Gingethedrummer

Malian Exhaust? Any good?

Hi all, newbie here! Looking to put a new cat back on my gt86. Heard the milltek and it sounds great so it is the favourite but seen a Malian exhaust on eBay for £350 new. Has anyone had any experience with these exhausts? I know they won't be as good as the milltek but it's half the price? 

2 minutes ago, Gingethedrummer said:

Hi all, newbie here! Looking to put a new cat back on my gt86. Heard the milltek and it sounds great so it is the favourite but seen a Malian exhaust on eBay for £350 new. Has anyone had any experience with these exhausts? I know they won't be as good as the milltek but it's half the price? 

Considering how bad the Milteks are quality wise they probably can't be much worse! 

Never heard of the brand though? 

Milltek exhausts are great until they crack, which they do. For that reason don't get one. Never heard of this brand, so wouldn't touch it. Cobra is a cheapish option. Some love them, it's not one I like, but personal preference and all that. Always better to pick a tried and tested exhaust of which there are a number on here. Also worth remembering if you do want to change the manifold in future get a resonated catback as it will be too loud with a non-resonated exhaust if you go for a manifold at a later date. I went through four Milltek exhausts due to cracking. I now run a TD resonated system which is made by JP Exhausts whose quality is second to none. 

17 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Milltek exhausts are great until they crack, which they do. For that reason don't get one. Never heard of this brand, so wouldn't touch it. Cobra is a cheapish option. Some love them, it's not one I like, but personal preference and all that. Always better to pick a tried and tested exhaust of which there are a number on here. Also worth remembering if you do want to change the manifold in future get a resonated catback as it will be too loud with a non-resonated exhaust if you go for a manifold at a later date. I went through four Milltek exhausts due to cracking. I now run a TD resonated system which is made by JP Exhausts whose quality is second to none. 

I'm not planning on doing the manifold anytime soon, so a non resonated cat back is what I'm going for. The TD non res is £480 and only gets great reviews, decision made! Thanks for your help, the TD isn't one I would have known about!

I would  prob take a chance in it, looks a nice design, (copy of far more exspencive systems), An exhaust has no moving parts so can't really see it as much of a risk to anything even if it failed. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey P said:

I would  prob take a chance in it, looks a nice design, (copy of far more exspencive systems), An exhaust has no moving parts so can't really see it as much of a risk to anything even if it failed. 

My main issue would be the repair costs if it failed because they look fairly small, I don't think there would be much warranty. A TD system is £100 more and everybody raves about them. I do agree with the design though, it looks lovely, like the his system.

1 hour ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

We have some of our systems available at the moment along with free fitting still on offer :) 

Thanks

Mike

Minor thread hijack but Mike do you happen to have a sound clip of your resonated exhaust with the standard manifold?

1 minute ago, Nimz said:

Minor thread hijack but Mike do you happen to have a sound clip of your resonated exhaust with the standard manifold?

I don't have one to hand sorry buddy, i'll have a look later on for you. I should have somewhere....

Mike

So may have gone completely the other way yesterday and I've bough the Malian. Ebay reviews were spot on and I prefer the design, not to mention the £350 price tag. Its T304 stainless and its a decent wall thickness. The joys of my job mean I also know a good few TIG welders should any welds fail. As soon as it's here and fitted I'll let you know!

And @Mike@TD.co.uk, cheers for the info mate, if this exhaust turns out to be too good to be true, you'll be getting a call!

If you still haven't committed purchase imho better would be going for TD deal. Header needs ecu tune to get it's gains fully, and imho TD will do better with specific tune to their header, as package. With some ebay-ish headers one is limited to non-fully optimal generic OTS tunes or to more expensive custom dyno tuning to fine-tune engine to those headers.

@HCGT86 Im well pleased with it! Overall the quality is decent and the fitting was spot on. Its machine welded rather than by hand so there is the potential for weld failures but I know plenty guys who can fix if need be. Now that its carboned up, the sound is perfect for me. Nice deep growl, and a good rasp at high revs. Its resonated so isnt too loud either. So yeah, im delighted! Looks great, sounds great and great value as far as im concerned. Im sure there are better systems out there but not for £350. Theres a pic of it fitted, remind me and ill record a sound bite when the snow is gone!

Screenshot_20180110-220847.png

On 1/7/2018 at 10:28 AM, Gingethedrummer said:

i do its mint :D off ebay good quality for price £350 easy to fit took me 20 mins