JakeGT86

Condensation in my Taillight!

Not sure where to post this so I’ll just pop it in the general chat. As you can see from the picture below my right taillight is in perfect condition. However my left one is full of condensation. I would think about replacing both if my right one wasn’t in great condition but in a way unfortunately it’s perfect. I was wandering what solutions people have come up with for any similar problems! 

5DC7F2D0-0CA1-4EF7-9A31-BA8870E34082.jpeg

Hi Jake, a lot of people end up switching to aftermarket tail lights such as Valentis (there were some up for sale on Facebook a couple of days ago for £150).

alternatively I found that when I had condensation in my lights I took them off and left them in the airing cupboard overnight which cleared it straight out, however you probably need another set of lights to put in whilst they’re in anyway. 

A replacement gasket is cheaper than new lights. Best to just dry it out and get it correctly sealed (as above), or get Toyota to do it if in warranty.

Thanks for the reply guys, if I can find valenti taillights for under 150 then I would be interested for sure so if anyone knows of anyone selling them then please leave a link below. In the time being then yeah I’m going to take them apart and see what I can do. Is there a guide on this forum for that somewhere???

5 hours ago, willfmair said:

Hi Jake, a lot of people end up switching to aftermarket tail lights such as Valentis (there were some up for sale on Facebook a couple of days ago for £150).

alternatively I found that when I had condensation in my lights I took them off and left them in the airing cupboard overnight which cleared it straight out, however you probably need another set of lights to put in whilst they’re in anyway. 

That's what I used to do but I've done it so much I've chipped all the lacquer under the lights

4 hours ago, JakeGT86 said:

Thanks for the reply guys, if I can find valenti taillights for under 150 then I would be interested for sure so if anyone knows of anyone selling them then please leave a link below. In the time being then yeah I’m going to take them apart and see what I can do. Is there a guide on this forum for that somewhere???

You can't take them apart, just off the car and then dry them out. I bought GasketNinja gaskets from the US which are thicker than OEM and will help.

Youtube is your friend. The lights are only held on by 4 bolts. Just need a flathead screwdriver to pull of the trim clip each side in the boot and an 8mm socket for the bolts.

Thanks again for the reply, I didn’t realised that at first but after watching a few YouTube videos now I’ve realised how easy it is to do so I’ll definitly been doing it soon. Would a hairdryer get rid of the condensation does anyone know?? Hopefully this can fix it easily. 

Whilst off I was thinking about spraying or wrapping the taillights red! So has anyone done this or can off any advice???

15 hours ago, JakeGT86 said:

Whilst off I was thinking about spraying or wrapping the taillights red! So has anyone done this or can off any advice???

Tried wrapping mine, might have been cheap wrap but gave up and went for light covers in the end. Spraying has mixed results, if you're good at spraying things then go for it.

48 minutes ago, knightryder said:

Tried wrapping mine, might have been cheap wrap but gave up and went for light covers in the end. Spraying has mixed results, if you're good at spraying things then go for it.

My warranty doesn’t cover taillights, it’s just for general wear and tear so that’s why I’ve chose to handle it myself, send me luck I know!  I’ll pass on the wrap then, so what are taillights cover and how much are they???

Are you sure on warranty? When i had condensation, i thought it's simplest to just clean/dry it & replace gasket .. but dealership replaced both light & gasket for me when mine still had warranty.

I brought my car 2nd hand as it was an old finance vehicle. It was from a Toyota franchise but the warranty with it is proper picky. For empale my battery wasn’t covered as it isn’t classified as wear and tear.

2 hours ago, JakeGT86 said:

I brought my car 2nd hand as it was an old finance vehicle. It was from a Toyota franchise but the warranty with it is proper picky. For empale my battery wasn’t covered as it isn’t classified as wear and tear.

The manufacturer's warranty covers anything except wear and tear on the car, including lights and the battery. If your car is less than 5 years old it is covered, regardless of who sold it you and what they said.

According the the government website, your car is a May 2013 registration, so it should be covered under Toyota warranty.

I wouldn't have much faith in average Toyota mechanic not over tightening the next set, best fix is remove light 4 bolts and a electrical connector dry out (airing cupboard over night or similar) and refit, dont do them up too tight, as it's the over crushing of the foam gasket why they let water in. 

I bought a cheap sheet of rubber, used the old gasket as a template and cut out two new rubber ones. Dried the lights out in airing cupboard then refitted. No issues. You can tighten them harder as the rubber doesn’t deform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk