mattt

XTRONS PB78HGTP Android 8.0 Ongoing Review

Hi everyone!

As I'm a bit new on the forums and have already asked quite a few questions, I thought it's time to contribute something back :)

So here's an ongoing review of an XTRONS Android head unit I fitted this weekend. I'll update as I go along and share my experiences.

Part one: Why I chose this headunit

Part two: Ease of installation and impressions of the hardware

Part three: First impressions

Part four: Every day experience

Hope people find it helpful! Stay tuned...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Part one: Why I chose this headunit

When it comes to technology and cars, I find most choices are an exercise in compromise. Do I want the best sound quality? Do I want a recognised brand I trust? What does it look like aesthetically? Does it have all the features I want etc..

For me I've always been someone to prioritize sound and function over looks, but with the GT86 I really didn't want to go with a standard double DIN unit and have to have those plastic fillers in the dash. A compromise too far for me in order to have a headunit from a recognised brand.

The second big factor for me is that over time I've moved away from listening to CDs or MP3s, and I listen almost exclusively to Spotify. This means either streaming from my phone, or an android headunit. I decided that I didn't want to have to either plug my phone in, or rely on Bluetooth.

Thirdly the satnav on the Toyota touch and go is rubbish, and I find that no other satnav comes close to the power of Google maps. See above - having this native on the unit rather than plug my phone in is my preference.

Lastly, I've been using a Chinese made OnePlus 5 phone... this has convinced me that most android products coming out of China are actually very good quality. This gave me confidence to try XTRONS even though I've never heard of them!

You can find the unit here on the XTRONS website:

http://xtrons.co.uk/pb78hgtp-android-8-octa-core-4gb-ram-32gb-rom-multimedia-dvd-player-with-6-95-display-custom-fit-for-toyota.html

I decided to buy through Amazon for some added piece of mind.

0edd89b43af7d213e50d150e98284602.jpg1204000ba4ab0e5aa46da3d644e68160.jpg42108ce68800219d88fdf9228aed7599.jpg

I see it has one of my "must have" features like cd tray. It also has 4gb ram, unlike older 2gb units. Pity it lacks last bit i'd wish in such - hardware volume knob.

As for China products in general .. they can make anything there according to what is ordered. Their current heavy & high tech industry is capable of. Both very high quality/up to strictest standards & requirements but also accordingly higher priced, and shitty but dirt cheap products, however customers wishes/whatever they order them. It's just that most of western world that move production there, still order those subpar quality but cheap as possible products, all so that cost can go down and profits margin go up. They can make better, but WE order/buy cheap alibaba/rep crap, whichever tops the list when one sorts by price.

Part two: Install and Initial Impression

One thing I was pleasantly surprised by was how easy to install this was. Fitted it using the OEM brackets from the touch and go. Only needed to grind off 1 locating tag that wasn't quite in the right place. No adaptor main wiring harness needed, the wiring with the unit was Toyota specific and we'll labeled. Interestingly the wiring is all modular: don't need aux out - don't fit the specific cable module. Makes the back very neat. Comes with a GPS antenna however I used two adaptors to make use of the OEM GPS antenna. You can find these here and here. Only other adaptor was one to utilise the front USB port. The unit comes with 2 other rear usb ports on a long wire that can easily be routed to the glove box.

Quality wise it feels solidly put together. All the wire clips locate well, and generally it's pleasing to look at.

Here it is in-situ after first powering up.

I'll gather my thoughts on daily use over next few weeks.1b972e47810e2fc0cf5a46bce1a4fd7e.jpg0e17879b345681897ea897b780ec74f0.jpg

Part three: first impressions

Software and usability:

This XTRONS unit is running Android 8 Oreo with a custom launcher overlay. There are software buttons along the notification bar for switching between apps, and changing the screen brightness to its lowest setting. This seems a bit redundant as the unit dims automatically to a brightness level you can specify when you turn the sidelights/dipped beams on. The standard android notification panel is there when you swipe down from the top for accessing WiFi, Bluetooth and so on.

The home screen has 4 widgets for controlling the radio, Bluetooth phone connection, music player and a clock. Other apps are displayed as rectangular buttons. All the other apps are not in a tray, but all displayed on multiple pages if you swipe right. They aren't in any order, and frankly this is poor design. The other notable software element is the lack of lock screen.

This being android though, all of this is completely fixable! Using my phone as a WiFi hotspot, Google Play Store holds all the answers.

In the first few days of ownership I tried a number of different launchers to replace the XTRONS one. I settled on Smart Launcher 5 and added a lockscreen. Scroll down to see the results.

Re: the hardware buttons. They are of the capacitive touch sort you find on smartphones and are acceptably responsive. I agree with Church - I'd have preferred a rotary control for volume, but the touch buttons work well enough.

Sound quality: Once I'd tuned the equaliser to my liking, to my ears the XTRONS sounds marginally better than OEM. This is on stock speakers and I will be fitting Focal IS165TOYs in the future and will update you all then. I can always add an amp and sound deadening if the SQ isn't up to par.

My overall first impressions are very positive. It connects quickly to my WiFi hotspot. Apps are very responsive. Radio reception is ok but not amazing. I don't really listen to the radio as the stations down here play utter rubbish. In any case - internet radio apps solve that problem. I play music through Spotify and that works like a dream. GPS locks instantly. Google maps is fantastic for satnav and offline maps can be downloaded for patchy signal. One word of warning - I haven't been able to get Co-pilot satnav working as it's been designed with phones in mind. Therefore the starting screen where you have to accept a license agreement assumes a portrait orientation with no scroll: you can't get to the accept button. Stupid really as easily fixable by the Dev team and I have alerted them.

In conclusion my first impressions are overwhelmingly positive. A few niggles but they can be overcome. The versatility of android in your car is absolutely great. Will live with it for a bit and then write a bit more.

Cheers all!625f699054f3c511dbb56eb404ed3a29.jpg1f54ccf2a9d4c1bcd200997ec4c4372c.jpg

Great stuff. :) Never used Android (been using Apple since their first phone) so I've never really known that much about these sorts of units. I like the fact it fits well without an adapter plate. Which adapters did you need for OEM GPS and USB?

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the deal with satnav on an Android HU?  You mention downloading offline maps, so I presume that if you want a 'regular' satnav capability you either need to fit a SIM or use your phone's data?  And that you'd then be limited by your data reception.

If that is the case, then what is the advantage in an Android HU over a more conventional HU?  The only thing I can see in favour of Android is that there are more options that will fit our cars without an adaptor and they might be a bit cheaper.  Have I missed something?

Spikeyone. Offline maps use downloaded road maps and the GPS receiver for positioning. These pre loaded maps are either downloaded through a data connection onto internal storage or by an SD card. The advantage of this is you don't need to rely on having good data reception and using up your data allowance.

Online maps use a data connection to basically stream the map, it still uses GPS for positioning though. The advantage of this is that your maps will never be outdated and you can receive live traffic updates etc. The downside is you need a data connection, typically using your mobile phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Each have their pros and cons. Running a android headunit gives you the flexibility to run any of the best sat nav apps available offline and online.

Great in depth review by the way Matt, the fit for a touch screen device is very very good, had this unit been available when I was looking for one i probably would have gone for it. How irritating is it not being able to run Co-Pilot!!! I have encountered the same issue with my Joying Headunit. One thing I will say is keep the amount of apps on there to a minimum and anything that doesn't need to have data, disable it (i.e. do you need your emails updated?) It keeps the headunit running much slicker but I'm sure you know this anyway. :)

1 hour ago, Varelco said:

Great in depth review by the way Matt

Seconded - I should have said that before I started asking questions, and I apologise if I'm taking this off-topic.

From the perspective of running satnav apps, can that not be done with a named-brand HU running Android Auto?  In which case, is it just cost (and fitment, in the case of our cars) that these HUs have in their favour?  Most of the reviews of Android HUs seem to focus on how many cores they have and what apps they can run - with only a passing reference to stuff like whether the sound quality is any good.  And there are few comparisons to non-Android HUs from established brands, who don't generally seem interested in releasing Android HUs of their own.

big brands HUs with Android Auto have pros eg. usually better audio quality, and cons - imho android auto screen mirroring is a bit laggy to use, also there might be compatibility issues with different vendors / different phones, also cost often is much more then for these chinese android units.

Pity there still is no HU with best of both worlds. As i see no technical reason helding back, probably some legalese issues. As such, high chance to never see android unit from top car audio vendors :(

Android Auto has a very limited amount of apps available to run on it. The Apps used here have to be qualified/approved for use in a car. The reason the big names do not sell full Android operating headunits is that they shouldn't be using full android operating systems in cars. Effectively you are using a mobile phone.

That's quite an impressive unit for the price, and looks good in place, at least until it is covered in fingerprints...

I rather wish it had some physical buttons - touch screens are tricky at best when the car is moving. I'm not a fan of needing your phone set as a hotspot most of the time either, but a slick fit into the dashboard is a big plus.

Thanks for your report @mattt !

Thanks for all the interesting replies and sharing of experience. Unfortunately I'm going to a bit distracted from my review as someone has just reversed a flatbed lorry into the back of the 86 today! Have all the details so just the hassle of putting it right...

Will come back to this when sorted....5cc73ace6a1815d8c2144ec341255ee9.jpg

Thanks for all the interesting replies and sharing of experience. Unfortunately I'm going to a bit distracted from my review as someone has just reversed a flatbed lorry into the back of the 86 today! Have all the details so just the hassle of putting it right...

Oh man, that's brutal so sorry to see that.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, sam534 said:

Oh man, that's brutal so sorry to see that.

Thanks.. it'll buff out.... :P

Yeah. Wish for quick repair and back on road. Even if other party's insurance pays damages, that long time until it gets fixed up, especially if car stays at shop during that time, is killing. Always very painful to see such things happened with car that i like a lot :(

12 hours ago, mattt said:

ouch - in one fortunate way it's 'high-up' damage so probably new bootlid/wing as that looks to have taken almost all of the 'hit'. Rear bumper will hopefully just be a new skin.

Pretty much an open and shut insurance claim due to their negligence.

This will spur me on to fit my rear dash cam and the power pro for 24hr cover.

I realise I'm taking this off topic but has anyone been in this situation where some insurance repairs are needed, but also asked for a full respray to be done at same time and paid the difference? Is that possible or quite a nightmare?

I realise I'm taking this off topic but has anyone been in this situation where some insurance repairs are needed, but also asked for a full respray to be done at same time and paid the difference? Is that possible or quite a nightmare?

I've had extra work done, the company usually just want cash, usually you can get a good deal as the insurance company is effectively paying for the time in the paint booth you just need to pay materials.

I've had extra work done, the company usually just want cash, usually you can get a good deal as the insurance company is effectively paying for the time in the paint booth you just need to pay materials.

Thanks for the quick response! Waiting for my insurance company's nominated repairer to call me - some company called Auxillis

Auxillis aren't a repairer, just an accident management company.  They're one of those companies that will sort you out with a "like-for-like" hire car (rather than a courtesy car) and charge it to the other insurer, whilst arranging your repairs etc.  In your case liability is cut and dry, but be aware that if you go down the route of a like-for-like car and the other insurer challenges costs you could end up paying for the hire car, which will be very very very expensive.  Given that you're asking for extra work to be done, that's something you should be aware of as it increases the chance of the other insurer having a problem with it.

(I don't have a problem with those like for like cars in general - aside from the fact that we all pay more on our insurance! - and where liability is clear it is infrequent for there to be problems.  It's just that when there is a problem, it gets messy and expensive)

Thanks for the quick response! Waiting for my insurance company's nominated repairer to call me - some company called Auxillis

As above auxillis will have a selection of companies at their disposal who actually do the repairs, recommend researching the company they propose as they sometimes have wiggle room. I have dealt with them twice. Once opted for the like for like car and got a convertible merc c250. Not exactly like for like with the gt86 but it was very nice inside.

Oh and it won't be auxillis you arrange the extra work through it will be the repair company they arrange. The extra work I got done was just a little extra painting work on one panel BTW, not a full respray.