Samwise

Bringing an 86 back from the dead

9 hours ago, Samwise said:

Way ahead of you there Martin 😁 I've laready got myself a set of quickjacks exactly the same as what you pictured. I'm itching to get them set up and the car up in the air on them! Hopefully next weekend I can do just that. new wheels on, new brakes on, the lot!

Interested to hear which one you went with and how you get on?  I have been looking at a set of these for a while but never pulled the trigger on a set. 

Small update for anyone interested in the workshop.
Been spending most evenings after working going round there to tidy/sweep up, build myself a workbench and set up some new lighting all while waiting for the landlord to get a proper door installed - Eletric roller shutter being installed tomorrow!

Just in time too so I can get the 86 moved to it's new home, set up my quick jacks and start working away. Not going to have much else to do over the next month or more thanks to our impending doom cutting me off from work but atleast i've spent all the money for parts already! (silver linings and all that)

Anyway pictures!

4JH6SlJh.jpg7OMKVgKh.jpg
IHPgvGxh.jpg

20 minutes ago, will300 said:

Is that a coffee machine and tv that I can see? 😄

If so, looking like a very functional workshop indeed.

They are indeed, had to get my priorities straight!.. there might even be a big pub-style bottle cooler one day soon if i'm able to get one for free 😋

5 minutes ago, James18 said:

Might have already asked you this somewhere else but @Samwise have you bought the V2 diffuser also?

Have you thought about what you're going to do for a fog light?

I mention it in the video actually :) I'm going to cut out the "V" light section and glass fibre it in to the V2 diffuser. Having owned a glass fibre bodied car in the past time not too bad at it and it shouldnt be too tricky with some patience.

22 minutes ago, Samwise said:

I mention it in the video actually :) I'm going to cut out the "V" light section and glass fibre it in to the V2 diffuser. Having owned a glass fibre bodied car in the past time not too bad at it and it shouldnt be too tricky with some patience.

That does look good! You're a braver man than me 😂

Good luck with the rest of the build, looks great so far. Excited to see how it finishes 

So Another update and another youtube video.

So I hadn't driven the 86 for a little while, banning myself from doing it in a way as there was a bit of an issue with it that It a little embarrassing to be honest.. the rear tyres are totally bald!
And that's not to say i've been going out to my local roundabouts to hoon about but that since my rear toe has been out of alignment as a result of lowering the car it's totally eaten away at my tyres and I had no idea it was so bad, these were brand new in July!

N7j1fD4h.jpg

So i'm finally going to get this sorted by installing a new set of rear suspension arms and by getting a proper professional alignment once all is said and done!
but it wasn't quite so easy as while I was installing my lovely new arms I ran in to a problem with the trailing arm.. they didn't fit.

saE3DCUh.jpgWEFSJsjh.jpg

You can maybe see from those pictures that the arms were making contact with the hub before I was able to get a bolt fitted fully.
I reached out to driftworks who got back to me within Minutes and although they weren't able to offer some immediate advice as they've not had reports of any issues from other kits they've sold they agreed to open a return for the parts to investigate and offer a solution. I'll be getting those sent off when I can but for now i've re-fitted the original trailing arm.

MJCJkPch.jpg

it all looks so much better under there now. I can get the toe aligned nice and easily with the new toe arms and I can even dial out the infamous amount of negative camber that was on the rear as a result of being low.
As said I documented it all in my latest youtube video which you can check out here

Another Week and another 86 update!

Been installing my big brake kit on the car this week. Only really managed to get the front end done however as it was a bit of an up-hill battle against Siezed brake flare nuts, a lack of penetrating fluid and flare nut spanner (which I eventually resolved) and tiny little <£1 parts in the hand brake assembly braking on me when I tried to remove the rear disks.

As you can see I got the front installed and they look fantastic! Should be able to get the rears finished in the next few days, the whole system bled and I can move on to installing my new wheels! Can't wait.

Crxiv9Rh.jpg

6 minutes ago, james_ly said:

Enjoying the videos, they remind me of the DedicationBlog gt86 build vlogs 👍

Haha cheers! I'm really glad to hear people are enjoying them. I'd definitely have a mate over to help as well if i was allowed but you know... 😅

I used to watch Dedication blog back in the day before I picked up the 86 as a write off so they were helpful to me back then as well. Filming and editting has quickly become a new skill to learn which is good fun, if not incredibly time consuming! I spend more time eddting all the "umm" and "uuuuh" moments than actually working on the car sometimes!

21 minutes ago, dom2497 said:

Loving the updates. What's your feedback on the quick Jack's?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheers :)

Well I love them so far, but i've technically only used them "once" the car has been up on the quickjacks for almost 2 weeks now and i've left it there resting safely on the mechanical locks without any worries. The Hydraulic lines are dettached and the pump "stored away" (In perfect - trip over range) My only tiny gripe with them is that for us in the UK they run off 12v so you'd need to connect them to your car battery or maybe purchase a spare battery, inverter, etc. I just clip them too my 86's battery and leave the car on charge while im at the unit.

Gives plenty of room for me to get under the car even on a garage creeper and I can imagine most jobs will be easy under there thanks to them. I'll likely be changing my Gearbox and diff Oil over the next few weeks thanks to the added access.

The only last thing to note is that it's worth picking up some pinch weld jack blocks for them, the ones that Quickjacks themselves sell are a ludicrous £80 for the set but i've picked up some cheap ones made for a normal car jack and it's been sat on them quite happily all this time. In general they take a good few minutes to get under the car and set up/lined up and parallel with each other as that's quite important otherwise the car will move about when it's lifting.

Overall im really pleased with them!

This week I got the issues resolved with the handbrake shoes by fitting the new pins. While I was there I also fit some new longer 63mm wheel studs before continueing work on the rear brakes. I had to cut away some of the dust shield to get them to fit but finally they were on and looking awesome! All i had to do then was bleed the system and it was good to go, Nice.

Next video will be showing off and fitting the new wheels, can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zIPc8IbQg