Daninplymouth

changes over the years

Hi, i am now on the look out for my 1st GT86 but weren't to sure on the differences over the years.

Am i right in thinking that the 2015+ have redesigned coilpacks that are less likely to fail? if so are they really that delicate on the older models? this wll be my only car so want to make it as reliable as possible, well before the mods start at least :)

i know about the shark fin aerial and slight interior changes. does the 15plates onwards have revised suspension too or is that just the 17plates?

There was a revision I think it was in 2015 in regard to the coil packs. They aren't hugely fragile and they just thrown an EML, but changing them is the only way of stopping it keep coming on if you remove the error code. It seems to happen when you drive it very hard. I've had three in 111K miles go. It's more of an annoyance than anything else as they don't actually fail as such. So it's not like you'll be running on three cylinders, you just get the EML on. The damping was changed to Sachs dampers in 2015, but you'd never notice the difference between that and earlier cars. The 2017 has revised damping, lower spring rates and bigger ARB's. All to give a better ride more than anything else. 

Don't worry they are reliable! 

And welcome aboard. :)

MY2015 IIRC also may have some engine internals strenghtened. BTW, worth double check, which-year-model car actually is, as first registration date often is not which year model it is/when it's manufactured. For example my is 2014-03, but still has expensive aircon gas which was changed to normal one in later 2014 ones.

Thanks for the replies. I have test drove a 2013 and 2017. The 17s are out of budget though. Just wasn’t sure if it was worth paying the extra for 15 onwards over a 13. Probably not to me I’d think as I plan on modding it pretty soon

In reality there isn't much in the way of 'upgrades' with the Zenki cars, so I'd say not. I'd go more on condition than anything else and of course if you are buying a car that is nearing the spark plug (60K) or fuel filter (80K) service that it has been done or you get a discount off the price for it. 

It's also a bonus to not have a TPMS on the pre-2014 cars. 

My first 86 was a 2014. Current one is a 2016 which I got for 15000, with 30k miles on board.

I can tell there is a significant difference in handling. The car is more planted, steering is more precise. Much better with stock suspensions than the the previous one.

Here is an article that I totally agree with in my recent experience: https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/2015-toyota-86-sharper-stiffer-43065/

And the relevant text:

The Toyota 86’s chief engineer explained the changes to the car’s damping rates and rear suspension change the way the car interacts with the road, resulting in “even better steering stability and a more communicative handling. 
“We decided to change the way how suspension parts - including the rear shock absorbers - are attached to the chassis. This increases body rigidity, hence adds to better handling stability and response,” said Tada.

“Shock absorbers were also retuned. We used a new technology for stabilising damping force, and we improved friction control and responsiveness,” he added.

The car now gives the driver “that extra bit of control, especially when the car is driven on the limit,” said Tada, who also confirmed a handful of “subtle” cosmetic changes will distinguish the 2015 models from their progenitors.

2015 models had the dampers replaced for Sachs, a shark fin aerial and a more convincing looking carbon effect dash panel. Plenty sure there were some minor other bits that had been changed too. Mine is a 2015 and hasn't been affected by any recall either.