Sign in to follow this  
infernouk

Removing interior plastics scratches?

Hey guys, 

so continuing my spree of internal and external damage, it appears my girlfriends bag has taken a slice at my glovebox door. 

I can lightly feel the scratch so it’s not just a scuff. Can this be resolved? Or do I neee to buy a new glovebox door or something? 

Cheers for any help here, getting really tired about how easily the car collects scratches and chips! 

Image attached 

44A1A7B5-7F78-4AF7-90A1-279EA7C09075.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

This is why I don't have a girlfriend. 

Yeah foundation all over my doorcards too, not impressed 

but yeah I’m hoping there’s something to sort this atleast 

What the hell did she scratch if with? I hope you had words! I’d have a sense of humour failure if that happened to me!!!

Plastics are hard to fix. If you can’t rub it down to a point you are happy with then I’d think the best course of action would be to get one from eBay from a car being scrapped. 

I’d then be a d1ck about it with the girlfriend to make the point about her carelessness!!!

4 minutes ago, McDude said:

What the hell did she scratch if with? I hope you had words! I’d have a sense of humour failure if that happened to me!!!

Plastics are hard to fix. If you can’t rub it down to a point you are happy with then I’d think the best course of action would be to get one from eBay from a car being scrapped. 

I’d then be a d1ck about it with the girlfriend to make the point about her carelessness!!!

She doesn’t listen to me when I say be careful, I’ll just have to buy a new glove box I think : / 

Once a year my in-laws pile into the car with an absurd amount of luggage. Even so, not scratched to this degree!

Watch out for that classic failure mode of glove boxes, the snapping of the plastic rod that limits how far the door opens, and optionally damps its descent.

My girlfriend knows how OCD I am about the car so would never do this. Any big bags have to go in the boot. I think a new glovebox door would be your best bet. 

New glovebox is a bit excessive. The quickest fix is to run a heat gun on it. It won't fix the scratch but it will turn the plastic the same colour as the non scratched areas. But i'd probably wipe it down as it could rub off if it's light. As you can feel it you will probably want to go the heat gun route.

I second the heat gun option, be very careful with the heat though, it's better to keep bigger distance and elongate exposure rather than getting up close and risking overheating the plastic. If you do overheat it too much the effect will last a couple of weeks after which you'll observe a lot of fading and marking on the cured plastic. I'd also treat it with olive oil as the last step. You want this to be your last resort if rubbing away doesn't fix it.

4 minutes ago, infernouk said:

Got any before and after? Expensive with that £5 postage!

Unfortunately I don't, but I had a similar scratch to yours just below the boot release button. Worked well. £17 is not a lot considering you'll be able to keep using it over time on other things :) 

2 hours ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Unfortunately I don't, but I had a similar scratch to yours just below the boot release button. Worked well. £17 is not a lot considering you'll be able to keep using it over time on other things :) 

cheers found it here for £10 seems the same stuff!

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/xerapol-plastic-polish-plastic-polish--scratch-remover-1x50g-tube-4746-p.asp

will return with results!

On 4/10/2018 at 1:11 PM, Lucas@PartBox said:

so i placed an order and they sent me this orange one instead of the green on the website, i assume this isnt for the job and i should return it? the green seems hard to find vs the orange 

Photo 12-04-2018, 19 54 09.jpg

16 hours ago, infernouk said:

so i placed an order and they sent me this orange one instead of the green on the website, i assume this isnt for the job and i should return it? the green seems hard to find vs the orange 

Photo 12-04-2018, 19 54 09.jpg

No idea to be honest! Does it say what it's for on the box anywhere?

I have used it to remove light swirls/scratches from a headunit display and also the clear plastic in front of the speedometer but they were very light scratches caused by cleaning (not me).

Could give it a try. It will require a lot of elbow grease.