Sign in to follow this  
infernouk

Widebody Queries...

Hey guys, i know its a mixed opinion kind of thing, but i love the wide body look (too much NFS growing up) I know that you can get the replica kits in the UK for around 1500. Though after watching youtube vids, theres a fair bit of hacking apart the wheel arches to install it. 

Does this totally ruin the value of the car? I assume it makes it super limited for selling on.

Anyone around with one of these kits who can speak to its total install cost inc labour, quality, and effects on value?

Appreciate it, at this moment its a pipe dream but I want to see if its worth perusing 

I personally think putting a wide bodykit like the Rocket Bunny replicas that people do drastically reduces the amount of people who would want to buy it as to get it to look right generally means it's going to be pretty low and fairly impractical. It takes it away from the whole daily driver kind of thing and really I think makes it only appeal to those who want a show car rather than a car that they will enjoy driving hard. It then becomes all about the show rather than the go. Getting these replica kits to fit right generally seems to involve a whole load of fettling and of course once you've hacked away at the wheel arches there is no goin back. 

So I would say it makes it harder to sell on. 

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

I personally think putting a wide bodykit like the Rocket Bunny replicas that people do drastically reduces the amount of people who would want to buy it as to get it to look right generally means it's going to be pretty low and fairly impractical. It takes it away from the whole daily driver kind of thing and really I think makes it only appeal to those who want a show car rather than a car that they will enjoy driving hard. It then becomes all about the show rather than the go. Getting these replica kits to fit right generally seems to involve a whole load of fettling and of course once you've hacked away at the wheel arches there is no goin back. 

So I would say it makes it harder to sell on. 

this was my thoughts, though i see a lot of people just fitting the side parts and new wheels and lower a little and still drift them etc so assumed they may be usable daily still? 

To be honest my car isnt a daily car, it only gets driven about an hour per week, but i am always concerned about values as any sensible person would be, though i suppose the 2k is better put toward a turbo than cosmetics, i just love the look of the wide body cars and wanted one of my own!

I put it to you that people who want a widebody car are probably more inclined to build it to their own spec, rather than buy a pre-built one from someone else. It also makes the insurance side of things a lot more sketchy, especially for younger drivers.

By all means fulfil your widebody dreams, but don't be under any illusions about how many thousands of pounds it'll cost you in parts, labour and eventual resale. Throwing a tenner on the fireplace every night would be more cost-effective!

27 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

I put it to you that people who want a widebody car are probably more inclined to build it to their own spec, rather than buy a pre-built one from someone else. It also makes the insurance side of things a lot more sketchy, especially for younger drivers.

By all means fulfil your widebody dreams, but don't be under any illusions about how many thousands of pounds it'll cost you in parts, labour and eventual resale. Throwing a tenner on the fireplace every night would be more cost-effective!

yeah its the financial issue that makes me not do it, i think your points are valid. Though im not a young driver (well im youngish at 26) i feel id probably get more from performance mods that can be taken off and re sold than a cosmetic, shame because they are very cool!

Personally I don't see the point, I ended up having my five axis kit riveted to the car and smoothed in but that's as war as I was going to go. It's still reversible, hacking away at a car isn't really. Re-sale will also be drastically affected.

Yeah if you're even thinking about the retail value of your car widebody kits are not the way to go. Look at Adam's car, £50k has gone into that on top of the car itself and it's now to £27k asking.

48 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yeah if you're even thinking about the retail value of your car widebody kits are not the way to go. Look at Adam's car, £50k has gone into that on top of the car itself and it's now to £27k asking.

i should have checked here and bought his before i bought mine! id have had it for 27k at the time but didnt get to the owners forum until after i was an owner

9 hours ago, infernouk said:

i should have checked here and bought his before i bought mine! id have had it for 27k at the time but didnt get to the owners forum until after i was an owner

It was advertised on Pistonheads and elsewhere even before it was posted on here.

Once you modify a car, its market is limited. If it can be put back to stock then a percentage can be recouped by selling on the mods. If you are doing something that can't be returned to stock, then you will lose money on both the mods you paid out on and the value of the car itself.

If you have the money, can afford the loss and it's what you really want, then go for it. The fact you are asking the question though should really be your answer.