Sign in to follow this  
HellRaiser1st

ecu and remote entry fuse keeps blowing

Hi,

I own a gt86 for a year and a half now and i had no problems with it until 2 moths ago. I went to the dealer to get some new tires as they had an offer 3 tires + 1 free i parked the car went inside, ordered the tires the mechanic came to move the car and the car would not start. everything was working battery power to fuel pump dash, headlight... just the starter would not kick in. they had it in the shop for 2 months now and cant figure it out apparently my ecu and remote entry ecu fuse keeps blowing, resulting in frying my original ones. They replaced mine under warranty but it keeps happening again when they tested it. Toyota Mechanics believe its a short circuit on one of the wires on the main harness but i doubt it. the only electrical modification related that i done to the car are the fog-light bulbs, i replaced them with LED bulbs same size same dimensions same shape as OEM but LED. 

Has anyone on this forum ever had or heard of any similar problems on  the 86? if so can you give me some pointers as im a bit annoyed now for 2 months they couldn't find it and they are puzzled as to what is causing this issue :( 

i know, toyota is puzzled as well. I heard of some frs cars in the US having problems similar after installing led fog lights but toyota keeps saying its on a different circuit the ecu and foglights... so i don't know what to make of it, warranty will cover it but i miss my car 2 months now have past :( 

I cannot see how changing the fog light bulbs for LED's could have any effect whatsoever. Maybe put them back to stock? You never use foglights anyway IME. Reckon I've used them about three or four times in five years. 

i used them a lot as i mostly drive at night and i never use the high beam as my eyes adjust easier to oncoming traffic lights if i stay on low beam and foglights instead of high beam. also the oem ones were quite yellow the led ones are as white as the headlights so it looks better as well. i've seen some people having problems with the clutch sensor, but that still does not explain the ecu fuse blowing every time.

The problem is, having front foglights on just blinds oncoming traffic and does nothing to help you see really. I would say you make the problem worse for oncoming traffic if you have fitted even brighter foglights.