VAD17

Carlimits (2019) - 4 person day @ North Weald Airfield

Would anyone be interested in doing a 4-person day at North Weald Airfield with Carlimits?

Cost is £225 per person

https://carlimits.com/

From the Carlimits website:

Airfield Driver Training Days

Our most popular 2 or 4 person days operate in the safe environment of North Weald Airfield, Essex. Your instructor, Andrew Walsh or another suitably qualified and experienced instructor, will ensure the day is bespoke to your needs, using exercises that lend themselves to a variety of techniques.

For example, on the high speed bend you may experience understeer and oversteer and learn how to correct them, improve your steering, learn balanced and trailing throttle, left foot braking, heel and toe and even how to control the rotation of your car and get it back inline from 90 degrees! We use a circuit around soft cones in the afternoon to put your new techniques into practise and learn even more.

4 spaces usually need to be booked well in advance. Few options below

- May 9th, 2019

- August 27th, 2019

- August 28th, 2019

I'd be up for either of these 3 (August preferred). If we have enough interest (i.e. say 3 agree on the date) we can book a day and then someone else can join later.

FYI this is pretty rough on tyres, particularly the shoulder of the right front. The surface is quite slippery and uneven. Don't do it with a set of pristine PS4s!

On the other hand, the '86 pirouettes beautifully and there's plenty of space to go wrong in.

Its certainty harder on tyres than an "average" track day (at least in my case), but when I did it last year I was lucky to have wet morning and then it progressively dried up, perfect combination imo.

The places actually being booked well in advance.

April does not have days with 4 places available, May has only 9th and 14th (when I was planning to do track day at Brands).

If we have interest for May 14th I can organise that instead. Let me know - respond if you interested and I will check if we can get 4 spaces to make it GT86 exclusive.

In June we have quite a lot of events planned already, July school holidays and I am pretty much out till 2nd half of August.

I would be keen on either Aug 27th or 28th (after August Bank holiday weekend). Appreciate its long into the future, but if we have couple people expressing interest I would organise.

I wouldn't mind doing it couple times this year as I need to learn/ practice to control both understeer and oversteer and quite a few people did it multiple times and recommend highly (Adi did it like 15 times - I can tell after doing passenger laps with him at Donington ).

Let me know whether you would like to join
- May 14th
- Aug 27th or 28th
(2019)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, bassett said:

Interested, would anyone who's done it before mind breaking down the day, is it repeating several corners or also as a circuit to put some laps in?

Here is how I recall my day at Carlimits

We had 4 cars, I was 1st time, 3 other guys were at Carlimits couple times before (one guy with old Golf got exhaust nearly falling off mid afternoon, so for some time it was really just 3 of us). Instructor was Mark Robins

- First we had couple goes at threshold braking;

- Pretty much till lunch it was high speed bend. First Mark would show, then each of us would do it in turn with Mark switching between the cars or observing each from the outside (it was still raining). It was practicing controlling oversteer and understeer. Mark tried to teach me left foot braking to control understeer, but much success with slow learner like me

- After lunch we split with 2 guys doing mainly high speed bend initially while Mark spent more time with me on doing doughnuts and bow ties (too much to process/ learn for me, but would be keen to try it again).

- Then we swapped and I had couple more tried on high speed bend.

- Then Mark put cones and made a mini handling circuit. We had 2 or 3 timed sessions each (fairly short) to wrap up the day.

This is what I think a "beginner" day looks like. Once you do 3+ days you qualify for "advanced" programme, Adi probably can tell more about it.

I found 4 cars day to be pretty good, and at 1/2 cost of 2 car day I think I would rather do 2 of these.

Who's up for a Carlimits day last week of August?

I've done this training 3 or 4 times in the past and it is absolutely brilliant! This was a long time ago though and in an Elise; I didn't find it tough on tyres, but then again it was an Elise which is notoriously good on tyres! The description of the day above is pretty spot on but they will tailor the advice to suit your ability. I have pondered doing this again in the BRZ as you could have a lot of fun on the high speed corner.

I've done this training 3 or 4 times in the past and it is absolutely brilliant! This was a long time ago though and in an Elise; I didn't find it tough on tyres, but then again it was an Elise which is notoriously good on tyres! The description of the day above is pretty spot on but they will tailor the advice to suit your ability. I have pondered doing this again in the BRZ as you could have a lot of fun on the high speed corner.

Am planning to go in the next couple of months with a group of friends. Did you bother trying to source insurance for the day? Insurers happy with track days but not training days. If so who did you use? Tia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am planning to go in the next couple of months with a group of friends. Did you bother trying to source insurance for the day? Insurers happy with track days but not training days. If so who did you use? Tia

I wouldn't bother with insurance for this one. Moris will insure airfield day, but considering there is nothing to hit there (may be a cone), you will not have other cars to hit and excess I don't think its worth it.

I wouldn't bother with insurance for this one. Moris will insure airfield day, but considering there is nothing to hit there (may be a cone), you will not have other cars to hit and excess I don't think its worth it.

Thanks Vad

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, Angelina said:

Thanks Vad

Yes - what Vad said. Nothing to hit and they control the cars so no one is going at the same time so I wouldn't bother.

Who would be interested in Carlimits Airfield training day for 4 cars on August 28th?

I think I will combine it with a track day at Snetterton on August 29th (and stay overnight near Norwich).

Spoke to Katy at Carlimits and we can try to have it GT86/ BRZ exclusive.

If we have only 3 of us interested my mate Nick (M3) is always up for another day at North Weald Airfield. 

Let me know if there is enough interest and I will ask Katy to keep this date for us.

If anyone would like to do Snetterton on Aug 29th as well I will organise group booking and discount

I'm coming up on my 20th day at CarLimits. It is brilliant, you will feel the limits and realize how little you know about driving :), but also have a blast, especially in  an 86/BRZ.  In a 4 people day, you get a lot of driving time and will be knackered by the end of the day. The hardest part is after the day is over and you go home and feel like everyone drives ridiculously slow.

As Vad said, It is hard on the tyres, the surface is very abrasive, but you can manage. My last set of PS4s lasted 6 track days and 3 car limits days, and I did not go easy on them - to say the least. My Primacies did not do anywhere near as well.

If you are lucky and get a wet day it is the best training ever for wet surfaces, plus you will be sidways a lot :). But don't worry you will be sideways on a normal day too. And backwards, and all possible angles.

I have booked for August 28th (and then will go to Snetterton track day on 29th).
2 more spaces left I think

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I have booked for August 28th (and then will go to Snetterton track day on 29th).
2 more spaces left I think

Think I'll join you at Snetterton on the 29th Aug mate. Do you have any discount ahead for this one?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Think I'll join you at Snetterton on the 29th Aug mate. Do you have any discount ahead for this one?

Not yet, was planning to organise one after Brands.
But if you up for it thats 3 of us already. May as well organise a discount and garage for this if we have 2 more people interested. Any one else up for it?
Let me call MSVT and I will put it in the calendar

Not yet, was planning to organise one after Brands.
But if you up for it thats 3 of us already. May as well organise a discount and garage for this if we have 2 more people interested. Any one else up for it?
Let me call MSVT and I will put it in the calendar

Cool, not sure if I'll be doing this 4 person day thing yet, more keen for Snetterton but will let you know if I change my mind! Cheers

Snetterton track day for Thursday, August 29th is now in the calendar.

£161 with group discount (+ free garage) when 5 if us book

Hope to see you there