Sign in to follow this  
infernouk

Light scratch / keying damage on side of car removal?

So in another of my now bi-weekly posts about my car being vandalised, this time i looked at my car door to discover a very feint line running all the way along the wing of the car, wasnt there when i cleaned the car last friday, so its fresh. 

The scratch appears to be light, i cant feel it, just see it. It runs the length of 1 side of the car. Here are some pics but its a little hard to capture with the cars shine, hopefully it portrays it ok, can this be removed with a polish machine or something?

Kvtayyrh.jpg

bGIJobGh.jpg

Probably not key damage if you can't feel it. Likely done by a twig down some lanes or something. Clay bars do wonders at getting rid of these I find, then if you can still see it hit it with a machine polisher.

3 minutes ago, rob275 said:

Probably not key damage if you can't feel it. Likely done by a twig down some lanes or something. Clay bars do wonders at getting rid of these I find, then if you can still see it hit it with a machine polisher.

Yeah i really hope its twigs but i dont drive in rural areas so i cant see how/where 

I dont own a claybar but i do own a machine polisher so can i just hit it with that right away?

If not rural driving it tends to be people squeezing between past your car in car parks and they have a coat with a zip etc that drags along the paint. Or a handbag... Drives me up the wall. My car got driven in to the other day, has left a small scuff on the rear bumper - need to get the DA on that...

yeah i always have to park in tight carparks and live in a poor area with careless people so i always check my doors when i get back to the car, its just frustrating as i took a front bumper hit last week and now this...

Claybar only removes contamination stuck to the paint, it will not remove scratches. Will need a DA or hand polish to remove.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, sam534 said:

Claybar only removes contamination stuck to the paint, it will not remove scratches. Will need a DA or hand polish to remove.

+1

As a rule of thumb, if you run your fingernail over it and it catches its too deep to polish out. If you can't feel it you are all good.

17 hours ago, sam534 said:

I've removed light marks myself numerous times with a clay bar so they can, it totally depends on what the mark was caused by. Either way it's always best to clay it first to decontaminate. As he can't feel it at all, there's hope its very minimal. But he's said it's not caused by twigs so i'd wager he does need a polisher on this one :)

I've removed light marks myself numerous times with a clay bar so they can, it totally depends on what the mark was caused by. Either way it's always best to clay it first to decontaminate. As he can't feel it at all, there's hope its very minimal. But he's said it's not caused by twigs so i'd wager he does need a polisher on this one
That will be stuff left on the paint of the car in that case rather than actual damage to the clear coat.