kacpr

Replacing clutch

I've been having the squeaky clutch problem for a while and no amount of grease fixes it for a longer while. Took the car to a local garage, they said fixing this would require getting to the clutch and since the car clocked 50k miles already they suggested replacing the clutch while doing so. Now, I've been "riding the clutch" quite a lot before and only just recently got rid of this bad habit, so I'm worried I've worn out the clutch release bearing and I've seen enough horror stories of what that leads to I'm convinced I should look into this before it's too late.

I already bought new clutch kit with a release bearing. Now the technician mentioned I'll need a pin and a bearing arm as well, but I'm not sure what these parts are and where to source them.
Can anyone familiar with the problem tell me what they are and where to order from?

I'm not convinced by these 'horror' stories, I've yet to hear of one ever totally failing on any car. Sure they get noisy, but that's generally about it. You will have prematurely worn the clutch if you ride it. How much life is left in it is difficult to say really. I've done 110K on mine, release bearing doesn't rattle either, though I never ride the clutch and always use the handbrake when stationary. I'm not sure why you'd need the arm really, it's just a lever that moves the bearing in and out when you depress the clutch. The pin is likely what locates the lever to the face of the bearing. You could speak to Richard (Riceburner on here) as you'll only get parts like these from Toyota. I'm really not convinced you'd need them though. 

Should just need clutch kit and some grease afaik. I just had mine replaced and had the clutch kit delivered to rrg to fit, no other extras were mentioned. 

FWIW my release bearing was rattling for over a year without any real issues other than the clutch pedal feeling weird... with the new clutch the car felt completely different! 

This velox billet fork may have it's use with aftermarket clutches. Stock stamped arm can bend if pressed too strongly, making a bit washed out clutch feel, or in some cases - to point of failure, as some reported. This (and another aftermarket billet one, i don't remember brand though) is much more rigid, so should work better with some of aftermarket very firm clutches that many install if going forced induction, to handle more torque. IIRC you need to order throwout bearing separately. For that best to get improved 2017 one. Toyota P/N SU003-07349, Subaru 30502AA150, if i'm not mistakening. For velox clutch fork one can also order this.

I think if you are running a very heavy aftermarket clutch it may have it's uses, but otherwise I'd say it's mostly marketing crap. For an OEM or even slightly heavier pressure plate I cannot see why the stock fork wouldn't last the lifetime of the car. I think the trouble is companies make tons of parts that people don't need and a forged clutch fork just looks like another one to me. 

Lauren: you probably are simply very careful with handling car. You miss whole universe of possible abuses one may throw on car, be it for specific actual need (eg. "clutch hit" in drifting) or due lack of skills. LOL, it's not exactly clutch itself, but my friend driving wrx somehow managed to break pedal assembly, twice :). Well, he burnt clutch once too, but that was due a bit worse handled pull-out of other stuck car attempt, as snow cowered that pulled car was stuck against some object. There are many cases where "would" != "will". As for fork .. there were actual cases where users had theirs broke, and this vendor just designed part to address that.

5 hours ago, kacpr said:

Just to make it clear - I'm not actually going to buy that velox fork, I'll try to find a new OEM one

Speak to Richard at RRG richard.mckay@rrg-group.com see if you actually need one. I'll seriously doubt you do unless your current one is in some way damaged.