BMW had so many areas in which it trumped the GT86, I could overlook the one or two flaws.

Since changing the coilovers and tyres, it's by no means suddenly a GT86 with 400+bhp, but it certainly gets itself around. While not exactly a "lightweight" car, 1450kg approx. is fairly decent for a modern car, especially with a big 3 litre engine and an auto gearbox. I'm certainly missing the GT86 less and less as days go by.

@Lauren, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised driving one of these. Many car reviewers (Chris Harris included) have made comparisons to the E46 M3, and nobody would call that a heavy, boring car. Sure, it's heavier and not as playful as a GT86, but it makes up for it in a lot of other ways :) 

Good write up, like the mods . Thanks for the summary.

I have not tested M2 before deciding on GT86, but having tried one recently thought that would be my choice if I did not go for GT86.

Competition series just way too expensive though...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Very nice, I bet it’s quicker than mine in most situations too! Maybe I should test drive one.

There was an idea that the GT86 would eventually replace my CSL but whilst it’s maybe lighter it lacks so much character in the engine bay it became a no brainer, so I’m keeping the CSL and getting a more interesting daily to replace the 86 now.

7 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Very nice, I bet it’s quicker than mine in most situations too! Maybe I should test drive one.

There was an idea that the GT86 would eventually replace my CSL but whilst it’s maybe lighter it lacks so much character in the engine bay it became a no brainer, so I’m keeping the CSL and getting a more interesting daily to replace the 86 now.

I've driven a few lightly modified E46's, as you'd probably expect, straight line performance mine is in a different league. Around the corners is where I'd probably fall a little bit back, just because the E46 has such a massive amount of mechanical grip. That being said, looking at a lap of most tracks, I can imagine the extra straight line speed would keep mine ahead fairly comfortably (although perhaps not with me at the wheel haha).

I test drove so many cars in the £30-40k used range, and without doubt the M235i is the one car that struck me as the best value for money "dual personality" car out there. The difference between the calm, subtle, quiet comfort mode, and the loud, manic sport+ mode is addictive. I couldn't recommend one as a daily driver more. Usually German cars tend to be a little emotionless, but this one has such a personality, it's really grabbed me.

Car looked lovely today mate, sits really well. Love that spoiler too. Bonus points for the custom bonnet 😂 ;) 

Let me know if you come across some smoked repeaters too, will defo have those off you 👍🏻