Just wanted to give a quick update. Have had my 86 for 2 weeks now, and i am really happy with it :). So far the positives for me are, driving position, steering wheel feel, general feel of the car, and the mpg isnt to bad either, the led headlights are spot on too for night driving.

The only criticism i have had is from the wife when she has to put the shopping in the boot, as its an only car i have to use it for all duties.

My previous car was a 330bhp focus and i haven't missed the power, so much so that my long term plan was to turbo this but i may not bother with that. I will definitely be sorting out the manifold and remap but at the moment i am not feeling the need for any more power. Maybe some grippier tyres as the the stock ones arent the best but i know that is a characteristic of the car but even so think tc was cutting power when changing from 2nd-3rd in the dry. 

Quick question to all you that have lowered yours, how do you manage to get in and out? as i find it plenty low enough as it is, just not to keen on the massive arch gap.

everyone of my friends who i have taken out have been surprised at how nice it is to drive and how it doesn't actually feel as slow as the numbers suggest and they've all been converted after mocking my choice

now i just have to find a big empty space where i can get used to the feel of sliding safely 

You misposted twice. If there is no option to delete redundant thread, maybe ask admins to remove one.

As for boot .. it may fit much more stuff, if you fold down back of rear seats. I wouldn't drive this way all the time though, due much more noise in cabin, if done so.

I'm used to car stock power and don't need more. As for grippier tires .. imho worth first wear down stock primacies, to learn/familiarize with car at lower grip levels, and move up to grippier as next tire set.

It's low stock, maybe better do like sane people and leave car not lowered even more then that? While with stock height i can 99% cases drive normally, i wouldn't want to turn that to 95%, with increasing cases where it won't go over something (eg. kerb, for parking in some such places, or scraping underside of bumper on ice/snow road with deep wheel trails).

Yes, i'm in 3rd year of ownership, and still love this car and think that it is lot of car for money. Only comparable cars to it are too impractical (mx5), too old (S2K/nissans), or too expensive (if not the buying (if used), then upkeep/maintenance (caymans/lotuses/M biemers).

Sliding .. rather try visiting track. Imho trackdays are much more fun, and also there will be less spendings on wearables (drifting eats tires a lot). I decided to leave drifting for winter, for ice tracks, where everything wears/gets used up less, tires, brakes, fuel ..