Samwise

Bringing an 86 back from the dead

4 hours ago, Adamd said:

Looking awesome.

How does the wrap work with the arches and rivets - will they wrap the metal, and the arches seperately and then they'll be re-mounted? Or wrapped over the joints?

Cheers! they'll wrap the arches and the body seperately and then re-mount the arches. I don't mind the rivet-on look so i'm more than happy with that otherwise I would have moulded  the arches on to the body.

3 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Really good choice of colour Sam . I love Red. If you get a chance, have a look at 3M Satin Smouldering Red. It has a nice Matt finish. 

In terms of costs, how much are Monster charging you? and are they doing door shuts to keep the nice look flowing? 

Cheers, i've seen some really nice satin colours actually but for me i think a gloss tone does it that little bit more.

Monster Wraps are charging me £3k to wrap the car including Door Shuts, Boot shut (which i requested) and a Ceramic coat. They've advised it'll take them 2 weeks as they've advised it'll take them longer than normal due to the nature of the car but hopefully with the prep work i've done (i'm even making them a small manual for all the little Quirks in removing the body panels) it should make the job as smooth as possible for them.

17 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

Why the ceramic coat on top of the wrap?

It was something they offered, essentially for free (so they can take some nice glossy pics of the car for social media I imagine as its a change from the usual audi, bmw or tesla) but it'll make the car easier to wash in the future - more protection is never a bad thing but isn't as much functional on a wrap rather than paint.

17 hours ago, Samwise said:

Cheers! they'll wrap the arches and the body seperately and then re-mount the arches. I don't mind the rivet-on look so i'm more than happy with that otherwise I would have moulded  the arches on to the body.

Good to hear :)

I've always been interested in the price difference between wraps and resprays.  I've never had a quote for a wrap on my cars so I've never had a reference point for comparison, however your price gives me that. 

Price wise for your wrap, does that include the labour for them to remove the glass, aerial, door handles door seals, trim, bumpers lights etc?  Is there any major bodywork for them to do other than removing any minor car park dings etc?

Reason I ask is my full respray with a colour change(Going for a gloss, non metallic colour) including door/boot shuts and as much of the engine bay as they can without removing the engine is costing less than that but I have removed all those bits I have just listed above excluding the windscreen/rear 1/4 windows and rear windscreen as they have a glass guy doing that as part of the price.  I'm paying £2000, its the same company that have painted two other cars for me in the past so I know their quality is spot on.     

Thanks everyone for all the recent kind comments. I'm really looking forward to getting the car back to a "finished" state and getting it out and about!

Before I take it off to get wrapped this Saturday i might stop by Fuel in the morning for an hour or 2 for a coffee and chat with some friends. I'll confirm what my plans are and definitely let people here know if so!
But for now, another update:

A bit of a small one in a way but last week before getting the car back in one piece I wanted to change my headlights and install and AC delete kit while I had the front bumper off.

With the AC delete i've been contemplating it as i've never actually got the system fillled up in the 2 years i've owned the car so why bother having all the gear, pipes, etc making a mess of the engine bay, blocking the radiator or taxing the engine if it's not doing anything, plus I might be able to sell the condenser and recoup some of the costs and eventually sell the AC delete (When i remove & sell the engine) and again recoup soem of the costs.
So with that in mind I went ahead and purchased the AC delete kit from ICP https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/par...y=&searchPart=

The process of Installing the delete along with removing the condenser and AC pipes was reallly easy, so easy infact that i forgot to take any pictures but covered it in my latest video.

Following the AC delete and went ahead and changed my headlights, Opting to swap my rather expensive Valenti headlights for a set of Vlands with a HID kit. My main reason for this was that despite the valentis being a great bit of kit and no doubt much better build quality I simply prefer the look of the Vlands. Plus this allows me to sell the Valenti lights!
I don't have a decent before/after comparison but you can see plenty of pictures of my Valenti headlights on previous posts

All of this is covered in my latest video. Give it a watch!

EEawyw2h.jpg
g3awoPhh.jpg

41 minutes ago, choupolo said:

I like look of the VLANDs despite the slightly lesser build quality as you say. I put some on my car recently.

Which HID kit did you go for?

It was from a recent group buy via the facebook groups but i think it was the D2H kit from these guys:

https://www.gtaretrofits.com/shop/vehicle-specific/frs-brz-gt86/2013-frs-vland-specific-hid-kit/

So with the new headlights installed it was time to wrap up the final assembly of the car ready to drive it to Monster Wraps

One thing I wanted to do while putting the car together I wanted to check out to see whether i could lower the car a little further as there's still a gap from the sideskirt to the ground when fully aired out and the answer that?.... NO.

U53rRbFh.jpg

As you can see the chassis is very firmly sitting on the tyre at the front, but it's not the end of the world the car still looks incredible when fully aired out and practically sunken in to the ground with the bodykit hanging a bit lower than the stock body.
With that confirmed I moved on to continue some of the glass fibre work on the diffuser (sorry no pictures, check out the video!) and the final assembly of the car ready to drive to Southampton on Friday.
With the car all back in one piece I couldn't resist driving it out in to the sun, rinsing it off to get rid of any loose dust and taking some pre-wrap beauty shots!

Check out the latest video and the pictures below!

NNwzzYyh.jpg
GAAFdt1h.jpg
TKe6MsHh.jpg

MnzDgXKh.jpg
sgjL3LQh.jpg

That AC delete - when did you buy the kit? Because the website says out of stock. Or do I need to place an order with them?

In my case - I do not use ac at all, so want to get rid of the gear in the engine bay as well. and the raceseng kit is no longer made.

21 minutes ago, Gregski said:

That AC delete - when did you buy the kit? Because the website says out of stock. Or do I need to place an order with them?

In my case - I do not use ac at all, so want to get rid of the gear in the engine bay as well. and the raceseng kit is no longer made.

it was a couple of weeks ago so perhaps I got lucky and grabbed one of their last ones in stock 😯

That kit really looks quite cool in grey with the edges bleeding through. Shame doing it for the whole car would be a huge amount of (probably) very expensive work, think it would really suit the rocket bunny style.

7 minutes ago, Neil-h said:

That kit really looks quite cool in grey with the edges bleeding through. Shame doing it for the whole car would be a huge amount of (probably) very expensive work, think it would really suit the rocket bunny style.

Yeah, there are a few cars with that look but in reality it's either a case of natural (or fake/paint) patina on an old american car or a wrap. There's a few wraps where people make their car look like a race car complete with race fatigue, sratches, rubber marks, etc

aww man the effort put into this REALLY pays off. Looks awesome! 
I was never too sure about the V2 Rocket bunny (all pics i see are either photo-shopped to death or have stupid 'stance' wheels at crazy camber angles) but damn this changes my mind for sure. 

Good work ^^ cant wait to see more!

Totally forgot to do an update since last week but the car is now with Monster wraps!

Drove it all the way there without any problems ofcourse, and got plenty of looks on the motorway, it was good fun.

Got a little picture to mark the occasion - I hope the car turns out as "Spiicey" as the Porsche next to it lol

P1ZBJBwh.jpg

and a small video they put up on instagram as they started the wrap, you can see at the end the colour of the wrap as they've begun doing the door jams smile.gif

I can't wait to see it either. Will be popping up there early next week to drop off the freshly painted rear diffuser as well as a new set of boot hinges (the OEM ones on the car are red ofcourse, from the factory and I can't expect them to wrap something as intricate as a boot hinge so i picked up some new black OEM ones) so when i'm there i'll be getting a sneak peak of how the car is can't wait!

for now there's been some more little videos:

https://i.imgur.com/UPZ6d1J.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/3vHn6xb.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/upGWaTJ.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/NPzT9fI.mp4

It appears they're actually going further with it than originally discussed taking the wrap all the way under the widebody and even wrapping over the sections of the cut arches that have a layer of underseal around them. Ofcourse in reality this doesn't matter either way as the arches cover all of that up but assuming that it doesn't lift or peel at all near the underseal it's good to know no pesky eyes will be able to peek up my arches (that's quite the euphemism) and see the original red under them.

12 hours ago, Samwise said:

for now there's been some more little videos:

https://i.imgur.com/NPzT9fI.mp4

Tell you what, that last video is pure filth. The way the the wrap catches the light on the rear quarter panel is quite something. Reckon you should have a seriously good looking car when they’re finished. 😍👍

The time is nigh to get the car back from it's wrap, just a bit of a shame that the weather is so shocking this week!

I'll be saving posting any pics up until i've had a chance to get it outside and make a little "reveal" video but also because I really want to take it down to Fuel Coffee house just outside Henfield This Saturday (they open at 11am) to give a chance to have a little meet with friends and anyone that's interested in seeing it in the flesh before i post up any videos/pictures online, so if you'd like to pop down for a coffee and to see the car, I hope to see you there!

But in the meantime i've made a few small videos for my youtube channel. The first couple of videos were a 2 part vlog just going over the history of the car, the repair, the costs, etc which of course anyone reading this has likely already seen so I won't bore you with a link to that but the other shows off the completion of the custom fibreglass work on the Rocket Bunny diffuser.

It was quite a long process which wasn't without it's headaches for both myself and the painter but i'm thrilled with how it turned out, the idea i had in mind coming to reality really pays off.
After getting the Surround of the "V" light fibreglassed in to rocket bunny diffuser it was largely a case of tweaking the position, fixing any cracks that occured from that and then building up the surrounding area with Fibreglass based filler and eventually fine body filler. Doing so allowed me to sand back and form the shapes that I was looking for around the edges of the light so it looked as intentional as possible.

When it was close to completion i then passed it off to a friend of mine who wanted to finish up the filler work and then paint it gloss black, unfortunately for the both of us my fibreglass and filler materials reacted quite badly with his paint which I know can be quite a common issue for painters when dealing with someone elses' work which was why he wanted to finish the filler work himself but unfortunately I think it was a bit late at that point as the bulk of the material had been added by me.
Either way some fantastic work on their end they were able to get it complete and it came out looking incredible, super smooth and in a really glassy gloss black finish.

I delivered it down to Monster wraps and i'll see it next when I get the car back!

Video of the diffuser work here:

xCTbfJDh.jpg
rfNoXqGh.jpg

k1FU58Qh.jpg

yvfcCaRh.jpg
DFfYqKyh.jpg
xohuXg5h.jpg

Just got it back today, so not trying to be too much of a tease but here's a little preview to wet people's appetite!

Going to take it out over the rest of the week with my younger brother who has a DSLR and small drone to try and get some good looking video footage and shots of it before posting it up in full colour along with a little reveal video.

I'll still be down at Fuel this Saturday come rain or shine so if you want to head out for a coffee, catch up and to see the car I hope to see you there! 😁

4vcpE6Th.jpg

Well it was great to be back at Fuel, and to see Sam's car in the flesh, and the Trueno too. Glad they were parked together!

I am sure Sam will have plenty of photos of the event. Shame the sun was not out cos that wrap will pop in the sunshine!! Well done Sam!