DavidSpratt

Do you think this door is repairable or need replacing?

So I've had someone reverse into me and they've badly damaged my passenger door. There is a few sharp creases and scratches so the whole door will need prepped and painted.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of having a panel repainted (particularly pearl white) where the paint match is virtually perfect. I'm toying with the idea of a used door to replace it?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated 390e6596bfe7476df900cb4ae9533fe5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It should be repairable. I had similar last year, same colour etc. Fortunately that side of my car was being resprayed under warranty so it only cost me £500 as an extra as whoever dented my door didn't bother to tell me. Interestingly if I wasn't already having the whole side of the car resprayed Toyota said that they would have quoted £1750 to fix it. :o

It should be repairable. I had similar last year, same colour etc. Fortunately that side of my car was being resprayed under warranty so it only cost me £500 as an extra as whoever dented my door didn't bother to tell me. Interestingly if I wasn't already having the whole side of the car resprayed Toyota said that they would have quoted £1750 to fix it.
Thankfully this person did tell me and he's a neighbour so is willing to pay for it. I suppose my dilemma is what will be a better job that will be a best match to the existing paint on the side of the car and since I know the man I'm half reluctant to take it to Toyota to be charged extortionate pricing, plus I don't have the luxury of RRG in NI

Well, I guess the trouble is with having just the door repsrayed is always going to be difficult to match. Though I'm not sure there is such a thing as a perfect colour match with white pearlescent in all honesty, but as long as it's good enough  it's all you can do. I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever whether you get your existing door repaired (preferable option) or put on another door, the issues of matching the paint will still be the same. 

You could try a smart repair first, see if that sorts it as there is no respraying involved then. I tried it on mine but apparently it wasn't perfect so the bodyshop had to skim it to get it right which then cost me extra of course. It's up to your neighbour whether they can cover the bill or put it through their insurance I guess, but obviously you deserve a decent repair .

Well, I guess the trouble is with having just the door repsrayed is always going to be difficult to match. Though I'm not sure there is such a thing as a perfect colour match with white pearlescent in all honesty, but as long as it's good enough  it's all you can do. I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever whether you get your existing door repaired (preferable option) or put on another door, the issues of matching the paint will still be the same. 
You could try a smart repair first, see if that sorts it as there is no respraying involved then. I tried it on mine but apparently it wasn't perfect so the bodyshop had to skim it to get it right which then cost me extra of course. It's up to your neighbour whether they can cover the bill or put it through their insurance I guess, but obviously you deserve a decent repair .
Sorry I should have said a second hand door from another car that is already in pearl white, or the repair.

Would a door from another white car be a match or is there likely to be small differences between examples?

I'm thinking to try another door first, if colour difference is minimal, which can then be returned if not and proceed with trying a repair.

Quickly learning you get more than a just a damaged car when something like this happens

Well it's up to you, but I'd never have thought of changing the door over getting that repaired. I honestly just would not consider that. If it's going to get expensive surely it can go through your neighbour's insurance?  

I don't see why colour should vary really if you do put on a secondhand door, so that should be do able providing you can find one easily enough. 

Sorry not much help, I know! 

Not on my GT86 but a previous car, I have had damage like that repaired. The problem is, once metal has been disfigured like that it will never be 100% again. By that I mean you will be able to tell it has seen a repair. It used to drive me mad on said previous car as you could see the waves in the door in certain lights. If it were me, I think I would go for the replacement door option. 

Thanks for the responses.. knowing that it has been repaired and being reminded of that is what is pushing me down the replacement option but then again you can never be sure of condition when buying off a distant seller. There's one on ebay I might try before going down the repair option.

Thanks for your help everyone!

If you get it repaired properly which may take more than a smart repair as in my case, then it's fine. You'd never know my door had been repaired looking at it. The point of the extra expense was to get it skimmed and fix all the other small car park dents in the door of which there were several. I was having the whole side of my car resprayed anyway as some corrective work, so I had no problems with matching it. 

Good luck buying a replacement as I have never bought replacement part that didnt really need respray. These parts come off salvage cars and the cars are not the most looked after around yards with forklifts. Its also hard to ship door if you are not willing to collect so most likely one corner will be bend/dented.

I am not sure who people are using on resprays as my bodyshop in Poland that charges me around £70-100 a panel never had problem matching and blending any pear white. (GT86 & 370z repaired in last couple years.)

The only time the colour wont match is if the painter is blind or just spraying based on colour code and not matching the shade. That kind of painter I would try to avoid by all means... 

A kind person hit my passenger door and done a runner so not an insurance job, the door was repaired and the whole side of the car was resprayed to ensure that there was no miss-match. Paint on your car can change over time and the latest batch of your colour may not be an exact match. When getting quotes get two one for an insurance job and one for none insurance it is surprising the difference.

I had the almost exact same thing happen, they pulled the dent and then filled it to make it perfect. You’d never know it had been repaired. Matching the paint will be trickier than sorting the dent and you’ll have to do that whether your repair the door, buy one second hand or get a new one from Toyota. I can’t think of a good reason to buy a new door when you’ll never know after paint has gone on.