mattt

XTRONS PB78HGTP Android 8.0 Ongoing Review

I downloaded copilot and as you said after dpi change you can agree and use app.  Never used it before though and got something weird.  Started journey and it just started reeling off commands. Turn left in 100, turn right in 100, make a u turn etc.  With absolutely no bearing on the journey itself.  Safe to say I just deleted it but take it this isn't normal? 
Yea I had the same problem haha! I changed the voice to Google TTS (text to speech) and that fixed it. I'm going to play about with it some more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

On 02/06/2018 at 7:53 PM, mattt said:

Yea I had the same problem haha! I changed the voice to Google TTS (text to speech) and that fixed it. I'm going to play about with it some more.

Not sure how I missed this post.  Will have to try it. 

Quick update.  Got steering controls and reverse trigger working with this harness Axxess AX-TOY28SWC .  DAB is rubbish.  Cuts out and skips all the time while moving.  Not sure if it's the stick on aerial  or the dongle itself.  Fm works fine and aerial is powered via 12v amp/aerial wire.  USB is working now too.  Found the adapter cheaper on ebay from China. £2.19 delivered.  Took a while to come but works fine. 

I'm loving Google assistant on this. So cool to just say 'ok Google play some rock on spotify' and away it goes!

I've put in a Huawei "wingle" (yes, I know) so have WiFi in the car. Means if someone steals the car can track where it is using 'find my device'. Sweet!

Hi All, I fancy this and doing the install myself, think I have found all the parts mentioned in the posts just with the exception to the GPS lead. Has anyone got any advice on where I can find this? Many Thanks, I'm a bit of a newbie and struggling to locate this lead.

2018-08-20 12_19_31-Adapter for Aftermarket Car Navigation Boxes Connection to OEM GPS Antenna SMA C.png

Hi,

I've got the same head unit and installed it in my 86. Have you had any issue with the FM quality? Mines doesn't seem to have great reception. I'm using the standard app that came with.

On 20/08/2018 at 12:21 PM, GT1986 said:

Hi All, I fancy this and doing the install myself, think I have found all the parts mentioned in the posts just with the exception to the GPS lead. Has anyone got any advice on where I can find this? Many Thanks, I'm a bit of a newbie and struggling to locate this lead.

2018-08-20 12_19_31-Adapter for Aftermarket Car Navigation Boxes Connection to OEM GPS Antenna SMA C.png

You don't need it. I've just used the provided GPS antenna and stuck it under the dash, behind/left of the head unit above the globe box. Works fine, with no issues and a strong signal.

9 hours ago, Graham86 said:

Hi,

I've got the same head unit and installed it in my 86. Have you had any issue with the FM quality? Mines doesn't seem to have great reception. I'm using the standard app that came with.

Hi Graham, have you given the FM Aerial a supply? My reception was pretty non existent until I did this. 

Yes bud, need to give that cable a feed. I just connected mine to the AMP wire that comes out of the of the head unit as it's unused, but cutting into any live from the headunit will do the trick. The voltage on the AMP wire is slightly higher than required if I remember right but perfectly safe. 

2 hours ago, GT1986 said:

Yes bud, need to give that cable a feed. I just connected mine to the AMP wire that comes out of the of the head unit as it's unused, but cutting into any live from the headunit will do the trick. The voltage on the AMP wire is slightly higher than required if I remember right but perfectly safe. 

Cheers!

On 11/05/2018 at 6:00 PM, mattt said:

Part two: Install and Initial Impression

Comes with a GPS antenna however I used two adaptors to make use of the OEM GPS antenna. You can find these here and here.

Can anyone tell me and give me the link of the second adapter? The link is off.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:49 PM, Samwise said:

Does anyone know if the new Xtrons PR78HGTL will fit the 86?

http://xtrons.co.uk/7-android-8-1-octa-core-car-stereo-smart-multimedia-player-custom-fit-for-toyota.html

Also has anyone been able to successfully use bluetooth tethering to these headunits?

I can't see why it wouldn't its a 200mm unit which is perfect as you wont need to use any ugly fascia trim pieces :)

On 29/06/2018 at 7:37 AM, mart86 said:

Quick update.  Got steering controls and reverse trigger working with this harness Axxess AX-TOY28SWC .  DAB is rubbish.  Cuts out and skips all the time while moving.  Not sure if it's the stick on aerial  or the dongle itself.  Fm works fine and aerial is powered via 12v amp/aerial wire.  USB is working now too.  Found the adapter cheaper on ebay from China. £2.19 delivered.  Took a while to come but works fine. 

DAB is (likely) rubbish because of the stick on windscreen antenna. I have an external one and it's much better, and our DAB reception isn't perfect in our area. That's the same story as on my previous DAB experience in my old car with a PURE DAB box. Even the wee magnetic external antenna is worth a look, but ideally, a roof mount permanent one.

(huge thanks to Matt for this thread - massive help!)

Got my unit fitted and want to change launcher and figure out lots of stuff...

* what's a good launcher? any pics?

* Is there a better DAB app than the stock one from Xtrons? Mine struggles to startup and needs restarted each time, and isn't a great UI.

* Has anyone figured out how to use Google Assistant on the unit while Google Assistant is also on my phone mounted on the dash? Both devices' assistants try to help, and it gets messy to say the least. I don't have a SIM card attached to the unit, so it's going to be of limited value to do "OK Google" on the unit, but I was hoping to find some neat way to use it for phone calls, navigating, picking music and other "offline" activity.

* Is CoPilot the best navigation choice? MAPS.ME? is the only problem with Google Maps the size of the downloaded maps?

Cheers

Iain

Hey all! 

I'm waiting on my Xtrons PRHG78HGTL since it was the newer one of the two I was looking at. The first being the one the OP picked up. 

Question for everyone who got one. I'm trying to build the list of adapters I'm going to need...it's my understanding I'll need a USB adapt to retain the dash USB...a antenna adapter to use the factory one....and most importantly, an adapter for the reverse camera. This to me is the most important, but I can't figure out which one to get. There are quite a few and while I get the wiring to an extent, I'm a bit confused which one is which. I know I need a 12v-6v converter....

Anyone have a link handy to the one they got?

CHEERS!

So for anyone searching for Xtrons and in particular the one below....I ordered it and honestly, it looked like shit. It's been returned. The problem is that the face on this unit is actually recessed and flat. I got it installed and it sat way to back from the edges of the dash trim for my taste. Didn't even grab a pic...was pretty disappointed since this was the newer model with everything I was looking for. 

On 12/30/2018 at 7:49 AM, Samwise said:

Does anyone know if the new Xtrons PR78HGTL will fit the 86?

http://xtrons.co.uk/7-android-8-1-octa-core-car-stereo-smart-multimedia-player-custom-fit-for-toyota.html

Also has anyone been able to successfully use bluetooth tethering to these headunits?

Part four: Every day impressions a year on!

Hello all!

I didn't quite intend to leave this a whole year before giving a day to day impression, but actually that seems like a really decent time period to give a fuller review of this head-unit.

First, TLDR: I still very much like this headunit. Not perfect, but for the price and function I dont think it's beatable at present.

Now to more in depth.

1. Changes since original review

I have made some changes both hardware and software.

In addition to  Focal 165TOY speakers, I've added an amplifier to drive them and a subwoofer. I'll tell the tale in pictures below:

01.thumb.jpg.c733e2a5051313ae6faa714901a62a77.jpg

Power wire through a firewall grommet next to battery

02.thumb.jpg.123f8c75905f9f3a3e0564182523c390.jpg

RCA cables / Speaker cables / Remote on wire routed via centre console

03.jpg.a7fc1636c2b5eda6757e80c5a91ac0d1.jpg

Boot tray before for reference

04.thumb.jpg.da260922a6d591067ebb7ffd7266fdc0.jpg

Hertz compact subwoofer (Hertz Energy EBX F20.5) - added some foam around edge to reduce fibrations

05.jpg.b0136a3baa98a07f504f95338898dcba.jpg

Modifying boot tray

06.thumb.jpg.8efc91b655dc06a02b56ef6625322956.jpg

Alpine MRV-F407 4 channel amplifier that I had lying around....

07.jpg.abdfac0e2ce2d30fdfb66a87007310aa.jpg

Installed in boot floor

08.jpg.b54f215a4ba9b23a42a263e111e94988.jpg

Stealth :D Used a speaker grill and rubber trim to create ventilation for the amplifier and air flow for the subwoofer.

Set the low-pass crossover to about 75Hz: now sounds very good! For some reason the treble seems very over-pronounced from the tweeters so requires reducing them in a graphics equaliser to balance the sound (at least to my ears).

Software changes

1. Hal 9k firmware

The XTRONS OE firmware is a bit so-so. Hooray for opensource android: Hal 9k firmware fixed a slightly sluggish user interface and added some useful features like screen lock and so forth.

Link here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-software-development/rom-hal9k-rom-3-mtcd-e-head-units-t3847477

2. Automate

Cheap app that replicates the Android Auto interface and therefore looks nice and clean. Can be used on its own, or set as a replacement "Home" UI:

09.jpg.760cab9f27944ced0cce10f916b33f83.jpg

10.jpg.22be835a3e989a33f7cda1ed9ef0d205.jpg

Conclusion

With the above changes, I'm now very happy with the sound. The ability to use spotify and google maps with a slick stable interface is great. With the upgraded software, everything works well and looks good to boot.

Final verdict: 8/10 (everyone loves an arbitrary number!)

For improvement: needs a better screen. Black level isn't very good so there's a fair bit of backlight bleed. Would prefer the ability to reassign what the capacitive buttons do - would have preferred a dedicated 'Music' and 'Maps' button.

Future stuff: 

I haven't really sound deadened anything so I'm sure this would help the sound alot. I'm just a bit lazy to do it but we'll see!

Wondering whether a DSP might help sort out the treble better than the software equaliser. I'm just not sure if this isn't really worth it for the effort / expense.

To end with here's some gratuitous car pics...

11.jpg.7b60b951aeb04af09acc8d5bfd8225a7.jpg

12.jpg.621511cdfe33125358877dae6b2a623f.jpg

For a moment there I thought you'd wired your speaker cables through the fuel tank! 😅

I reckon the focal tweeters are the stronger part of the package, so they come across as a bit forward, what with being on their own on top of the dash and the mids are coming from the bottom of the door. I dialled down the tweeters in the OEM setup too, but that was because they were very harsh on the ears.

3 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

For a moment there I thought you'd wired your speaker cables through the fuel tank! 😅

Yeah of course I did duh... that's what all the pros do round these parts... 

Quick update: I've found a great app called "Neutralizer". It basically plays a test tone at different frequencies, but instead of trying to make the all the tones sound at the same volume, you adjust it until you can just barely perceive each tone (which is firstly more repeatable, and secondly makes allowances for your individual range of hearing).

I've found that this has really equalised the sound and reduced the harsh trebles without making things sound muddy. Hope that helps others with android head units.

I'm still happy with my unit after having it for a year now.  That malaysk ROM I mentioned earlier in the thread was a bit buggy with certain things and I ended up swapping to hal9k rom a while back.  It's definitely a better ROM.  That's a nice clean setup you've done there with the sub.  I wanted to keep the spacesaver in mine so opted for an active pioneer unit which is fixed to the seat back.  The android equaliser isn't that great and a stand alone like an audison bit 10 would be much better.  With the cabin being so noisy though I don't think it's worth the cost for a marginal improvement.