mattt

Full respray?

Well i've given my red GT86 a clean after a very long spell of awful weather and OMG so many new stone chips to add to the ones already there :(:(

Just trying to weigh up patching them all up vs. a full respray. Has anyone had a full respray and what sort of price range would I expect to pay? I guess having the paint protected as far as is possible afterward is as important to me to try and minimise stone chips in the future if I went down this route.

Appreciate the shared experience

After shopping around for a full repray on a 350z last year i think you’ll be looking at a minimum of 2k for a full respray.

1 minute ago, Lmc said:

After shopping around for a full repray on a 350z last year i think you’ll be looking at a minimum of 2k for a full respray.

Surely paint correction and a full detail would be far cheaper? I think @TTR had a quote recently for ~£700 and his paintwork is rather dreadful

31 minutes ago, SimonB95 said:

Surely paint correction and a full detail would be far cheaper? I think @TTR had a quote recently for ~£700 and his paintwork is rather dreadful

£700 for the detail and coating, £400 for front/rear bumpers and wings respray. 

2 hours ago, TTR said:

£700 for the detail and coating, £400 for front/rear bumpers and wings respray. 

Thanks for this - I'll give it some thought. First I'm taking her to tuningdevelopments for their NA package haha!

I had a respray done on various parts of my Subaru for £700, included front & rear bumpers, 2 of the 4 arches due to rust and the new boot lid+spoiler. Previous owner also had the leading edge of the roof and bonnet resprayed previously for stone chips.

It would be best to get parts resprayed rather than the whole car but at the same time you got to weigh up whether it's worth it when it will inevitably happen again.

Are there any downsides of doing a full (body) respray? Does general quality of paint differ than what comes out of factory?

I'm weighing in doing it, but only body, without engine bay etc.
I'm assuming that it wouldn't matter as (at least on ginger cars) the interior parts already have a different paint - not metallic, and there wouldn't be any difference, right?

14 hours ago, kacpr said:

Are there any downsides of doing a full (body) respray? Does general quality of paint differ than what comes out of factory?

The general thing you have to weigh up is cost vs quality. When going to the bother of a full body respray you want it to come out well and that costs alot. Getting it done in the same colour can be done cheaper as it requires less prep work but then you want to make sure it's being done by someone with a great reputation so the finish is top notch.