VAD17

Carlimits (2019) - 4 person day @ North Weald Airfield

If anyone is interested in doing Carlimits training day in August. Highly recommended by a number of club members!

I have booked my on Wednesday August 28th

2 spaces still available for that day

https://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldtraining&month=20190801

If anyone is interested in doing Carlimits training day in August. Highly recommended by a number of club members!
I have booked my on Wednesday August 28th
2 spaces still available for that day
https://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldtraining&month=20190801

Just booked on, got the last space! Looks like 3 gt86's and one m4 competition in total. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, willclarke said:

Just booked on, got the last space! Looks like 3 gt86's and one m4 competition in total. Looking forward to it!

Very good - looking forward to it. Would be you, Lionel ( @LGE) and me.

I will probably be doing Bedford the day before and will aim to stay close by. Lionel will be staying overnight as well so we would be planning to grab a meal in the evening.

Will find suitable place and may be others would like to join as well.

Are you travelling on the day?

Very good - looking forward to it. Would be you, Lionel ( [mention=3738]LGE[/mention]) and me.
I will probably be doing Bedford the day before and will aim to stay close by. Lionel will be staying overnight as well so we would be planning to grab a meal in the evening.
Will find suitable place and may be others would like to join as well.
Are you travelling on the day?
I would be up for meeting for a meal the night before. I'm only in Braintree

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I would be up for meeting for a meal the night before. I'm only in Braintree

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Any local recommendations?

I may splash out on staying at PitStop at Bishops Storford,

Wild Hart was suggested as a place that can accommodate few of us

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g609066-d1469102-Reviews-WildHart_Restaurant-Bishops_Stortford_Hertfordshire_England.html

Not eaten there personally,

Have eaten at this place a few times, nice, food, plenty of parking, SPELLBROOK LANE EAST, SPELLBROOK, BISHOPS STORTFORD, CM22 7SE

https://www.chefandbrewer.com/pubs/hertfordshire/three-horse-shoes/

Wednesday is burger and a drink for £10

https://www.chefandbrewer.com/pubs/hertfordshire/three-horse-shoes/offers/wednesday/

Not eaten there personally,

Have eaten at this place a few times, nice, food, plenty of parking, SPELLBROOK LANE EAST, SPELLBROOK, BISHOPS STORTFORD, CM22 7SE
https://www.chefandbrewer.com/pubs/hertfordshire/three-horse-shoes/

Wednesday is burger and a drink for £10

https://www.chefandbrewer.com/pubs/hertfordshire/three-horse-shoes/offers/wednesday/

Good option, lets do it there.
Who else is up for this?
Once I know the numbers will book a table

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Read on the joining instructions that they advise pumping your tyres up to the max psi stated on the sidewall? Did you guys do this? Obviously won't do that from cold as no room for pressure increase due to heat!

Read on the joining instructions that they advise pumping your tyres up to the max psi stated on the sidewall? Did you guys do this? Obviously won't do that from cold as no room for pressure increase due to heat!

No, but I started 35psi from cold and have not adjusted it. You dont spend as much time driving as on a track day, so I don't think it goes up as much (but I have not checked tbh)

Some extra pressure helps stabilise the tyres under hard (and bumpy) cornering. It also has the side effect of making the handling sketchier. The surface is fairly slippery anyway, and I was surprised by how little stopping power I had.

A couple of the RX8s that didn't add pressure (or had aftermarket suspension doing funny things?) wore all the tread off the shoulder of the right front tyre. They were going at it hard, but it was a shame to have toasted tyres with good tread in the middle. A few extra psi like Angelina said might not go amiss, depends on wheel camber and what kind of lead boots you wear.

I was thinking about the same thing Will.. we probably could talk about what we want to do with pressures during the dinner.. 

Thanks for the feedback Angelina and nerdstrike :)

I was up at 45 when I did it and was a good thing. You spin off a few times and one of the side effects was that I blew my hose off the idle air valve and the car started stalling and could not idle. If any of you get into this situation, it's a quick fix. Remove the engine plastic cover and you will see a dislodged rubber hose. Connect that back in and put the cover on.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I was up at 45 when I did it and was a good thing. You spin off a few times and one of the side effects was that I blew my hose off the idle air valve and the car started stalling and could not idle. If any of you get into this situation, it's a quick fix. Remove the engine plastic cover and you will see a dislodged rubber hose. Connect that back in and put the cover on.

Thanks for the heads up!

Also blew-off vacuum pipe. The mechanic there fixed it for me, to carry on. Took it to dealership after to clamp it, done under warranty
Well done to claim it under warranty. I thought about it a couple of times. The pipe next to it is clamped using butterfly clip. Just this one is not and vacuum should hold it. I thought about putting a cable tie and left it thinking at least this is proper warning that I was going backwards in a forward gear and the safety system has protected the engine. My theory, not validated by a master technician

As these cars are built for this type of use, l assumed that warranty would cover it. Need to have another session there soon. It is a fantastic experience, now I want to learn more before l take to a track. 

Sorry guys/gals, I have a couple of questions

- I know VAD told me it's not necessary, but did any of you buy insurance for this event?

- I would like some advice on tyres - I only have had this car for a couple of months and it came with the original (circa 2015!) primacy tyres in the front and rear, but someone has replaced only one tyre at the front right - a primacy 3 instead of primacy HP.. I measure the depths and it was ~4mm at the rears and 6-7mm at the fronts.

I was thinking of replacing all 4 with Yoko V105s, but wasn't sure if i should do it before or after the event.. I'm just afraid if i change it before the event I might damage my brand new-ish tyres..

Sorry guys/gals, I have a couple of questions
- I know VAD told me it's not necessary, but did any of you buy insurance for this event?
- I would like some advice on tyres - I only have had this car for a couple of months and it came with the original (circa 2015!) primacy tyres in the front and rear, but someone has replaced only one tyre at the front right - a primacy 3 instead of primacy HP.. I measure the depths and it was ~4mm at the rears and 6-7mm at the fronts.
I was thinking of replacing all 4 with Yoko V105s, but wasn't sure if i should do it before or after the event.. I'm just afraid if i change it before the event I might damage my brand new-ish tyres..
Thanks
1. Insurance is not needed as unlike track days, you are all alone driving it. Cant give away everything but rest assured I was like you before, safe than sorry.
2. Tyres- Primacy 3 is technically the replacement for HP, so not hugely different, just a bit better. When you have a tyre go ( puncture/ sidewall) and have no spare wheel in boot, such choices need to be made based on instant availability in that tyre shop/ roadside assistance.
Good news that across the axle your tyres have same wear as with an LSD it is particularly key for the rears. Overinflate tyres to 45 psi when there to not damage your sidewalls and you will lose about 1.5 mm tread on the day. Definitely don't go with brand new tyres. Hope this helps.

Dont change tyres before Carlimits day. Its quite hard on tyres, you can consider whether you need new ones after the day.

To be clear, it's not just tread wear. You can get lots of little tears in the surface of the tyre from spinning out, and it would be a shame to do it to new tyres. The only obstacles to hit are plastic cones and your ego.