mattt

XTRONS PB78HGTP Android 8.0 Ongoing Review

On 5/20/2018 at 10:51 PM, mattt said:

IMG_20190608_154605.jpg.4d5d83a1c757e5484424d818d10c8039.jpg

Hey peeps, ive just tried to fit this headunit, was all connected and seemed to be working. was getting an occasional beep every 30 seconds or so and when i turned car off the stereo was making a very worrying noise. Can anyone confirm if this cable im holding is meant to connect to something, it has 2 brown and a black wire so im assuming its a ground for steering wheel controls or something? it had 3 prongs inside and doesnt fit over anything, and im left with 2 small cables (1 being oem gps and the other one with black wire im not sure about)

Has anyone had an issue with this head unit? Mine runs for about 90mins maybe a bit longer, then re-boots and I'm left with the attached screen. When I plug in a USB keyboard and select try again, it's fine and starts running okay. Any ideas?

IMG_20190531.jpg

2 hours ago, Graham86 said:

Has anyone had an issue with this head unit? Mine runs for about 90mins maybe a bit loner, then re-boots and I'm left with the attached screen. When I plug in a USB keyboard and select try again, it's fine and starts running okay. Any ideas?

IMG_20190531.jpg

Never had that but I loaded another firmware pretty much as soon as I got it.  You could try start in bootloader/recovery and delete the cache.  Other than that do a factory reset on that screen and hope it's not hardware related.

Looks like it's a hardware issue. I've taken the dash off and run it without this fitted, no issues. So it looks like it could be overheating. I can't see why, it has plenty of air flow around it.

4 hours ago, Graham86 said:

Looks like it's a hardware issue. I've taken the dash off and run it without this fitted, no issues. So it looks like it could be overheating. I can't see why, it has plenty of air flow around it.

I've seen a few issues with overheating on the px5 unit this is based on and people installing new thermal paste and heat sinks.  Can you download a temperature app and check?  Are you using the head units amp to power speakers?  I've used a separate amp since installing which is why I may not have encountered any overheating.

3 hours ago, mart86 said:

I've seen a few issues with overheating on the px5 unit this is based on and people installing new thermal paste and heat sinks.  Can you download a temperature app and check?  Are you using the head units amp to power speakers?  I've used a separate amp since installing which is why I may not have encountered any overheating.

The only thing that's changed in the time it's been installed, I've swapped the dash facia from the OEM 2 part plastic, to a 1 peace. The new is a snug fit, round the front, but I can't image that and the removal of a panel gap has caused extra temperature to be trapped? I've made sure all the cables aren't trapped up against the rear of the unit.

I'm using the head unit amp.

Be wary of buying a Xtrons head unit

Mine has gone faulty after 9months and now struggling to get it fixed under warranty. The original seller has gone into administration, Car Audio Point, part of the EAN group. As when you search for EAN group it points you to Car Audio Point’s website, which has now gone.

I contacted Xtrons directly via their website and I have been told by them to contact the original seller. The support emails are coming from EAN group.

Xtrons claim their units come with a 2 year warranty, but this may not be the case anymore…. I’ll let you know of any further developments.

Thanks for this info. Mine has developed an intermittent fault where sound won't come through the left channel until you change the balance in the equaliser. Doesn't happen often enough to bother me, but I think it makes me less likely to recommend this unit on basis of longevity given your experience to.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Graham86 said:

Be wary of buying a Xtrons head unit

Mine has gone faulty after 9months and now struggling to get it fixed under warranty. The original seller has gone into administration, Car Audio Point, part of the EAN group. As when you search for EAN group it points you to Car Audio Point’s website, which has now gone.

I contacted Xtrons directly via their website and I have been told by them to contact the original seller. The support emails are coming from EAN group.

Xtrons claim their units come with a 2 year warranty, but this may not be the case anymore…. I’ll let you know of any further developments.

Looking at recent reviews I wouldn't recommend them either.  Warranty is pretty much non existent.  They're not a UK registered company.  When I got mine I'm sure they had a UK address and warehouse and didn't pay any import duty.  They don't support UK registered re-sellers with warranty claims which is probably why car audio point has gone into administration. 

Are you having the same issue as before?  I'd open it up and check the thermal paste on the main chip.  It's a well known issue with these units.  If they're not honouring their so called warranty then you really have nothing to lose.

3 hours ago, mattt said:

Thanks for this info. Mine has developed an intermittent fault where sound won't come through the left channel until you change the balance in the equaliser. Doesn't happen often enough to bother me, but I think it makes me less likely to recommend this unit on basis of longevity given your experience to.

This isn't a hardware fault.  It's a software issue.  Mine has done this since day one and is a known issue.  It happens if you make adjustments using the built in equaliser.  If you set it to default and restart your head unit it shouldn't happen again so long as you don't adjust it.  Use another eq app.

Car Audio Point had a Chinese national as a director and from digging about, they were Xtrons UK.

Now I’m certain there’s no warranty, I’ll open it up and replace the thermal paste and see how it goes. The EAN Group email has given me a firmware update, built late 2018.

1 hour ago, Graham86 said:

Car Audio Point had a Chinese national as a director and from digging about, they were Xtrons UK.

Now I’m certain there’s no warranty, I’ll open it up and replace the thermal paste and see how it goes. The EAN Group email has given me a firmware update, built late 2018.

Chinese and a German national seem to be in ties and have had multiple companies dissolved.  Funnily enough the administrators have been the same ones each time and are claiming huge fees each time.  Looks like a fiddle.  I bet a new company pops up soon enough with the same 2 directors.  Avoid at all costs. 

This isn't a hardware fault.  It's a software issue.  Mine has done this since day one and is a known issue.  It happens if you make adjustments using the built in equaliser.  If you set it to default and restart your head unit it shouldn't happen again so long as you don't adjust it.  Use another eq app.
OMG how did I not know this till now haha!

Is it a 2 years manufacturers warranty as you can claim that from manufacturer not seller.

Also, did you pay by credit card as you could get them involved too

Credit card company is now involved, as the original seller has gone into administration. Yes it's "has" a 2 year warranty, but xtrons have said go to the seller and when I told them they had gone into administration (which they already knew), it's going to cost me £160 for parts.

I've opened it up for anyone that's interested to see what’s inside. The heatsink is miles away from the chip and the thermal pad looks like it would act as an insulator, more than a conductor.

171852.jpg

171829.jpg

Wow that PCB is properly congested. To be fair, a improperly mounted heatsink is a textbook setup for overheating. Hopefully it hasn't done any permanent heat damage. The Cortex A53 MP is also used in the Galaxy Note 4, it should be able to throttle before it cooks. In principle it also supports 8-channel audio direct off the chip. Can you see other audio hardware in there or is it doing everything on chip? Apart from the torus on the right, which looks pretty small, I can't see any signs of audio capability (but it's quite a small image). Is there a separate amplifier board in there?